Current Affairs for 23 April and 24 April 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO-MORNING TALES
- India and US conducted their anti-submarine warfare exercise in the Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.
- It is the first bilateral anti-submarine warfare exercise after signing of
- COMCASA- Communication, Compatibility and Security Agreement was signed on 6 September 2018.
- COMCASA facilitates India-US to boost interoperability in matters of Defence and will enable India to access US’s high-tech defence equipments.
- Ministry of AYUSH and Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) have signed an MoU for cooperation and integration of traditional medicine knowledge with modern medicines.
- INS Imphal– the third guided missile destroyer has been launched by Indian Navy at Mazgaon Docks.
- The missile launch is a part of 15B project of Indian Navy.
- 15B project:- 15Bravo aims at adding state-of-the-art warships to naval fleet.
- INS Vishakhapatnam (first) and INS Mormugao (second) were the earlier missiles launched under 15B project.
- The High-level Anti-Hijack Panel has been revamped to form “Committee of Secretaries on Aircraft Hijack” (COSAH) to include the top officials of PM office especially National Security Advisor – Ajit Doval.
- The panel will continue to be headed by Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha.
- Central Board for Secondary Education (CBSE) has allowed use of magnifying glasses and portable video magnifiers to help visually impaired students in the class 10th board exam from 2020.
- Ministry of Home Affairs have distributed 3,120 Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Kits (SAECK) or ‘Rape Investigation Kits’ among states and UTs to carry out quick probe of sexual assault.
- Drugs Technical Advisory Board (DTAB) under the Union Health and Family Welfare has mandated the regional/Hindi languages along with English medicinal labels in tendering process to curb supply of substandard and expired drugs.
- Himachal Pradesh meteorological department issued YELLOW warning for thunderstorm in the state.
Indian Meteorological Department Warnings
All is Well
- India has been ranked 80th in the Global Talent Competition Index (GTCI) 2019 released by INSEAD Business School.
- It covered 125 countries and 114 cities.
- Switzerland topped the index and Yemen is at the last position.
- Theme of the Index: – Entrepreneurial Talent and Global Competitiveness.
- Iran and Pakistan have agreed to set up a Joint Border Reaction Force to counter militant attacks on their borders.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- GAIL India Ltd. Is set to acquire IL&FS’s Wind Energy (Special Purpose Vehicles) of 874 MW at 4,800 crores in a 100% enterprise valuation.
- This offer will completely pay back IL&FS’s subsidiary’s loan of Rs. 3700 crores on Wind Energy Portfolio.
- According to Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BoFA-ML), Bimal Jalan’s Committee is likely to identify RBI’s excess reserve of up to $3 trillion, or 1.5% of Gross Domestic Product.
- Bimal Jalan’s Committee was formed by RBI in 2018 for examining the Economic Capital Framework to determine the appropriate levels of reserves the central bank should hold.
- Waivers from US sanction on Iran oil for India is to get expired on May 2nd.
- India is the second largest importer of Iranian oil in Asia after China and third largest importer of oil in the world.
- India imported 23.5 million tonnes in 2018-19 from Iran.
- Total Crude Oil imported in 2017-18 – 220.4 million tonnes.
- Syndicate Bank and BEML (Bharat Earth Movers Limited) have signed an MoU to finance the earth moving and construction equipment manufactured by the latter.
- The customers will be provided loan in the range of 20 Lakh- 300 Lakhs and preferential pricing by Syndicate bank.
- The authorised capital of Allahabad Bank has been raised to 8,000 crores from Rs. 3,000 crores by the government of India in consultation with RBI.
- This will help the bank to raise fund up to a maximum ceiling of Rs 8,000 crore.
Authorised capital is the maximum amount of the capital for which shares can be issued by the Company to shareholders.
- Total deposits in bank accounts of Jan Dhan Yojana will soon cross Rs. 1 Lakh Crores. The current balance, as of April 3, stands at 97,665.66 crores.
- Rupay Debit cards have been issued to around 89 crore account holders under PMJDY.
JAN DHAN YOJANA
Ministry of Finance
To provide universal access to banking facilities to all households.
Raised from Rs 2 Lakh from Rs. 1 Lakh for accounts opening after August 2018.
- Tata Consultancy Services and Indian posts partnered to establish a multi-service digital hub for faster delivery of mails and packages under its Core Systems Integration (CSI) programme.
- Manish Maheshwari has been appointed as the Managing Director of Twitter in India.
- CEO of Twitter- Jack Dorsey
- Vikas Khanna has been appointed as the Brand Ambassador of Indo-American Arts Council (IAAC).
- For the first time International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace was observed on April 24, 2019.
- It will be observed in order to promote and support three fundamental pillars of United Nations- Sustainable Development, Peace and Security and Human Rights.
- The year 2019 will be observed as the “International Year for Indigenous Languages” by United Nations.
- UNESCO is the leading agency.
- Fabio Fognini became the first Italian to win ATP Masters 1000 title in Monte Carlo.
- These tournaments are the third highest tier of annual men’s tennis tournament after the four Grand Slam tournaments and the ATP Finals.
- Sixth best Indian tennis player, Prajnesh Gunneswaran has been ranked at 75th position by Association of Tennis Professionals.
- Athlete Gomathi Marimuthu won India first gold medal in 800m race and Tejinderpal Singh Toor won gold in Shot put in Asian Athletics Championship 2019 in Doha, Qatar.