Current Affairs for August 10 And August 11, 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- A 12-member committee, headed by Justice Mukundakam Sharma, has been formed to select the awardees of: –
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award (award for sports coaches), Dhyan Chand Award (lifetime achievement), Rashtriya Khel Protsahan, & National Sports Awards.
- Ministry of Human Resource and Development has launched the Samagra Siksha – Jal Suraksha drive to create awareness among school students about water conservation.
- Target: – To save 3,650 litres of water in 10 years (1 ltr. in 1 day) with the help of school students.
- University Grants Commission (UGC) has decided to use Swedish software- ‘Urkund’ (free of cost) for detecting plagiarism in the thesis of Ph.D. students.
- It will be used by 900 universities (public and private). Earlier, Turnitin software was used by UGC.
- India’s 1st underwater train (16-km long) will be launched under Hooghly river in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- ‘Odisha Small Savings Incentive Scheme’, under the notation AQ series, has been launched, for the year 2019, to discourage people from investing/transacting with ‘suspicious’ NBFCs.
- Under the scheme, an incentive (cash prize) will be given to encourage the habit of savings in people.
- ‘Shillong Declaration on e-Governance’ has been adopted at the 22nd edition of the National Conference on e-Governance held in Shillong, Meghalaya.
- Total 10 points were mentioned in the declaration which focused on to making e-Governance facilities available to each and every citizens of India.
- Central and State Governments would collaborate to improve the implementation of India Enterprise Architecture (IndEA) to enhance citizens’ experience in govt. services.
[Details of the conference are covered in August 1 doc]
- Odisha has released the Agriculture Policy 2019 draft to strengthen farmers with a special focus on landless labourers in the state.
- Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation (KALIA) scheme, launched in 2018-19, aims to provide financial aid of ₹25,000 per farm family over 5 seasons to small and marginal farmers for purchase of inputs.
- Uttar Pradesh has made the world record by planting over 22 crore saplings in 1 day on 77th anniversary of the Quit India Movement (started on 8 August 1942).
- UP has entered into the Guinness World Records’ for simultaneously distributing 76,823 saplings in just 6 hours across the state.
- Digi Vyapari- Safal Vyapari initiative has been launched by Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) along with HDFC Bank, Mastercard, Common Service Centres and Global Linkers.
- Purpose: – To promote digital payments among merchants by integrating the traders on the e-commerce platform by creating a digital showroom for each of them.
- Jharkhand has launched the Mukhyamantri Krishi Ashirwad Yojana (a direct benefit transfer scheme) to provide financial assistance of Rs 5,000-25,000 to farmers having less that 1 acre to 5 acres of land.
- It aims to benefit approx. 35 lakh farmers and Rs 3000 crore will be deposited into beneficiaries’ account by September-October.
Rs 15,000 and so on
- All SCO members will jointly participate in the military exercise “Tsentr (centre) 2019” under the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in Orenburg, Russia (in Sept).
- The exercise was decided in the 34th SCO Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure council held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan earlier this year.
- Iran, Mongolia, Turkmenistan, and Belarus are the special invitees in the exercise.
- SCO members: –
2. A communication satellite of Israel – AMOS-17 (built by Boeing) has been launched on SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket as a replacement Amos-5 satellite.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Huawei has launched its own operating system- HarmonyOS or HongMeng in Chinese.
- DBS Bank India has tied up with Social Alpha (non-profit start-up incubator) to support startup enterprises that focus on sectors such as inclusion, healthcare, and environment.
- Under the partnership, 3 start-ups – Even Cargo, Trust Circle and Incredible Devices– will be supported over the next 18 months.
- RBL Bank and Practo (digital healthcare platform) have launched a health focussed credit card called “RBL Bank Practo Plus” powered by Mastercard.
- The card aims to encourage prudent expenditure on health.
- India’s first corporate card- ‘Freedom Card’– has been launched by EnKash (a business-to-business payments startup) for SMEs.
- Function: – It allows SMEs and startups to avail credit facility for immediate needs and to manage liquidity.
- Indian Bank and Cholamandalam MS (General Insurance Company) have signed a corporate agency agreement to provide insurance to the bank’s customers across the 2,872 branches of the bank.
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is observed on August 9 by UN.
- Theme: – Indigenous Peoples’ Languages
- According to UN’s data, approximately 370 million indigenous people live across 90 countries in the world.
- According to UN Human Rights Experts, 4 in 10 indigenous languages are at risk of disappearing. Total 7,000 indigenous languages are spoken in the world.
- World Biofuel Day is observed on August 10.
- Theme 2019: – ‘Production of Biodiesel from Used Cooking Oil (UCO)’.
- Rajasthan has become the first state to implement the biofuel rules 2019 to promote the use of biofuels instead of fossil fuels.
- 66th edition of the National Film Awards 2019 (given in 31 categories) has been announced.
- Best Film on Social Issues: – Padman (director: – R. Balki)
- Best Film on Environment Conservation: – Paani (Marathi) directed by Adinath Kothare.
- Best Feature Film: – Hellaro (Gujarati) directed by Abhishek Shah
- Best Director: – Aditya Dhar for Uri: The Surgical Strike
- Best Actor: – Ayushmann Khurrana (Andhadhun), Vicky Kaushal (Uri: the Surgical Strike)
- Best Actress: – Keerthy Suresh (Mahanati)
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has announced the 4th edition of National Entrepreneurship Awards 2019 to honour the entrepreneurs.
- NITI Aayog has launched the 4th edition of Women Transforming India (WTI) Awards under the theme of ‘Women and Entrepreneurship’.
- WTI are provided under the Women Entrepreneurship Platform of NITI Aayog.
- BCCI has agreed to come under the jurisdiction of National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA).