Current Affairs for 21 April and 22 April 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO-MORNING TALES
- 20 states and Union Territories joined the pan-India (single) helpline number 112, which integrates Police (100), Fire (101), Women (1090) helplines to provide immediate assistance to people.
- The project of integration is being funded under the Central Government’s Nirbhaya Fund.
- Emergency Response Support System administers the ‘112’ helpline number and ‘112’ mobile application.
- Election Commission of India launches a Voters’ Turnout app, which will enable the people to see the real-time voters’ turnout and the data at the assemble level and at the parliamentary constituencies.
- International Labor Organization (ILO), in its “The Safety and the Health at the Heart of the Future of Work- Building on 100 years of Experience” report claimed Bhopal Gas Tragedy to be among “World’s Major Industrial Accidents”.
- More than 15,000 people were killed due to the result of at least 30 tons of highly toxic Methyl Isocyanate (MIC) gas leak in Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal in 1984.
- India ranked 17th among 100 countries in the “Startup Ecosystem Ranking 2019” released by Startupblink.
- Delhi, Bengaluru and Mumbai are the most vibrant startup ecosystems.
- In 2018, India had 37th rank out of 100 countries.
- Parameters – Amount of funds raised by startups, Number of investors, New startups opening.
- US, UK and Canada remain at the top three spots respectively.
- Inter-Ministerial Steering Committee of “National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage”, headed by NITI Aayog’s CEO Amitabh Kant has approved a 50% localization mandate for all electric vehicle manufacturers to avail the benefits under FAME-II
- 50% localization under FAME-II will boost the Make- in- India initiative in automobile sector.
- FAME- Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles schemes was adopted on 1st April 2015, to boost clean energy transport mobility in the country.
- FAME-II, is an extension of FAME-I, effectuated on 1st April 2019.
- Mount Agung, an active volcano, situated at the Bali of Indonesia erupted again.
|Volcanoes in India|
|Active Volcano||Mud- Volcano||Extinct Volcano|
|Barren Islands & Narcondam in Andaman and Nicobar Island||Baratang in Andaman and Nicobar Island||
Dhinodhar Hills, Gujarat
Dhosi Hill, Haryana
Tosham Hill, Haryana
- In the Index of Cancer Preparedness (ICP) released by Economic Intelligence Unit (EIU), India had ranked 19th globally.
- The Index of Cancer Preparedness (ICP) looks at a wide range of elements that are relevant to cancer control.
- It studied 28 countries and presented data on 45 indicators.
- Bottom 3 nations: Saudi Arabia, Romania and Egypt.
- Asian Tea Alliance (ATA), a union of five tea-growing and consuming countries has been launched in China’s Ghizhou, to promote tea trade globally.
- ATA has five members – Indian Tea Association, China Tea Marketing Association, Indonesian Tea Marketing Association, Sri Lanka Tea Board and Japan Tea Association.
- NASA’s scientists have detected the first molecule to ever form from stray atoms in the universe- Helium Hydride, a combination of helium and hydrogen.
- The researchers used NASA’s SOFIA, the world’s largest airborne observatory, to detect helium hydride in NGC 7027, a planetary nebula about 3,000 light-years away from Earth.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has invited stakeholders’ comments on a draft committee report which was formed to examine –
- Attribution of Profits in case of a Permanent Establishment (PE) under Article 7 of Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement.
- Recommend changes in Rule 10 of the Income-tax Rules, 1962.
- According to the report, the MNCs operating from a fixed place in India will be deemed to have a permanent establishment at such place in India.
- MNCs that are incurring global losses or a global profit margin of less than 2 percent and have operations in India will be deemed to have made a profit of 2 percent of Indian revenue or turnover and will be taxed accordingly.
- Amendments for Rule 10 – In case of an assessee who is not a resident of India, has a business connection in India and derives sales revenue from India… the income from such business carried out in India and deemed to accrue in India shall be determined by apportioning the profits derived from India by a three equally weighted factors of sales, employees (manpower & wages) and assets.
- Reliance Retail Industries became the first Indian retail company to cross the annual revenue milestone of Rs 1 Lakh Crore.
- The revenue for 2018-19 is 1,30,556.
- Bharti AXA General Insurance and Airtel Payments Bank have joined hands for a two-wheeler insurance product offering which is available on MyAirtel App.
- Kaushik Shaparia has been appointed as the CEO of Deutsche Bank for India operations.
- Ravi Shastri – “Champion of Champions” was appointed as Exclusive Corporate Ambassador to the Indian Business Community of Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone (RAKEZ) in Dubai.
- April 21 is observed as the “National Civil Services Day”.
- The day is observed as a commemoration of April 21, 1947 on which Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel inaugurated the All India Services by addressing the first batch of Probationary Officers and referred bureaucrats as the “steel frame of India”.
- This year the day wasn’t observed due to General Elections.
- 2nd World Creativity and Innovation Day is observed on April 21.
- Earth Day is celebrated on April 22.
- Theme of 2019: – “Protect our Species”.
- Special Commissioner of Police, Sunil Kumar Gautam has been awarded with “Pandit Govind Ballabh Pant Award” for his book “Samvidhan Kavya”.
- The award was given by Bureau of Police Research and Development (operating under Ministry of Home Affairs).
- Kerala Agricultural University’s (KAU) Intellectual Property’s Rights Cell (IPR) has been selected for the National Intellectual Property Awards 2019.
- Reason – For facilitating registration and promotion of Geographical Indication across the nation.
- World Intellectual Property Day is observed on April 26.
- Beijing International Film Festival 2019 award for best cinematography has been conferred upon Malayalam Film, Bhayanakam.
- The film’s director is Jayaraj and cinematographer is Nikhil S. Praveen.
- The film also won best Cinematography in National Film Awards 2018.
- Indian Services football team won the Santosh Trophy by beating Punjab.
- The Santosh Trophy is a football knock-out competition conducted under the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
- India’s first Nobel Prize winner in Economics, Amartya Sen, has been honored with the Chair in Inequality Studies by the London School of Economics.