Current Affairs for 15 May 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- Indian Readership Survey (IRS) Q1 2019 published by Media Research Users Council mentions Hindustan Times as the top English daily in Delhi-NCR and Mumbai with combined daily readership of 2.72 million.
- HT is the second most read English newspaper in the country with 3.39 million readers.
- Mint is on the second spot as the most read business daily in India after Economics Times.
- A pilot project to assess the yield estimates at the panchayat level by using technologies such as satellite and remote sensing data, unmanned aerial vehicles and artificial intelligence is being undertaken by Agriculture Ministry.
- Purpose: – to reduce the time consumption of the crop-cutting experiments (CCE) and to provide an accurate database of the yield for Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana.
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer Welfare
To provides a comprehensive insurance cover against failure of the crop thus, stabilising the income of the farmers.
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary (WWS) (a biodiversity hotspot in the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve) holds the largest tiger population (75 tigers) in Kerala (176 total), according to the monitoring programme of the Forest Department for 2017-18.
- The Periyar and Parambikulam tiger reserves were at the second spot with 25 tigers each, identified in camera traps.
- Kerala has proposed guidelines to de-link the brain death certification and organ donation to optimise ICU care facilities in the state.
- Implication: – After de-linking, the patients with brain death cases whose family has refused to donate the organs will no longer be provided the ICU care.
- In India, brain death has been defined only in connection with organ donation, in the Transplantation of Human Organs Act 1994.
- ICMR- National Institute of Immunohaematology (NIIH), Mumbai has developed the cost-effective point of care (POC) rapid diagnostic test for Haemophilia A and von Willebrand disease (VWD).
- This is world’s first POC test for specific diagnosis of any common bleeding disorder.
- According to Hemophilia Federation of India, approx. 20727 people are suffering from Hemophilia in India (data till 31st March 2018) and about 3% is attributable to von Willebrand disease (VWD).
- It costs less than ₹50, while other existing diagnostic kits cost between ₹4,000 and ₹10,000.
- ‘International Army Scouts Masters Competition’– a part of the 5th Edition Of International Army Games– will be hosted by India in Jaisalmer for the first time.
- Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Zimbabwe, Armenia, Belarus and China and India are participating.
- Indian Army, Navy and Air Force held a joint exercise “Bull Strike” in Teressa Island in Andaman and Nicobar.
- Geological Survey of India (GSI) found 35% of India’s graphite deposits in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Arunachal Pradesh could be the leading producer of graphite in the country in future, reducing the country’s graphite imports.
- Indian Central Government has extended the ban on LTTE (The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) for 5 years.
- According to 2011 Census data, English is the primary language (mother tongue) of 256,000 people, the second language of 83 million people, and the third language of another 46 million people, making it the second-most widely spoken language after Hindi in India.
- 528 million speak Hindi as a first It is both the most widely spoken first and second language in India.
- English is the 44th most widely spoken first language and it is the second most widely spoken 2nd language of India.
- NASA has renamed its mission to send humans – particulary woman astronaut to moon as ‘Artemis’ (a Greek goddess) by 2024.
- No woman has ever been to moon.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) has agreed to give $6 billion bailout to Pakistan, to be provided over three-years. This is 13th bailout of Pakistan from IMF since 1980s.
- Purpose: – To strengthen a slowing economy.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- State Bank of India (SBI) has written off over ₹1 trillion (₹61,663 cr. in 2018-19 and ₹40,809 cr. in 2017-18) worth of loans in the 2 years ended 31 March 2019.
- With this write off, SBI’s outstanding gross non-performing assets (NPAs) declined 23% year-on-year (y-o-y) to ₹1.72 trillion.
- According to Bloomberg’s data, India’s total market capitalization has fallen 4.8% in terms of dollar, losing $104.7 billion in May, sliding two notches down to 9th position from its earlier position with market cap of $2.08 trillion.
- China witnessed the highest downfall upto 5.59%. US tops this index of market cap.
- Citibank India and Paytm have together launched Paytm’s firs Credit Card called as the Paytm First Card that will give 1% cashback on every transaction.
- The card comes at a fee of Rs 500 per year, but it will be exempted if the annual spends on the card exceed Rs 50,000.
- Disney has acquired full stake of Comcast’s company in Hulu (the streaming services platform).
- Disney has guaranteed a sale price for Comcast’s stake in Hulu that will represent a valuation for the streaming-video joint venture of at least $27.5 billion.
- Bharati Airtel has partnered with HDFC Life Insurance to provide a term life insurance to the value of 4 lakh to its prepaid customers (between 18 to 54 years of age) buying the plan of Rs 249.
6. ICICI Bank and Goibibo has launched the co-branded multicurrency travel card called ‘Goibibo ICICI Bank Travel Card’ which is accepted across 200 countries and 49 million merchants.
- Customers will get 40 paise discount on the currency conversion rate on loading of minimum USD 1,000 in addition to the complimentary card protection from theft/loss up to Rs 5 lakh.
- Non-ICICI customers can also apply for this card.
- World Insurance Report 2019 published by Capegemini and Efma reveals policyholders are concerned that their insurance coverage has become insufficient for emerging risks, from cybersecurity to environmental
- Among business customers, 87% are at risk of cyberattacks with less than 18% comprehensively insured; and almost 75% are threatened by rising natural catastrophes, for which just 22% are effectively covered.
- Bitcoin has risen above the $8,000 mark, almost doubling in value since the start of the year.
- Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency, a form of electronic cash.
- Reserve Bank of India has appointed Gandhi as an additional Director on the board of Yes Bank with immediate effect for a 2 years term.
- Dinesh Pangtey has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) Mutual Fund.
- Salman Khan has been appointed as the brand ambassador of BharatPe.
- Former Supreme Court judge, Justice A K Sikri has been appointed as the chairperson of News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA) by the News Broadcasters Association (NBA).
- Mary Kom is participating for the first time in the 2nd edition of India Open Boxing Tournament in Guwahati, Assam.
- Badminton World Federation (BWF) launched a new outdoor game, AirBadminton, and a new outdoor shuttlecock, the AirShuttle.
- Asian Football Confederation will have for the first time an all-female referee team that will take charge of a men’s continental club cup clash.
- Pakistan’s Sana Mir became the highest wicket-taking women spinner in ODI cricket by taking the 147th wicket against South Africa in ongoing International Cricket Council (ICC) Women’s Championship in Benoni, South Africa.
- For the first time, all the 10 teams participating in the ICC World Cup 2019 will have an anti-corruption officer with them throughout the course of the world cup.
- Indian cricketer Yuzvendra Chahal and High Times Solutions (HTS)- India’s leading sports and entertainment management company- launched CheQmate, an industry leading lifestyle brand in India at the World Cup send-off ceremony in Gurugram.