Current Affairs for 15 April and 16 April 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- The Drugs Technical Advisory Board (DTAB), India’s highest advisory body on drugs decided to notify medical devices as drugs under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act (DCA).
- Once notified, import, manufacture and sale of all medical devices will need to be certified by the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO).
- The negotiations for C-295 transport aircraft are completed and they require approval from Defence Acquisition Council (DAC).
- It will replace the Avro fleet.
- As per Delhi High Court, the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), prevails over the Bankruptcy Act and Insolvency Code when it comes to attachment of properties obtained as “proceeds of crime“.
- However, PMLA, Recovery of Debt and Bankruptcy Act (RDBA), Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Securities Interest (SARFAESI) Act and Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) must co-exist and be enforced in harmony.
- As per Commerce Ministry, India’s ever-rising trade deficit with China narrowed by $10 billion to $53 billion for the first time in 2018-19.
- But the analysis shows that China exports to India through Hong Kong to hide the actual extent of its trade surplus with India.
- India’s trade deficit with China and Hong Kong combined widened to $60.1 billion in 2018 from $55.4 billion in 2017.
- Spare parts for making mobile phones—its highest importing item from China by value—contracted 34.1% to $3.9 billion in 2018, import of the same item from Hong Kong rose 728% to $1.3 billion during that period.
- Union Cabinet, chaired by PM Narendra Modi has approved continuation of the ongoing Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) programme phase-4 consisting of five rocket flights during 2021-2024.
- It is an expendable launch system operated by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- The MoU which was signed in March between India and Denmark in the field of renewable energy with a focus on offshore wind energy has been approved by the Cabinet.
- The letter of intent for establishment of Indo-Danish Centre of Excellence for renewable energy in India.
- “EsselWorld Bird Park”, India’s first interactive and exotic bird park, was launched in Mumbai by EsselWorld Leisure Pvt. Ltd.
- The park is home to more than 50 species of volant, terrestrial and aquatic birds.
- Water Kingdom Park in Mumbai is the largest theme water park in Asia.
- India’s first indigenously designed and developed long range Sub Sonic Cruise Missile “Nirbhay” was successfully tested from Odisha’s coast by ISRO.
- It is designed by Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
- The Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy (CDDEP), in its report stated the following observations: –
- Around 5.7 million antibiotic-treatable deaths occur in low and middle income countries.
- According to CDDEP report, India has a shortage of doctors and nurses, shortage stands at 600,000 and 2 million respectively.
- In CDDEP report, patients per doctor ration is 10,189: 1 and patients per nurse is 483: 1, against the WHO specified ratio of 1000: 1 patients per doctor.
- The authorities are planning to upgrade the Nandhaur Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttarakhand to Tiger Reserve due to increase in population of tigers.
- China successfully tested its indigenously designed, World’s First Amphibious Drone Boat ‘Marine Lizard’ or ‘Marine Boat’ which can lead land & sea assault.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- The transactions via the UPI platform saw a remarkable growth of over 400% vaulted to ₹1.35 lakh crore in March 2019 from just ₹27,000 crore in April 2018.
- According to data released by Ministry of Commerce and Industry, India’s combined (merchandise + services) exports grew 7.97%, standing at $535.45 billion in 2018-19.
- Amplus Energy Solutions Pvt. Ltd., one of India’s largest rooftop solar power producer has been acquired by Malaysia’s state-run oil and gas company, Petroliam Nasional Bhd or Petronas for ₹2,700 crore.
- NBFCs and Micro Finance companies raised Rs. 26,200 crores through securitization in FY19, indicating a growth of 170% from FY18, according to a report by ICRA.
- MS Dhoni has been appointed as the brand ambassador of redBus- online bus ticketing portal.
- 20th Victor Dutch International Badminton Title 2019 has been conferred upon Shuttler Harshil Dani from Mumbai.
- Presently, he ranks at 111 position in the world.
- Golfer Tiger Woods won his fifth US Masters Tournament and 15th major title at Augusta National Golf Club.
- Padma Shree awardee, former Director of ISAC & ISTRAC, SK Shivakumar passed away.
- ISAC- Indian Space Research Organisation Satellite Centre
- ISTRAC- ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network