Current Affairs for 20 March, 21 March and 22 March 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network has released the World Happiness Report 2019 which ranked 156 countries on “How happy their citizens perceive themselves to be”.
- India ranked at 140th position witnessing a drop from 133rd place in 2018.
- Finland topped the index of for the second year in a row followed by Denmark, Norway, Iceland
- South Sudan was the last country at 156th position.
- Six Parameters – Income, Freedom, Trust, Healthy Life Expectancy, Social Support
- Indian Railways Integral Coach Factory (ICF) becomes the single largest rail coach manufacturer in the world.
- They manufactured 301 coaches in February, taking the total for this fiscal to 2,919.
- The ultra-modern ‘Train 18’ was indigenously made at Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai.
- India and Sri Lanka will conduct joint military exercise Mitra Shakti VI.
- Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) has launched smart garbage bins made of stainless steel.
- These smart garbage bins will be able to send a signal to the garbage collection vehicle about the ‘fill-up’ position of the bin, aiding better cleaning and lower human intervention.
- Paris, Singapore
andHong Kong have jointly been named as the World’s Most Expensive cities in 2019, according to WorldwideCost of Living Survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- Singapore has continued to hold on to the ranking for five years now.
- The EIU compared the price of more than 150 items in 133 cities around the world.
- Bangalore (5th), Chennai (7th) and New Delhi (8th) are among the top 10 cheapest cities in the world.
- The Indian Navy had launched a Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) operation to evacuate about 5,000 people stranded at Buzi near Port Beira in
- The African nation has been devastated by tropical cyclone Idai.
- Capital – Maputo
- Currency – Mozambican metical
- Kazakhstan has renamed its capital Astana as Nursultan in order to recognize its outgoing leader Nursultan Nazarbayev.
- Kassym-Jomart Tokayev has been appointed as the new President of Kazakhstan.
- The Government of Indonesia has hosted the first ever High-Level Dialogue on Indo-Pacific Cooperation (HLD-IPC) in Jakarta.
- The theme of the HLD was “Towards a Peaceful, Prosperous, and Inclusive Region”.
- Google has announced its fully-functional cloud gaming platform titled Stadia
. Itallows users to play games on their internet browser or any internet-connected device without using games consoles.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Metropolitan Clearing Corporation of India Ltd (
MCCIL), an arm of Metropolitan Stock Exchange of India, has become the first SEBI recognisedclearing corporation in the country to receive recognition as a Third-Country Central Counterparty (TC-CCP) by Bank of England.
- It enables MCCIL to offer clearing services to UK-based entities once Britain’s exit from the European Union (BREXIT) comes into effect.
- Third-Country Central Counterparty or TC-CCP is the counterparty outside of European Union.
- State Bank of India has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bank of China (BoC),
third-largestbank in the world by capital size and one of the major players in the Chinese banking sector, to enhance business synergies between both the banks.
- SBI has a branch in Shanghai and BOC is opening its branch in Mumbai.
- Chairman of BOC – Chen Siqing
- Chairman of SBI – Rajnish Kumar
- Transgender activist Gauri Sawant has been appointed as first transgender Election Ambassador by The Election Commission of India.
- World Sparrow Day is observed on March 20 every year to raise awareness about the house sparrow and threat to their population.
- The Theme for this year’s World Sparrow Day is “I love sparrows”.
- The International Day of Happiness is observed on March 20 as a way to
recognisethe importance of happiness in the lives of people around the world. Themefor 2019 – ‘Happier Together’
- The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed annually on 21 March to raise awareness about the negative consequences of racial discrimination.
Themefor 2019 – “Mitigating and countering rising nationalist populism and extreme supremacist ideologies”.
- The World Down Syndrome Day is observed each year on March 21.
- The World Poetry Day is observed each year on March 21 to promote the reading, writing, publishing
andteaching of poetry throughout the world.
- The International Day of Forests 2019 was observed on March 21,
2019all over the world.
- Theme – “Forests and Education – Learn to Love Forests”
- March 22 is observed as World Water Day which focuses on the importance of freshwater and advocating for the sustainable management of freshwater resources.
- Theme – Leave no one behind.
- American Karen Uhlenbeck won the Abel Prize 2019 in mathematics for her work on partial differential equations.
- She is the first woman to win the prize, which comes with a cheque for Six million kroner (620,000 euros, $703,000).
- Marcelo Gleiser,
Brazilianphysicist and astronomer, has been awarded withthe 2019 Templeton Prize worth $1.4m.
- It is an annual award given to someone who “has made an exceptional contribution to affirming life’s spiritual dimension, whether through insight, discovery, or practical works”.
- The 15th Special Olympics World Summer Games 2019 for athletes with Intellectual disabilities was held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- Indian team comprising 284 athletes clinched 85 gold, 154 silver and 129 bronze medals (368 Medals).