May 1, 2018
- The 9th India Japan Energy Dialogue was held in New Delhi
- Objective – To work together for energy security and energy access
- Discussions on Electric Vehicles
- India is ranked joint-sixth in the list of doping violations with 69 cases, same as that of Russia
- According to report for samples collected in 2016 by World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
- The World Anti-Doping Agency is a foundation initiated by the International Olympics Committee based in Canada to promote, coordinate and monitor the fight against drugs in sports
- The 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be held in holy city of Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh) from January 21 to January 23, 2019.
- Its theme will be “Role of Indian Diaspora in building a New India”.
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated on January 9 to mark the contribution of Overseas Indian community in the development of India.
- HARIMAU Shakti – First ever Bilateral joint military training exercise between India and Malaysia
- The commerce ministry has asked FSSAI ( Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) and customs authorities to clear import consignments of food products in about 48 hours at ports with a view to promote ease of doing business at trade front.
- It will help India to improve its ranking in Trading Across Borders which is one of the 10 parameters of ease of doing business.
- India ranked 146th in Trading Across Borders component ranked by World Bank in its latest report.
- The Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act 1958 will continue in Nagaland as it is a special case and the peace agreement hasn’t been finalised.
- Nagaland is the only state in the north east India, apart from eight police stations in Arunachal Pradesh, where the AFSPA continues to be imposed by Union Ministry.
- From 2019, State schools in Rajasthan will observe February 14 as Matr-Pitr Pujan Diwas (Mother – father Puja Day)
- It has been done to counter the growing influence of Western culture among the teenagers.
- Village is declared electrified if 10% of its households have connection as per the Power Ministry.
- Electrified implies that a village has been connected to the grid. It does not imply that all households have access to electricity.
- Makkal Needhi Maiam ( Political Party based out of Tamil Nadu) leader Kamal Haasan launched ‘Maiam Whistle’
- Which will be used to flag civic and socio political issues
- The government has decided not to cut any excise duty on fuels.
- Domestic Cooking Gas (LPG) – The only commodity that is subsidised now
- India has the highest retail prices of petrol and diesel among the South Asian nations as taxes account for half of the pump rates.
- NASA will launch its first-ever mission InSight (Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport) to study the deep interior of Mars
- It is a terrestrial planet explorer which will help in understanding the processs that shaped rocky planets of solar system
- Launch date – May 5, 2018.
- It will be launched from Space Launch Complex-3 at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California
- Launching rocket United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket.
- The rocket will also launch two mini-spacecraft called Mars Cube One (MarCO) which is NASA’s technology experiment
- Harendra Singh has been appointed as the coach of the Indian Hockey Men’s team by Hockey India
- Sjoerd Marijne has been appointed as the chief coach of Women’s Hockey Team
- HDFC Bank has reappointed Keki Mistry as the Managing Director of the firm. He was earlier the Vice-Chairman and CEO.
- Prakash Apte has been appointed as the Part Time Chairman of Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Sajid Javid has been appointed as the Home Secretary of Britain. He is the first South Asian to head the Britain’s Home office.
- May 1st – International Labour Day
- Also known as International Worker’s Day, Labour day, May Day
- The theme of International Labour Day 2018 is “Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement”.
- Indian shooter Shahzar Rizvibecame the world number one shooter in the 10-metre air pistol category after having won a silver medal at the recently concluded shooting World Cup in South Korea
- Barcelona clinched the 25th La Liga Title for the third time in four seasons.
- Sri Lankan filmmaker Lester James Peiris died
- Also regarded as “Father of Sinhala Cinema”
- Former All India Football Federation (AIFF) secretary, P. Lakshmanan passed away.