Current Affairs for 11 And 12 May 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- A 30-member all women Anti-Naxal Commando Unit called ‘Danteshwari Ladake’ has been deployed in Naxal-affected areas of Bastar and Dantewada, in
- This is first-of-its-kind military unit.
- Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Hyderabad has been ranked at the 8th position among the 132 airports surveyed by AirHelp.
- Hamad International Airport, Qatar has been ranked at the first position.
- Lisbon Portela Airport, Portugal is at 132nd
- In terms of Airline Experience, Qatar Airways is the best airlines and Thomas Cook Airline is at the last(72).
- Built at a height of 14000 ft above the sea level, India has created its first ever natural ice café in Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Border Road Organisation (BRO) officials have created this café.
- The government has prohibited import of second-hand or refurbished electronics and IT goods without registration with the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
- Under the Electronics and IT Goods (Requirement of Compulsory Registration) order 2012, imports of these goods is allowed through the registration with the BIS or on specific exemption letter from the Ministry of IT and Electronics (MeitY).
- According to a report, the country’s electronics imports has increased to USD 55.6 billion in 2018-19 from USD 51.5 billion in 2017-18.
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay) has developed a microprocessor called ‘AJIT’, the first to be conceptualised, designed, developed and manufactured in India.
- It could reduce the country’s dependence on imports.
- US aerospace major Boeing has handed over first of the 22 AH-64E (I) Apache Guardian attack helicopters to the Indian Air Force.
- The Apache is seen as the first attack helicopter in India’s defence arsenal.
7. As per the report titled ‘Sand and Sustainability: finding new solutions for environmental governance of global sand resources‘, released by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), India and China top a list where illegal sand mining has become a key environmental issue.
- After water, sand and gravel are the second largest natural resources extracted.
- In 2017, China recorded the highest use of cement (which includes sand aggregates) in the world at an estimated 4 billion tonnes.
- India was at second position with 270 million tonnes.
- It was followed by the USA at 3 million tonnes.
- Konkan Railways Corporation Ltd has signed a contract agreement with Nepal’s Department of Railways to supply two 1600 HP DEMU train sets.
- DEMU stands for Diesel Electric Multiple Unit.
- The World Trade Organisation (WTO) Ministerial meeting of developing countries will be hosted in New Delhi.
- Samsung has launched the world’s first highest resolution image sensor of 64 megapixels.
- The objective is to meet the growing demand for smartphones with better image quality.
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has decided to hold Ocean Conference 2020 in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Theme: “Scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: Stocktaking, Partnerships and Solutions.”
- Singapore has detected the first ever case of “monkey pox virus”.
- Monkey pox is a rare disease caused by the virus that is transmitted from animals, such as rodents and monkeys (through the hunting and consumption of bush meat), to humans.
- Japan has started testing its fastest-ever bullet train – ALFA-X – capable of reaching 400 kilometers per hour (249 mph).
- The ALFA-X is the version of Shinkansen train.
- Shinkansen is the term used to describe bullet trains in Japan.
5. Republic of Ireland has become the second country in world to declare a climate emergency.
- UK was the first country in the world to declare a climate emergency.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Tata Consultancy Services(TCS) has surpassed Reliance Industries Limited to become India’s most valued firm in terms of market capitalization.
- As per BSE data, the market-cap of TCS stood at 8.13 trillion whereas the market-cap of RIL was Rs.7.95 trillion.
- Tijjani Mohammad Bande, Nigerian Professor, has been appointed as the new President of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- Bollywood actress Dia Mirza was selected among the 17 Sustainable Development Goal advocates committed to the pursuit of 17 goals of SDG.
- The World Migratory Bird Day for 2019 is observed on May 11.
- It falls on the second Saturday in May and October.
- Theme for 2019 – “Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution!”
2. Each year on May 11, National Technology day is observed to mark technological advancements of India.
- It’s the 21st anniversary of the launch of Shakti-I nuclear missile at Pokhran in 1998.
- The world’s first exclusive women’s cricket magazine ‘Criczone’ was released.
- It is the world first magazine which features only women cricketers.
- The wildlife experts of Portugal have confirmed the first brown bear sighting in Portugal in more than a century.
- It was spotted in the Montesinho Natural Park and Braganca commune in north-eastern Portugal.
- Brown bears have been extinct in Portugal since the 19th century.
- ITC Chairman, Yogesh Chander Deveshwar, passed away recently.