Current Affairs for May 20, 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Lt. Col J P Kumar led 7-memeber team of National Security Guards (NSG) have climbed the Mt. Everest (8,848 metre tall) in their first attempt, making it a history.
- NSG is also called as ‘Black Cats’ was formed in 1984 to counter-terror and hijack contingency.
- Women will handle the entire work of counting votes in Harda district, Madhya Pradesh, making the first of its kind initiative for the empowerment of women.
- Harda district is a part of Betul parliamentary seat in MP.
- Apart from this, only women will be stationed for the security of the counting centre.
- Afghanistan’s High Peace Council Secretary – Umer Daudzai visited India where he briefed on the historic ‘Loya Jirga’ or peace meeting in Kabul.
- 3,200 delegates participated in the ‘Loya Jirga’ or grand assembly to seek a common approach to peace talks with the Taliban.
- ISRO has announced SEVEN MEGA MISSIONS for the upcoming next 10 years.
- Defined Missions:- XPoSat and Aditya-L1.
- Undefined Missions: – Mangalyaan-2, Venus mission, Lunar Polar Exploration/ Chandrayaan-3 and Exoworlds.
To study cosmic radiation
India’s 1st Mission to the Sun
Mission to the Mars
No dates are announced yet
Mission to Venus
Lunar Polar Exploration
Mission to Moon
Exploration outside the solar system
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority’s (NPPA) has cut the prices of nine anti-cancer drugs up to 87% through trade margin rationalisation.
- Trade Margin Rationalisation is the difference between the price at which the manufacturers/importers sell to retailers (price to trade) and the price to patients (maximum retail price).
- Odisha government has prepared a plan called “Five Year Action Plan on Revival of Coastal Shelter Belt and Afforestation Programme” to plant trees in the cyclone Fani affected areas.
- Budget – Rs 200 Crore for plantation in 8000 hectare area
- 1.30 crore saplings will be distributed in 2019-20 while 5 lakh saplings will be planted under the urban tree plantation programme in the next five year.
- Government also seeks to re-plant 30, 000 partially uprooted trees.
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) new study called “Social, biological and programmatic factors link adolescent pregnancy to early childhood undernutrition: a path analysis of India’s 2016 National Family and Health Survey (NHFS)”, published in the journal Lancet Child and Adolescent Health asserts that Children born to teenage mothers are more likely to be undernourished/ stunted than children of adult mothers.
- According to the study, India has the highest number of stunted children and is one of the ten countries with the largest burden of teenage pregnancy.
- As per the 2016 NHFS-4, 27% of girls are married before 18 years and further, 31% of married Indian women gave birth by the age of 18 years.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- HDFC Capital Advisors has launched ‘HDFC Affordable Real Estate and Technology Program (HeART)’ initiative.
- Purpose: – It will mentor, partner and invest in real estate technology companies to drive efficiency in the affordable housing.
- BSNL and Google have partnered to expand BSNL’s Wi-Fi footprint in the country.
- BSNL also aims to improve rural wi-fi footprint vis-à-vis contributing in the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- There are 38,000 BSNL WiFi hotspot locations operational in India.
- Tech Mahindra and Rakuten Aquafadas (French digital content publishing firm) signed an MoU to build enhanced customer experience offerings.
- Scope: – Collaboration focuses on areas like Digital transformation, Enterprise of the future and Enhanced customer experience.
- World Bee Day is observed on May 20 by United Nations to acknowledge the role of bees and other pollinators for the ecosystem.
- Anton Janša, who pioneered the modern beekeeping techniques was also born on May 20.
- Theme for 2019 :- ‘Save the Bees’
- US politician Nancy Pelosi will receive the JFK Profile in Courage Award 2019.
- JFK Profile in Courage Award 2019 is given in recognition of the political courage shown by the recipient. (JFK stands for John F. Kennedy)
- Badminton World Federation has launched the new sport AirBadminton and a new format Triples in the game.
- Under Triples, each team will be made of 3 members out of which 1 should be a woman.
- Agnes Tirop became the first woman to win the TCS World 10K title 2019.
- World 10K Bengaluru (known as the TCS World 10K Bengaluru for sponsorship reasons by Tata Consultancy Services) is an annual 10 kilometres road running competition which takes place in Bangalore, India.
- Rafael Nadal has won the Men’s Singles in Italian Open (Badminton) tournament 2019 held in Rome.
- Karolina Pliskova won the women’s singles at Italian Opens.
- FIFA World Cup 2022 will take place in Qatar.
- Juventus star striker Cristiano Ronaldo won the Italian ‘Serie A Player of the Year’ award at the Italian Open.
- After this win, Ronaldo has now won the domestic player of the year award in England, Spain, and Italy.
- NASA discovered evidence for a unique mixture of methanol, water ice, and organic molecules on Ultima Thule’s surface (the farthest world ever explored by mankind).
- Kuiper Belt object 2014 MU69 has been nicknamed Ultima Thule.