Current Affairs for 17 April and 18 April 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- Union Ministry of Home Affairs nods for the renaming of Durjanpur village in Madhya Pradesh as Shivdham.
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) set up the Indo-Pacific Wing in the Foreign Office, which integrates the Indian-Ocean Rim Association, ASEAN region and Quad to the Indo-Pacific table.
- Temporarily headed by joint secretary Vikram Doraiswami.
- The new division will put an edge to the Indo-Pacific policy, discussed by PM Narendra Modi in the Shangri La Dialogue in 2018.
- 2nd Edition of Indo-Vietnam Bilateral Maritime Exercise “IN- VPN Bilat Ex” concluded on 16th April 2019 at Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam.
- INS Shakti and INS Kolkata participated in it.
- Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) issued guidelines for monetization of non-core assets of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE) and immovable enemy properties.
- After identification as non-core assets, monetization must be done within 12 months from the date of approval, as per the guidelines.
- Immovable enemy property will be sold after consultation with stake holders including the respective state governments.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- The Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT), an arm of RBI, has launched a 5G Use Cases Lab for banking and financial sector.
- Point of Sale and other banking services will be upgraded to 5G.
- IDBI Bank launched paperless facility to open bank account for NRIs (residing in Financial Action Task Force member countries) through NRI-Insta-Online process.
- No KYC Proofs and paper document, in physical terms, are required to be submitted in the bank branches.
- The FATF is an inter-governmental body established in 1989 to set measures for combating money laundering, terrorist financing and other related threats to the integrity of the international financial system.
- FATF comprises of 36 member jurisdictions and 2 regional organisations.
- Competition Commission of India approved merger of Bandhan Bank and GRUH Finance Ltd (a subsidiary of HDFC Ltd.- Housing Finance in India).
- Bandhan Bank – Headquarters – Kolkata, MD & CEO – Chandra Shekhar Ghosh
- Canara bank has become the first Public Sector bank to switch completely to the EMV chip-and-pin across its all ATM card network and Aadhar authentication.
- EMV is an initiative by Europay, MasterCard and Visa companies to ensure security standards in ATM transactions and to reduce frauds through stolen, lost or counterfeit ATM cards.
- In order to understand the technicalities of crypto assets better, World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) have launched a private blockchain and quasi- cryptocurrency “Learning Coin”.
- Learning Coin is a quasi-crypto currency and thus does not have any monetary value attached to it.
- ET Money has become India’s First Comprehensive app for Financial Services integrated Unified Payment Interface (UPI) in its payment modes.
- The integration aims to improve customer experience in Mutual Funds payments and increasing the customer base for the app by the end of 2019.
- Rajesh Kumar Yaduvanshi has been appointed as the Executive Director of Punjab National Bank.
- Sanjay Kumar, has become the First Indian to be included in the US’ prestigious National Geospatial Advisory Committee (NGAC).
- World Hemophilia Day is observed on 17th April across the world.
- Theme of 2019: – “Reaching Out: The First Step to Care.”
- Hemophilia is a rare disorder in which blood doesn’t clot normally because it lacks sufficient blood-clotting proteins.
- World Heritage Day is observed on 18th April every year.
- Theme of 2019 – ‘Rural Landscapes’
- Prestigious United States award Pulitzer Prize 2019 has been announced for appreciating contributions in various fields of Literature, Journalism, Newspaper, Magazine and Music.
- The important ones have been listed below. If you wish to go through the entire list of Pulitzer awards, you can use the link – https://www.pulitzer.org/prize-winners-by-year
Staff of The Wall Street Journal
1. Staff of Reuters, with notable contributions from Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo
2. Maggie Micheal, Maad Al-Zikry and Nariman El- Mofty of Associated Press
Public Service Reporting
Staff of South Florida Sun Senitel
Letter, Drama and Music
The Overstory by Richard Powers
P r i s m, by Ellen Reid
Fairview by Jackie Sibblies Drury
- Indian teams win NASA’s Annual Human Exploration Rover Challenge 2019
KIET Group of Institutions in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh
“AIAA Neil Armstrong Best Design Award”
Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management and Engineering, Mumbai, Maharashtra
“Frank Joe Sexton Memorial Pit Crew Award”
Lovely Professional University in Phagwara, Punjab,
“STEM Engagement Award”
- Fincare Small Finance Bank was awarded Celent Model bank award 2019 in Financial inclusion category for ‘Redesigning Lending to reach Small Businesses’.
- ICC Cricket for Good, in partnership with UNICEF launched the tournament-wide campaign #Oneday4Children at the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019.
- The ambassador of the tournament is Nasser Hussain.
- The campaign aims to help children to “play cricket and stay healthy”.
- The raised funds will be utilized in UNICEF’s operations for children, in cricket playing nations.
- Indian Cricket Women’s Team captain Mithali Raj has been appointed as the Goodwill Ambassador of the Indian team participating in the Street Child Cricket World Cup 2019.
- This is the First edition of Street Child Cricket World Cup 2019 will take place before ICC World Cup 2019 in London.
- It is an initiative to make the voice and talent of street children visible to the world.
- Singapore Open (Badminton) 2019
- Current ranking of Kento Momota is 1st in the world.
Kento Momota (Japan)
Tai- Tzu-Ying (Taiwan)
- The Hunchback of Notre-Dame of Victor Hugo becomes the Worldwide Number 1 seller in English under two sub-categories of Historical fiction.