Current Affairs for 1 May and 2 May 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
STATIC OF THE DAY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- Maharashtra government announces 15% fiscal incentive for the first 1,00,000 Electric Vehicles sold in Maharashtra and registered with RTO.
- ₹5,000 for two-wheelers, ₹12,000 for three-wheelers, and up to ₹1,00,000 for the four-wheelers will be granted.
- To tackle hacking attacks from China and Pakistan, Indian Defence Ministry will form a Defence Cyber Agency (DCA), headquartered in New Delhi, to be headed by Navy officer Mohit Gupta.
- DCA is one of the three agencies along with the Special Forces and Space to be set up after the discussion at the Combined Commanders’ Conference in Jodhpur last year.
- Chandrayaan 2- ISRO’s second mission to moon- would be launched in July.
- It has three modules- Orbiter, Lander (Vikram) and Rover (Pragyan)
- Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle- GSLV MKIII will carry the modules into space.
- Purpose: – It will attempt a soft landing on moon.
- Chandrayaan 1 was launched in 2008 by using PSLV rocket.
- According to data of Directorate General of Commercial Intelligence and Statistics, Iraq has been the top oil suppliers to India in 2018-19 with 46.61 million tonnes during April 2018- March 2019, 2% more than 45.74 mt in 2017-18 fiscal.
- India provisionally imported 207.3 mt of crude oil in 2018-19, down from 220.4 mt in the previous financial year.
- Ministry of Defence has given a ₹6,311 crore contract to build 8 Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Craft (ASWSWCs) for the Indian Navy to Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited (GRSE).
- Cochin Shipyard Ltd. has also got the contract to build 8 ASWSWCs at ₹6,311 crore for the Indian Navy.
- A unique life size stucco sculpture (73 meters in height and 35cm in width) has been excavated at the Buddhist site Phangiri, Telangana by the State Archaeological Department.
- The human sized figurine represents a Bodhisattva belonging to Jathaka Chakra.
- For the second time after 8 years, India will hold a pavilion in the 58th Venice Biennale Arts
- The pavilion’s theme will be “Hundred and Fifty Years of Mahatma Gandhi”
- The Venice Biennale’s 2019 theme will be “Our Time for a Future Caring”.
- US has tightened the asylum policies.
- Now it will charge fees from asylum seekers.
- Barred illegal US entrants from receiving work authorization before any relief or protection is granted.
- Additionally, US gave the limit of 180 days to court for the trial of asylum seekers.
- Russia signed “Sovereign Internet” bill which will allow Russian authorities to isolate the country’s internet
- The bill will lead to censorship over wide parts of the Internet.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- SEBI has banned National Stock Exchange (NSE) for a period of six months from accessing securities markets for co-location.
- They are penalised to pay around Rs 1,000 crore ((i.e. ₹624.89 crore plus 12% interest since April 2014)
- Co-location refers to the system wherein a broker’s server is kept in the exchange premises to reduce latency, or delay in computing terms, while executing trades.
- This has been found out under SEBI (PFUTP) Regulations – Prohibition of Fraudulent and Unfair Trade Practices.
- Income Tax department and GST Network will soon sign an MoU to share their data with each other to avoid mismatches in GST and Income tax returns.
- Microsoft and Dell have entered into a partnership to improvise and upgrade the cloud based technology.
- VMWare virtualization software (owned by Dell) will now run on Azure cloud (owned by Microsoft).
- RBI released its annual report of the Banking Ombudsman for the year 2017-18.
- The report states that 21 Offices received 1,63,590 complaints in the year 2017-18 which is an increase of 24.9% over the previous year.
- The complaints were resolved at a rate of 96.5% as compared to 92% in the previous year.
- The Banking Ombudsman Scheme, 1995 was notified by RBI under Section 35-A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 to provide a faster complaint redressal platform to the customers of banks.
- Bharti AXA General Insurance and Wishfin (web aggregator) have partnered together to provide the two wheeler insurance policy via WhatsApp.
- It is the first company in the domestic non-life insurance industry to provide such option.
- Fitch Group’s agency India Ratings and Research depicted a lower growth rate up to 7.3% from 7.5% for India for 2019-20.
- Reason:- A below normal monsoon prediction by IMD.
- According to the ‘Cyber Insurance in India- Mitigating Risks amid Changing Regulations and Uncertainties‘ report by Data Security Council of India, “Cyber Insurance” witnessed a 40% rise to 350 insurance policies sold in 2018.
- Forbes’ inaugural Blockchain 50 List – the first of its kind list by Forbes – has recognised Metlife for its Vitana
- Vitana is the world’s first, automated insurance solution using blockchain technology to provide financial protection to pregnant women in case of gestational diabetes in Singapore.
- The list was refined to only rank those operating on U.S. soil and having minimum valuation of $1 billion.
- Flipkart owned PhonePe launched the first of its kind, ‘Keyboard’ to facilitate quick and easy transactions.
- OYO Rooms acquired for the first time internationally, European rental @LeisureGroup from German based Axel Springer SE for $369.5 million.
- Asian Development Bank has agreed to finance four metro rail projects and granted a funding of Rs 30,000 to Delhi–Meerut’s Rapid Rail Corridor to improve urban transport.
- ADB had funded for Jaipur and Mumbai metro expansion.
- State Bank of India has implemented the linking of its deposit (of savings accounts with deposits over 1 lakh) and lending (of short term loans) rates to the repo rate of RBI (Already covered in March)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) and Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), have signed an MoU for cooperation on various projects related to e-mobility.
- Naruhito has become the 126th emperor of Japan, to the Chrysanthemum Throne, replacing his father, Akihito.
- Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lankan) has become the first non-Britisher to be appointed as the President of European Marlyebone Cricket Club.
- May Day or International Worker Day or Labour Day is observed on 1st May.
- Theme for 2019:- “United Workers for Social and Economic Advancement”.
- Raheem Sterling, English professional footballer has won the Football Writer’s Association’s Footballer of the Year award.
- 1st Indian Table Tennis Marathon will be organized from 1st-5th May in Delhi by Table Tennis Foundation TT Hall.
- Asian Road Para-Cycling Championship held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- Sathiyan Gnanasekaran has become the first Indian to be ranked among Top 25 by ranking at 24th position in the rankings of International Table Tennis Federation.
- Women Top 5 Rankings:-
- Men’s Top 5 Rankings
- Apurvi Chandela has been ranked at Number 1 in world in 10m Air Rifle event by International Shooting Sports Federation.
- Anjum Moudgil was ranked at the second position.
- Jairam Ramesh wrote the biography of diplomat-politician V K Krishna Menon titled “Chequered Brilliance: The Many Lives of V K Krishna Menon”.
STATIC OF THE DAY
- The Stone chariot Vittala temple (UNESCO World Heritage Site) is in Hampi, Karnataka.
- Koonthankulam Bird Sanctuary is in Tamil Nadu.
- Constitution – Article 239A governs Puducherry, a Legislature’s stand is considered above the administrator’s (LG) and according to Article 239AA, which governs Delhi, administrator’s (LG) stand is considered over Legislature’s.