Current Affairs for July 23, 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- Recently, President Ram Nath Kovind has given assent to the “Code of Criminal Procedure (Uttar Pradesh Amendment) Bill, 2018” which allows applying for an anticipatory bail in Uttar Pradesh.
- Provisions of anticipatory bail were revoked during the Emergency in 1976 in Uttar Pradesh.
- Except, UP and Uttarakhand, all states in India have this provision in practise.
- Maharashtra’s State Innovation Society (MSInS), will organise a ‘Business Plan Competition’ (BPC) to promote industrial and economic growth and boost startups.
- Every district will hold this competition every year.
- Budget 2019: – In the PM Awas Yojana (Gramin) second phase, government will provide 1.95 crore houses (with amenities such as LPG, electricity and toilets) to eligible beneficiaries, during 2019-20 to 2021-22.
- The Inter-Ministerial Committee (set up in 2017) under the Chairmanship of Subhash Chandra Garg, to look into the feasibility of cryptocurrencies and blockchain has presented the draft “Banning of Cryptocurrency & Regulation of Official Digital Currency Bill, 2019” to Ministry of Finance.
- The bill imposes a fine and imprisonment of up to 10 years for offences related to cryptocurrency and blockchain use.
- World Bank has declined to provide $300 million for the “Amaravati Sustainable Infrastructure and Institutional Development Project”. Amravati is the proposed capital city of Andhra Pradesh.
- However, World Bank will support AP with (an) over $1 billion programme for health, agriculture, energy and disaster management sectors.
- According to the Sample Registration Survey (SRS), the sex ratio has declined to 896 per 1,000 males for in three years in 2015-17 from 898 in 2014-2016.
Population Census of 2011, the ratio was 940 females per 1000 males.
The government’s survey report has analysed data of 2017.
Crude Birth Rate (CBR- live births per 1,000 births) was 20.2 during 2017 at the national level
The maximum CBR has been reported in Bihar (26.4) while lowest was in Kerala at (14.2).
According to Sample Registration System (SRS) survey 2017, Chhattisgarh reported the highest sex ratio at birth (961) while Haryana recorded the lowest (833).
Crude Death Rate (CDR) was 6.3 in 2017 at the national level. Chhattisgarh recorded maximum rate at 7.5 while Delhi had the lowest 3.7.
Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) was 33 in 2017 (Highest in IMR in Madhya Pradesh and lowest is Kerala).
IMR of rural India is 37 in 2017 and in urban area, it was 23 in 2017.
SRS 2017 shows that Total Fertility Rate (TFR) has fallen to 2.2 per women which is close to replacement level of 2.1.
- In order to revive the population of the “critically endangered” species of crocodile- ‘gharials’ in the Satkosia gorge of Mahanadi (in Odisha), Odisha is going to release around five gharials into the gorge.
- These gharials, including three females and two males, were bred at the Nandankanan Zoological Park.
- In future, 30 gharials will be released into the gorge.
- Ministry of Finance has clarified that GST is levied on the entire maintenance charge levied by taxable residential welfare associations if the charge is above ₹7,500 a month for a member of the body.
- Condition: – If charges exceed Rs. 7,500 a month per member, the entire amount will be taxed at 18%, not just the amount in excess of ₹7,500.
- Annual turnover needs to be more than ₹20 lakh.
- According to Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), there are 48 Archaeological Site Museums out of which two museums – Velha Goa; and Nagarjunakonda, have been digitised during the phase 1 of JATAN: Virtual Museum software.
- Ministry of Culture had signed agreement with Human Centres Design and Computing Group, C-DAC, Pune, to set up a National Portal and Digital Repository for Indian Museums.
- JATAN has been developed by C-DAC to digitize all record of archaeological museums.
- Singapore-based Global Indian International School (GIIS) will launch India’s first SMART Campus at Hadapsar and Balewadi campuses in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Singapore will invest Rs 420 crore in education in India over the coming years.
- For the first time in India, Sports Analytics will be conducted at the school level to monitor and improve performances of students through data and statistical information.
- 13th edition of the annual Global Healthcare Summit (GHS) was organized in Hyderabad.
- Organizer: – American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) and Global Association of physicians of Indian Origin (GAPIO).
12. IIT-Madras, Manipal Academy of Higher Education and Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru were the top three institutes in ‘World Reputation Rankings 2019’ released by Times Higher Education.
13.Amazon launched its first product in the edu-tech sector in India the ‘JEE Ready’ app.
- It is an Indian Institute of Technology – Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) preparation app.
14. Haryana will set up the Sports University in Sonipat.
- It will be the 3rd sports university established by a state government in India after Swarnim Gujarat Sports University (Gandhinagar) and Tamil Nadu Physical Education and Sports University (Chennai).
- U. K.-flagged chemical tanker called the ‘Stena Impero’ has been seized by Iran in the Strait of Hormuz.
- 18 out of the 23 crew member were Indians at the ship.
- Shinzo Abe (of Liberal Democratic Party) has won the Japan’s national elections with a majority of seats in the upper house of Parliament.
- Ministerial meeting of 120-member group of Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) was held in Caracas, Venezuela.
- Focus was on to fighting the hegemony of US and creating Venezuela led workgroup to study the ways of mitigating sanctions against NAM countries.
- NAM is a group of countries who do not want to be officially aligned with or against any major power bloc (group of countries).
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) revised the Red List.
- Over 28,000 species are facing the risk of extinction in the world.
- More than 7000 species are added to the red list.
5. Boris Johnson has been chosen as the new Prime Minister of United Kingdom and the leader of Tory party.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- IL&FS will sell the wind energy subsidiaries under IL&FS Wind Energy Ltd. (IWEL), to ORIX Corporation of Japan.
- The amount realised from the sale would be preserved in an Escrow Account.
- ORIX, currently, holds 49% stake in all 7 wind power plants of IL&FS group.
- The sale proposal will be presented before National Company Law Tribunal (NCLAT) for approval.
- United Technologies Corporation (UTC) has selected L&T Technology Services as a strategic partner for its subsidiary Collins Aerospace (which provides solutions to global defence and aviation).
- According to RBI, JP Morgan has shut its NBFC- JP Morgan Advisors India and surrendered its license.
- It is among the 45 companies which have surrendered licence in 2018-19.
- India will be the first recipient of local currency funding by the Asian Infrastructure and Investment Bank (AIIB).
- Purpose: – To provide more options to borrowers.
- India is the 2nd-largest shareholder of AIIB with a 7.5% stake after China (20.06%).
- Standard Chartered (HQ- U.K.) will be the first foreign bank to launch operations at International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) at GIFT city, Gujarat.
- It will open IFSC Banking Unit in Gujarat International Finance Tec-city (GIFT city).
- Harsh Bhutani has been appointed as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of Coca-Cola India & South-west Asia w.e.f., August 2019.
- Coca-Cola India appointed Sarvita Sethi as the Vice-President for Merger and Acquisitions and new ventures for India and Southwest Asia region.
- Varun Dhawan has been appointed as the brand face of Reebok.
- Bengali actor Prosenjit Chatterjee has been appointed as the Brand Ambassador for RummyCircle.
- Keshav Dutt (hockey player) and Prasun Banerjee (football) will get the Mohun Bagan Ratna Award 2019.
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Ashok Chatterjee (footballer).
- Mohun Bagan Athletic Club (set up in 1889) is a professional association football club based in West Bengal.
- Hilary Swank will be awarded with the Leopard Club Award at Locarno International Film Festival 2019, held at Locarno, Switzerland.
- 21st Mines Environment & Mineral Conservation (MEMC) week was held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- Indian Metals & Ferro Alloys’ (IMFA) 2 mines received the top honours.
- Organiser:- Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM).
- Sukinda Mines Chromite, Mahagiri Mines Chromite won awards.
- The Best ‘Paryavaran Bandhu’ Award was given to Sudhanshu Patni, Deputy Head, Mining Business Unit.
- 6th edition of CMO Asia National Awards for Marketing Excellence awards Zappfresh with ‘Best Farm to Fork Fresh Meat Brand’ held in Mumbai.
- Zappfresh is India’s first fully-integrated Fresh Meat brand.
- Dusan Lajovic (from Serbia) has won his first career ATP title at Croatia Open 2019 held at Umag, Croatia.
- John Isner won his fourth title at the ATP grass court tour at Newport, Rhode Island.
- India tops the medal tally with 10 Gold medals, 9 silver and 5 bronze (totalling up to 24) at the ISSF Junior World Cup (Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun) 2019 held in Suhl, Germany.
- Elavenil Valarivan, Aishwarya Pratap Singh Tomar, Sarabjot Singh, Anish ANISH, Gaurav Rana were among the Gold winners.
- Shlok Ramchandran won the men’s and mixed doubles titles along with partners MR Arjun and Rutaparna Panda respectively at the (Badminton) JE Wilson International Series 2019 at Accra, Ghana.
- Pair of Maneesha and Rutaparna won the Women’s doubles title.
- Ravinder Kumar Malik (Indian bodybuilder) has been crowned with “Mr. South Asia title” at the 12th South Asian Bodybuilding and Physique Sports Championship in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Afghanistan won the overall championship with 15 medals (including 6 Gold medals) followed by Nepal (16 medals- 3 gold) and India (10- 4 Gold).
- PT Usha has been nominated for International Association of Athletics Federation’s (IAAF) ‘Veteran Pin’ honour in recognition for her outstanding service to the sport.
- The award will be given at 52nd IAAF Congress at the Qatar National Convention Centre in Doha.
- USA has topped the FIFA Women’s Ranking 2019 after FIFA World Cup (as of July 2019).
- Indian Women’s Team ranks at 57th
- FIFA men’s team rankings: – India ranks at 103, while Belgium is at 1st
- Yukiya Amano, Director General of the UN- International Atomic Energy Agency, passed away at 72.
- Peter McNamara (an Australian tennis player and coach) passed away recently.
- ‘Who Stole My Job’ book has been written by Sunil Mishra.