Current Affairs for 10 May 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- INS Kolkata and INS Shakti participated in the joint navy exercise (or the group sail exercise) between United States, Japan and Phillipines in the South China Sea (SCS).
- South China Sea is a disputed maritime region where China claims its sole strategic holdings.
- India (Ministry of Commerce) and China signed a protocol to export chilli meals to China.
- Chilli Meals are the residues of the chillies after oil extraction, which are used in the industrial processes such as making chilli sauce etc.
- This is the fourth protocol signed between India and China. The other three protocols were signed in 2018 for basmati and non-basmati rice, tobacco leaves, fish meal and oil.
- India is the largest producer, consumer and exporter of chillies across the world. Chilly is the largest exported spice of India.
- According to National Sample Survey Office’s (NSSO)recent Technical Report on Service Sector Enterprises in India for the period of July 2016- June 17, 36% of the companies found in the MCA-21 database are not traceable or are wrongly classified.
- MCA-21 database is also used for GDP calculations.
- MCA-21 database is the e-governance initiative of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs to register a company and file statutory documents quickly and easily.
- PM Narendra Modi has become the world’s 2nd most followed politician on social media platforms (like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram) with a 110.9 million followers globally, according to the digital marketing firm’s SEMrush’s report.
- Former US President Barack Obama is 1st on the list with 182.7 million followers whereas present US President Donald Trump is 3rd with 96 million followers.
- Indian Army has designated ‘2019’ as ‘Year of Next of Kin’ to provide awareness to the next of kin of the deceased and serving soldiers’ about their financial entitlements and public welfare schemes and to resolve their pension related issues.
- The Directorate of Indian Army Veterans will be the nodal agency.
- According to a recent research, it is found out that climate change and rising sea level may cause extinction of Royal Bengal Tiger from the Sundarbans.
- Researchers believed that by 2070 the entire suitable tiger habitats will be wiped out from the Bangladesh Sundarbans by this climate change and habitat loss.
- In 2010, the World Wildlife Fund for Nature state that a minor 11-inch rise in water levels can also destroy the tiger population in the area by 96%.
- Royal Bengal Tigers are on the red list of International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) since 2008.
- India has the largest number of tiger population at 2,226.
- India and Vietnam have agreed to strengthen mutual cooperation for the peaceful uses of atomic energy and outer space, defence and security.
- The bilateral trade was nearly USD 14 billion last year.
- Vice President Venkaiah inaugurated the Jaipur Artificial Limb Fitness Camp at the Indian Embassy in Hanoi under the “India for Humanity” Initiative launched in 2018 by Ministry of External Affairs.
- CSIR– Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, for the first time, conducted a genetic study led by Thangaraj on the people of Lakshadweep Islands.
- The study mentions that a majority of human ancestry in Lakshadweep is largely derived from South Asia with minor influences from East and West Eurasia.
- The study was conducted for the major islands of Agatti, Andorth, Bitra, Chetlat, Kadmat, Kalpeni, Kiltan and Minicoy of Lakshadweep.
- International Food and Beverages Alliance (IFBA) and World Health Organization (WHO) have partnered to curb the “Industrially Produced Trans Fats” (iTFAs) from the global food supply by 2023.
- IFBA has committed to ensure that the amount of trans fat does not exceed 2 gram of iTFA per 100 grams of fat/oil in all of their products by 2023..
- As per WHO, around 500,000 people die due to coronary heart diseases caused by trans-fat.
- IFBA member:-
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA/USFDA) has approved world’s first dengue vaccine “Dengvaxia” (CYD-TDV) which has been developed by French pharmaceutical company Sanofi Pasteur.
- Dengvaxia will be used for the people between 9-16 years in the dengue ridden US regions like Puerto Rico etc.
- Mexico was the first country to approve it in the year 2015.
- On the recommendation of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, India has designated May 16 as the National Dengue Day to create awareness about the disease.
- US has launched the first of its kind ‘Global Health Security Strategy’ to combat biological threats and pandemic (epidemics) diseases from spreading US as well as between other countries.
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) is ready set up a Global Registry for Violent Deaths (GReVD) to record the details of deaths caused by various forms of violence.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Ministry of Corporate Affairs has set the threshold limits for filing class action suits which states that member or members representing five per cent of the total members of a company can file a class action lawsuit.
- For an unlisted company, a member or members holding at least 5% of the issued share capital and for listed companies, the limit is 2% which can file for class action lawsuit.
- The amendment is under the National Company Law Tribunal Rules 2016 under the Companies Act, 2013.
- Under Section 245 of the Companies Act, investors can file a class action suit in case they feel that the management or conduct of the affairs of a company are prejudicial to their interests.
- Yes Bank will hire people through the AI-based ‘touchless’ technology to be provided by Talocity company in order to eliminate prejudice in hiring process.
- BharatPe launched a new app “BharatPe for Merchants” which will allow merchants to digitally record their cash/credit (Udhar) sales customer wise, request accounts receivable from customers etc.
- BharatPe is India’s first Fintech start-up to enable payments for merchants through interoperable UPI QR codes.
- Microsoft has launched a free open source Software Development Kit (SDK) called “ElectionGuard” in association with Galois Company as part of its Defending Democracy programme to enable verifiable and just elections.
- ElectionGuard will provide an end to end verification to the voters and the state administration by allowing them to track the auditing of their votes.
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) appointed Igor Stimac as the head coach of India’s men’s football team.
- Former SC judge K S Radhakrishnan has been appointed as a member of the Commonwealth Secretariat Arbitral Tribunal (CSAT) for a period of 4 years w.e.f. 1st June, 2019.
- CSAT is an intergovernmental organization (headquartered in London) which was created to resolve disputes between Commonwealth nations or intergovernmental organizations that accept CSAT’s jurisdiction.
- Global Road Safety Week is observed between May 6-12 every year by United Nations.
- Theme for 2019:- “Leadership for Road Safety”.
- Amul will sponsor Afghanistan’s team and Kent RO will sponsor Sri Lanka’s team in the ICC cricket World Cup 2019 which will be held in Wales, UK.
- Indian team is being sponsored by Chinese company-Oppo and other partners.