Current Affairs for 18 And 19 May 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- Maharashtra government will amend the Socially and Educationally Backward Classes Act to provide reservation to Maratha students in post-graduate medical courses.
- India has been chosen as an ‘observer’ in the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO) with an access to the International Monitoring System (IMS) data.
- CTBTO is an international organization that will be established once the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty is enforced into law.
- The treaty, which was signed in 1996, outlaws nuclear test explosions.
- Website of the Lokpal was inaugurated by the Chairperson, Justice Shri Pinaki Chandra Ghose which has been developed by the National Informatics Centre.
- Lokpal has been established under the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013 and Ghose is the first chairperson of this independent organization.
- India successfully test-fired a Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) through INS Kochi and INS Chennai.
- MRSAM has been jointly developed by DRDO and Israel’s Aerospace Industries.
- The MRSAM is manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL).
- National Training Workshop of the Master Trainers had been organized by the Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation (MoSPI) in New Delhi.
- Objective: – To provide training to Master trainers (enumerators and supervisors) engaged in Seventh Economic Census (7th EC).
- For the first time, Saudi Arabia’s government has approved of “Privileged Iqama” system which offers a permanent residency to certain expatriates to boost domestic economy.
- It can be renewed annually to highly skilled expatriates and owners of capital funds.
- The scheme will allow them to own real estate in the kingdom and stay with their families without a Saudi sponsor.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- SIDBI has launched a pilot scheme to provide financial aid of up to ₹10 crore to new-age fintech non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) to strengthen digital lending.
- SIDBI has set the exposure cap for lending to a single new-age fintech NBFC at 30% of Net Owned Funds, subject to maximum cap of ₹10 crore.
- 0.75% to 0.25% of the sanctioned amount along with applicable taxes is charged.
- HDFC Ergo and IBM have together set up an AI-ML (Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning) lab.
- Reason: – To analyse the customer data and develop customised solutions to improve business efficiency and profitability.
- According to CRISIL’s report, bad loans or NPAs recovered through the Insolvency and Bankruptcy code is 43% at Rs 70,000 crores in FY19 as compared to 23% at Rs 35.500 crores (approx.) from other regimes.
- Banking sector’s gross NPA (aggregate) has declined to 10% as of FY19, from 11.5% in FY18, according to CRISIL.
- Aadhar Architect, Nandan Nilekani-led “Committee on Deepening of Digital Payments” has submitted its report on the current status of financial inclusion and digitization in the country to RBI.
- The 5-member was formed by RBI in Jan 2019, to examine the digital payments with a view to encourage digitisation of payments and enhance financial inclusion through digitisation.
- Bajaj Finserv has launched an insurance cover called the “Mumbai Local Train Cover” for passengers of local trains in Mumbai (covering the people of 18-70 years).
- The cover will be of Rs 1 Lakh with an annual premium of Rs 399.
- Nitin Chugh has been appointed the next MD and CEO of the Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Ltd. W.e.f., December 1, 2019.
- Sourav Ganguly and Sanjay Manjrekar have been included in the commentary panel of ICC World Cup 2019.
- Harsha Bhogle is another Indian commentator in the list of total 24 commentators members.
- Himalaya Drug Company has appointed Virat Kohli and Rishabh Pant as brand ambassadors for ‘Himalaya MEN Face Care Range’.
- May 16 is observed as the National Dengue Day. [Details is covered in May 10 document]
- Dengue is caused by the dengue virus – DENV, 1-4 serotype, which is transmitted by the bite of female Aedes aegypti (Linnaeus).
- World Hypertension Day is observed on May 17 by World Hypertension league (WHL).
- Theme for 2019: – Know Your Numbers
- According to the study presented at the 70th annual conference of the Cardiological Society of India (CSI), one in five Indian adults suffers from hypertension.
- Antano and Harini – Legacy Accelerators received the ‘Award of Honour’ from the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Reason: – For helping people to create a personal legacy in compressed time and to change the path of their lives.
- Sunny Pawar (aged 11) won the Best Child Actor award for Chippa at the 19th New York Indian Film Festival.
- Safdar Rahman has directed the coming-of-age film ‘Chippa’.
- He was shot to fame with his film ‘Lion’ directed by Australian Garth Davis in 2016.
- Ajey Nagar (Indian YouTuber, also known as CarryMinati) has been included in the Top 10 ‘Next Generation Leaders 2019’ by Time Magazine.