May 14, 2018
WORD OF THE DAY
A high-growth company that has more than doubled its revenue over a four year period. They can range in size from start-ups to large corporations, through a majority of them are on the smaller end of the scale.
- Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan launched Green Skill Development Programme (GSDP) aimed to train over 5.5 lakh workers in environment and forest sectors.
- Under this programme 5 lakh individuals across India will be provided training in environment and forest sectors through 30 courses by 2021
- Objective is skilling the youth of India, especially dropouts.
- A related app was also launched GSDP-ENVIS
- First workshop on Ayushman Bharat Program was held in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh on May 14, 2018.
- Under this scheme, Government has set a target to set up 1.5 lakh wellness centres by 2022 to deliver comprehensive primary healthcare
- It is Centrally Sponsored health insurance scheme of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).
- According to the ‘Clampdowns and Courage-South Asia Press Freedom Report 2017-18’, released recently by the UNESCO, India alone accounted for 82 out of 97 instances of Internet shutdown among South Asian countries between May 2017 and April 2018.
- Half of the cases were experienced in Kashmir Valley.
- Internet shutdown is referred to as any intentional disruption of the broadband or mobile Internet or Internet-based mobile apps, by an order of the authorities or threat of non-state party, to control communication or online content or slowing down the access to the general public.
- As per report, titled ‘Impact of mortality and fertility transitions in Kerala on migration and its implications for state’s economy’Kerala is currently experiencing an advanced demographic transition.
- As the mortality and fertility levels have come down, so migration will play a critical role in shaping the future demographic scenario of the state.
- The first edition of the International Children’s Film Festival of Kerala is held in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Two new National Highways have been inaugurated-
- 4 – lane NH15 – From Amritsar to Bhatinda – 175 Kms
- NH64 – From Zirakpur to Bhatinda – 216 Kms
- Also, foundation stone was laid for 2-lane with paved shoulders of the Munak-Jhakhal-Budhlana section of NH-144B in Punjab
- A seminar on Humanitarian and Disaster relief (HADR) was conducted at Subroto Park, New Delhi
- IIM-Ahmedabad’s Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) has launched a Bharat Inclusion Initiative to develop knowledge, innovation and entrepreneurship in areas like financial inclusion, livelihood, education and health.
- CIIE will invest in seed and pre-Series-A start-ups through Bharat Inclusion Seed Fund.
- The government announced the inclusion of 200 more wholesale mandis to the eNAM
- eNAM – e – National Agricultural Market
- As of now 585 mandis of 14 states have been linked. These 14 states are Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarkhand
- eNAM – Its an online trading platform of agricultural commodities aimed at bringing all the wholesale mandis (marketplace) at one place electronically to help them engage in trade and transactions virtually without any geographical barriers.
- It is also a mobile app that can be accessed through 8 different regional languages supported by it.
- Department of Telecom (DoT) approved the merger of Telenor India with Bharti Airtel.
- India’s highest advisory body on drugs, Drug Technical Advisory Board, will soon come up with a mechanism that will help consumers to check whether the medicines that they have purchased are genuine by texting a unique code to be printed on the medicine’s package.
- Hinduja National Power Corp., part of the Hinduja Group has acquired Kiran Energy Solar Power for around Rs 1,000 Crores.
- The Hinduja Brothers have been named as the second wealthiest in Britain’s annual rich list.
- Chemical Entrepreneur Jim Ratcliffe secured the first position.
- Nepal will be the host for the upcoming 2018 BIMSTEC Summit.
- Bay of Bengal Initiative of Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation Summit
- It is a sub-regional group of seven countries namely Bangladesh, India, Bhutan, Nepal, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand in the South-Asia region.
- China’s SHAREit acquired South Indian movie app Fastfilmz
- Karam Malhotra will be the CEO of SHAREit India.
- China’s first domestically manufactured aircraft carrier known only as “Type 001A” started sea trials from Dalian port in Liaoning province.
- Roger Federer has replaced Rafael Nadal as world no. 1 in the men’s singles tennis ATP rankings published on May 14, 2018.
- The Indian U-16 national football team emerged as champions of the Four-Nation Tournament in Serbia.
- Four Nations – India, Serbia, Jordan and Tajikistan
- Women’s Tennis Ranking (WTA)
- Scientists of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have progressed in the development of an environment-friendly propellant to power satellites and spacecraft.
- It is to replace the conventional hydrazine rocket fuel with a greener propellant.
- Renowned wildlife photographer Latika Nath unveiled her book ‘Hidden India’ in New Delhi.
- The book is to promote the protection of Indian Elephants.
- She is India’s first female biologist with a doctorate on tigers and was named “The Tiger Princess” by National Geographic.