October 17, 2018
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, on the occasion of World Food Day, launched ‘Khadya Sathi’ Special assistance will be given to:
- The people of Jangalmahal and Hill areas besides Aila-affected areas and farmers of Singur, tea garden workers as well as the Toto tribe.
- The scheme will provide food assistance to more than 8.5 Crore people.
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) would soon be setting up a skill development
centreat ‘Bharosa,’ an integrated support centrefor distressed women and children in Hyderabad, Telangana.
centrewould be aimed at empowering vulnerable and marginalisedwomen by imparting skills training.
- Since its establishment in 2016, a total of 3,560 victims have approached the
centrewith a range of problems.
- Tata Motors Ltd has created a separate division to tap its entire range of passenger and commercial vehicles for offering shared mobility solutions known as Mobility Innovations Hub.
- Tata Motors is the first automaker in India to create a separate unit exclusively for shared mobility as it makes an entire gamut of vehicles needed for last-mile connectivity ranging from small cars to trucks and buses.
- The Union Government launched
nationalcampaign ‘Swasth Bharat Yatra’ on occasion of World Food Day (observed on 16 October) to sensitisepeople about eating safe food and be healthy.
- The campaign has been launched in association with states and led by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- According to
recentstudy, India accounts for over a third of the world’s annual female suicides and nearly a fourth of male suicides.
- India has the sixth highest female suicide death rate in the world.
- If Indian states were countries, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and West Bengal would have the third, fourth and fifth worst rates of female suicide in the world (only Greenland and Lesotho are worse).
- The three Indian states with the highest age-standardized suicide rates among men— Tripura, Karnataka
andTamil Nadu—would be the 11th, 17th and 20th highest in the world if they were countries.
- For both sexes in India, suicide was the leading cause of death among those aged 15-39 in 2016, while globally it was the third most common cause of death for this age group.
- According to a report called Breach Level Indexby digital security firm Gemalto, data breach incidences in India were the second highest globally in
firsthalf of 2018.
- It is due to compromises in the Aadhaar database.
- India is second to the US which represents more than 57
per centof global breaches.
- 945 data breaches led to 4.5 billion data records being compromised worldwide in the first half of 2018.
- Out of this, India accounted for over 1 billion data during the first six months of 2018.
- According to a World Health
Organization report, India is the world’s most depressed country, closely followed by China and the US.
- At least 5 percent of the Indian population
sufferfrom some form of the seriousmental disorder.
- Also according to the 2015-16 National Mental Health Survey (NMHS)implemented by
NationalInstitute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bengaluru, every sixth person in India needs mental health help.
- At least 5 percent of the Indian population
RailRestroin partnership with Yescom Global Kart Pvt Ltd, launched their very own food delivery fleet brand named
- This will ensure proper food deliveries to people who order food online in trains via e-catering service modes.
- A Korean War memorial will be built in New Delhi to commemorate India’s role in the war which ended in an armistice in 1953.
- There were 21 countries which participated in the Korean War of 1950-53 of which 16 countries had sent combat troops. India sent medical teams and a custodian force to deal with the Prisoners of War (PoW).
- The government clarified that there is no time bar on reporting child sexual abuse.
- Section 19 of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO), which deals with sexual crimes against children, lays down the procedure for reporting a crime but doesn’t specify a time limit or statute of limitation for reporting it.
- This is an important step for survivors of child abuse, who may try to file a complaint as adults but are turned away at police stations.
- ‘UAE PLUS’ – 6th UAE-India High-Level Joint Task Force meeting was held to facilitate investments and resolve any business issues between the two nations.
- Sri Lanka constituted
a 8-10member ‘Break Into India Strategy Committee’ to formulate strategyto help Sri Lankan businesses invest more into the Indian market.
- This will work on issues and initiative as per ongoing negotiations for Economic and Technological cooperation agreement (ETCA).
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- The Reserve Bank of India issued guidelines for interoperability of Prepaid Payment Instruments through Unified Payments Interface (UPI) such as e-wallets.
- The rules on interoperability of prepaid payment instruments (PPIs) do not force PPIs such as wallets to permit such transfers; instead, these guidelines are for “participating PPI issuers, who choose to adopt interoperability.
- The interoperability will be achieved in phased manner i.e. initially inter-operability of PPIs issued in form of wallets through UPI, and later between wallets and bank accounts through
UPI,and interoperability for PPIs issued in form of cards through card networks.
- UPI is a payments system launched by the National Payments Corporation of India in August 2016.
- It facilitates instant fund transfer between two bank accounts on the mobile platform, without having to provide any detail of the beneficiary’s bank account.
- The government and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) have stuck to their stance of asking payment companies to store payments data locally.
- The RBI that all system providers shall ensure that the entire data relating to payment systems operated by them are stored in a system only in India.
- This data should include the full end-to-end transaction details/information collected/ carried/processed as part of the message/payment instruction.
- The RBI laid down
frameworkfor Central Counterparties (CCPs) which provide guaranteed settlement services in the markets served by them and mitigate counterparty risk for the participants, thereby reducing systemic risk.
- An applicant seeking
authorisation/recognition as a CCP should have a minimum net-worthof Rs 300 crore at the time of submitting its application.
authorisedCCP would have to constitute a Risk Management Committee.
- The RBI has defined a CCP as ‘a system provider, who by way of novation interposes between system participants in the transactions admitted for settlement, thereby becoming the buyer to every seller and the seller to every buyer, for the purpose of effecting settlement of their transactions’.
- An applicant seeking
- HMD Global, which designs and sells phones under the Nokia brand, appointed actress Alia Bhattas the ‘face of Nokia phones’ in India.
- On 17th October 2018, International Day for the Eradication of Poverty was observed all over the world.
- Theme — “Coming together with those furthest behind to build an inclusive world of universal respect for human rights and dignity”.
- Paul Allen, Co-Founder of Microsoft in 1975 passed away.