May 12, 2018
- Indian Customs and Department of India Posts held a first-ever Joint Conference in
VigyanBhavanin New Delhi to deliberate on streamlining of imports and exports by post.
- Imports and exports by post are the 6th highest cited citizen grievances under Centralized Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMs).
- General Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army the Staff released the book ‘Across the Bench – Insight into the Indian Military Judicial System‘ by Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan, former Army Commander, and Member ‘A’, Armed Forces Tribunal, Lucknow Bench.
- The book deals with military judicial system vis-a-vis command and management issues within the military establishments.
- Punjab State Government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with United Kingdom (UK) for setting up of biogas and bio- Compressed natural gas (CNG) plants in the state.
- The objective of this MoU is to find viable and sustainable solutions to paddy straw burning
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh launched Vikas Yatra from Dantewada district aimed at spreading awareness about the development
- During the course of this Vikas Yatra, free pesticides will be distributed to 5.5 lakh laborers.
- Smart Phone will be distributed to 50 Lakh families under Sanchar Kranti Yojana.
- Maharashtra State Government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Centre’s Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) Council to train state’s Public Works Department (PWD) officials to rate government buildings.
- Maharashtra has thus become the first state to sign such MoU with GRIHA
- The objective of this rating exercise is to encourage environment-friendly/green buildings, that are designed, constructed, maintained and demolished using environmentally responsible processes and materials.
- Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Radha Mohan Singh laid the foundation stone of the frozen semen station in Maranga, Purnea, Bihar.
- This has been set up under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission.
- The “Rashtriya Gokul Mission” aims to conserve and develop indigenous breeds in a focused and scientific manner
- A notification of the non-functional (monetary) scheme (NFS)and its implementation for members of the general executive cadre of the Jammu and Kashmir Police Service (JKPS) has been approved in Jammu and Kashmir
- This scheme seeks placement of Jammu and Kashmir Police Service (JKPS) officers in higher scales.
- Supreme Court of India approved “Compensation Scheme for Women Victims/Survivors of Sexual Assault/other crimes”, a scheme for mandatory grant of compensation to victims of sexual assault and acid attack.
- Under the scheme, a compensation fund will be set up and it would be managed by State Legal Services Authority(SLSA).
- Compensation for gangrape victim will be in the range of Rs 5 lakh to Rs. 10 lakh, minimum compensation of 4 lakh is to be paid in case of rape or unnatural sexual assault while for acid attack victims minimum compensation will be Rs 7 lakh for total disfigurement and Rs 5 lakh in case of 50% burns.
- The grant of monetary relief is not linked with the trial of such cases in court.
- Rs 16,500 crore has been allotted by 71 ministries and departments of the central government for implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) in 2018-19.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oli jointly inaugurated direct bus service between Janakpur (Nepal) and Ayodhya (India).
- Both are sacred cities for Hindus and bus service was launched as part of India’s Ramayan Circuit under Swadesh Darshan Scheme to promote religious tourism in Nepal and India.
- The government has identified 15 destinations in India for development under Ramayana Circuit
- Ministry of Tourism has decided to expand Buddhist tourism circuit under Swadesh Darshan Scheme to 21 more states to make it India’s first trans-national tourist circuit.
- Currently, it is envisaged only to seven major Buddhist pilgrimage sites in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
- The California-based aerospace company, SpaceX has blasted off its most powerful Falcon 9 rocket, which is certified to carry humans to space later this year.
- The Block 5 Falcon 9 rocket’s main goal for its maiden mission is to propel the first high-orbit communications satellite for Bangladesh, called Bangabandhu Satellite-1.
- As per Credit rating agency Fitch, Indian economy is projected to grow at 3 percent in current fiscal i.e. 2018-19 and 7.5 percent in next fiscal.
|RBI||7.4%||7.4% – 7.9%|
|Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)||7.3% -7.7%|
|Asian Development Bank||7.3%||7.6%|
|International Monetary Fund (IMF)||7.4%||7.8%|
|India’s Rating and Research||7.4%|
|CRISIL (Last Update – March)||7.5%|
|CSO||7% – 7.5%|
- Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. (ADNOC) will supply the first oil cargo for India’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) of 2 million barrels, becoming the first foreign company to lease storage in the country.
- US President Donald Trump’s administration has canceled NASA’s Carbon Monitoring System (CMS) programme citing reasons of budget constraints and higher priorities within science budget
- NASA’s CMS Programme costing $10 million per year was meant to track carbon and methane, key greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has put state-run lender Dena Bank under Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework.
- It has barred Dena Bank from extending fresh credit in view of deteriorating financial health due to mounting non-performing assets (NPAs) and mounting losses.
- It makes Dena Bank first lender
toface curbs on lending under PCA framework.
- Pawan Kumar Agarwal was given three months extension as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- Bollywood singer Mohit Chauhan has been nominated as the Green Ambassador of the Sikkim by Sikkim government.
- International Nurses Day (IND)is celebrated every year all around the world on 12th of May to commemorate the birth anniversary of the Florence Nightingale and to mark the nurse’s contributions towards people’s health.
- The International Council of Nurses (ICN) has chosen the theme “Nurses A Voice to Lead – Health is a Human right”
- On12th May 2018, the World Migratory Bird Day was celebrated throughout the world.
- Theme – “Unifying our Voices for Bird Conservation”.
- To be held on second weekend of May every year.
- Also, 2018 is the “Year of the Bird”.
- Three Indian alumni of UK universities have been awarded by the British Council for their outstanding achievements and contribution to the country.
- Saumya Saxena – Professional Achievement Award
- Ruchi Shah – Social Impact Award
- Sushant Desai – Entrepreneurial Award
- Rafael Nadal broke a 34-year-old record by winning his 50th straight set on clay, the most consecutive sets won by a player on a surface
- A rock sample found eight years ago in Champua, in Kendujhar district of Odisha has been declared the world’s second oldest rock.
- Zircon is the oldest rock on Earth in an arid region north of Perth, Australia
- Ankit Chadha, a renowned storyteller died in an accident
- He was popular for his unique style of storytelling in Urdu
NOTE: The GDP projection by Fitch was mistakenly mentioned as 7.6% in the video “Daily Current Affairs for May 9, 2018”. The data has been updated.