Current Affairs for 25 April and 26 April 2019
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- NITI Aayog has agreed to the proposal of Dental Council of India for a “bridge course” that will allow the Dental students to practise as general physicians after a 3 years course post Bachelor of Dental Science (BDS).
- The government of Arunachal Pradesh has declared the Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival (PPHF) as a “state festival”.
- It is the state’s only conservation festival.
- The name is after the Pakke Tiger Reserve in Arunachal Pradesh.
- SAMBHAV – Men Against Violence and Abuse (MAVA), which works to prevent gender-based violence will travel to nine cities and four districts this year with its two-day travelling film festival called ‘Sambhav’.
- Theme – ‘Gender, Masculinity and Relationships’
- Operation Kabaddi was supposed to be the largest planned operation by the Indian Army to end cross LoC infiltration by capturing at least 25 selected Pakistani posts along the Line of Control (LoC) in September 2001.
- It is again in news because former army commanders have revealed the details of this operation in the book, ‘Line on Fire: Ceasefire Violations and India-Pakistan Escalation Dynamics’.
- A 10.7-km railway line, including a 9.02-km tunnel, has been proposed to connect the upcoming Vizhinjam International Multipurpose Deepwater Seaport to the railway network in Kerala.
- After completion, it will be the second longest tunnel in the country.
- The 11.26-km Pir Panjal rail tunnel, connecting Banihal and Hillar Shahabad in Jammu and Kashmir is the longest.
- Ministry of Textiles has launched the E-Cocoon app for quality certification in silkworm seed sector.
- India is the second largest producer of silk after China and the largest consumer of silk.
- India’s silk production capacity is expected to reach about 38,500 tonnes by 2020 from the current level of 32,000 tonnes.
- Indonesia released commemorative postal stamps with a scene of Ramayana on it to commemorate 70 years of diplomacy with India.
- Indonesian sculptor Padmashri Bapak NyomanNuart designed the stamp.
- The stamp depicts Jatayu’s fight with Ravana to save Sita.
- UAE’s national Ethiad Airways operated the first plastic free flight – EY484, of the Gulf region on Earth Day (April 22) to raise awareness about harms of plastic.
- Akademik Lomonosov- World’s first floating Nuclear Power Plant has been successfully tested by Rosatom,
- Japan successfully created world’s 1st artificial crater on Ryugu asteroid as part of its mission Hayabusa-2.
- Hayabusa-2 is an asteroid sample return mission operated by Japan.
- Siamese fighting fish has been named as the Thailand’s national aquatic animal.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Kotak Mahindra Bank launched an industry-first debit card-based authentication solution on NPCI’s e-Mandate API platform.
- This new feature will enable Kotak customers to create electronic mandates through both the Debit Card and Net Banking channels (instead of using Aadhaar + OTP).
- According to Fitch Ratings, Reserve Bank of India has become the first central bank in Asia-Pacific region (APAC) to carry out an explicit interest rate easing cycle boosted by benign inflation and global financial conditions.
- One of India’s oldest cryptocurrency trader, BuyUcoin has launched the first Indian Wholesale Cryptocurrency platform, known as OTC (Over-The-Counter) Desk.
- OTC Desk will enable traders to transact cryptocurrency in wholesale with lower price fluctuations.
- It is a free-trading model, that is zero charge for any transaction.
- SEBI has reduced the minimum subscription limit and defined trading lots for REIT/InvlTs to 50,000 and 1,00,000 from an earlier limit of 2,00,000 and 10,00,000 respectively.
- REIT- For Real Estate Investment Trusts the new limit is 50,000 from 1,00,000.
- InvlTs – For Infrastructure Investment Trusts the new limit is 1,00,000 from 10,00,000.
- SEBI InvIT (Infrastructure Investment Trusts) Regulations 2014 and SEBI REIT (Real Estate Investment Trusts) Regulations 2014 were amended.
- According to Ministry of Commerce and Industry, India’s exports in Pharmaceutical products have risen 11% to USD 19.2 billion in 2018-19 due to increased demand in Europe and North America.
- In 2017-18, the exports stood at USD 17.3 billion.
- RBI has sold its 100% stake in NABARD (National Agriculture and Rural Development Bank) and NHB (National Housing Bank) for Rs 20 cr. and Rs 1450 cr. to Government of India on the recommendation of Narasimham Committee- II.
- Narasimham Committee – II (1998) – Review implementation of banking sector reforms.
- RBI’s five member panel called Committee on Deepening of Digital Payments (formed in January 2019) is likely to submit its report in May.
- The committee is headed by UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) chairman Nandan Nilekani.
- The committee may recommend that all government payments should be done digitally.
- Reserve Bank of India issued mandates to banks and financial institutions to show their account relating to IL&FS and its subsidiaries.
- The decision is in contrast to NCLAT decree not to disclose any accounts related to IL&FS as NPAs.
- MobiKwik and Aegon Life Insurance launched the Rs 20 smart digital insurance product called the ‘Aegon Life Group Term Plus Plan’ to promote financial inclusion.
- The death and accident insurance plan can be availed by paying the 20, 30 and 40 premium for variants of Rs 1 lakh, Rs 1.5 lakh and Rs 2 lakhs.
- State Bank of India has launched the India’s first ever “Green Car Loan” (for electric vehicles) at 20 basis points lesser than the interest rate on existing car loans.
- The repayment tenure (8 years) is the longest time period given for an automobile loan.
- Department of Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry has proposed the “Statup India Vision 2024”.
- Rajendra Kumar Nayak has been appointed as the 52nd Controller General of Defence Accounts.
- Uber’s Asia Pacific head Amit Jain is replaced by Pierre-Dimitri Gore-Coty.
- Ravneet Gill has been appointed as the new MD and CEO of YES bank.
- Punit Goenka has been appointed as the new Chairman of Broadcast Audience Research Council of India (BARC).
- World Malaria Day is observed on April 25.
- Theme 2019 – ‘Zero Malaria starts with me’
- Transmission – Anopheles Mosquito
- Malawi, an African country, will test world’s most advanced anti-malaria vaccine trade named as Mosquirix, on a large scale.
- The vaccine is not a complete anti-dote to malaria but is the strongest prevention till now.
- ‘MERA (Malaria Elimination Research Alliance) India’ campaign was launched by Indian Council of Medical Research with an aim of eliminating Malaria from India by 2030.
- World Intellectual Property Day is observed on April 26.
- Theme for 2019: – “Reach for Gold: IP and Sports”
- World Immunization Week was observed from 24-30th April 2019 by World Health Organization.
- Theme for 2019: – “Protected Together, Vaccines Work!”
- National Panchayati Raj Day is observed on April 24 by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
- Pakistani Journalist Cyril Almeida has been awarded with World Press Freedom Heroes Award 2019 by International Press Institute for his “critical” and “tenacious coverage” of the civil-military relations in Pakistan.
- Master Deenanath Mangeshkar awards 2019 announced.
- The awards felicitate legends in music, art, drama and social work.
Salim Khan (Scriptwriter)
Lifetime Achievement Award
Deenanath Mangeshkar Special Award
- Benny Antony received the National Intellectual Property Award 2019.
- He is the inventor of BCM-95, the world’s leading patented turmeric extract formulation.
- World Intellectual Property Organization’s ‘Medal for Inventory’ has also been conferred upon him.
- The second edition of Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2019 has been conferred upon Rana Dasgupta for his novel “Solo”.
- Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize for social achievement has been given to Yohei Sasakawa for his contribution in eliminating leprosy and promoting world peace.
- 23rd Asian Athletics Championship concluded at Khalifa Stadium in Doha, Qatar.
- Total Medals Country Wise:-
Race (800 meters)
Race (1500 meters)
Tejinder Pal Singh Toor
- Pankaj Advani became the ACBS Asian 10-red snooker tour third leg champion, at The Karnataka State Billiards Association & Billiards and Snooker Federation of India (KSBA) in Karnataka.
- English translation of “Khooni Vaishakhi” written by Nanak Suri has been translated into English for the first time by his grandson Navdeep Singh Suri.