Current Affairs for May 25 And May 26, 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- 5th Smart Cities India 2019 expo, including Transport India, Solar India, Buildings India and Water India expos, was inaugurated at the Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- The event focuses upon Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs’ initiative ‘Smart Cities Mission’.
- Smart Cities Mission is an initiative to drive economic growth and improve the quality of life in around 100 cities within a duration of five years (FY2015-16 to FY2019-20).
2. Priyanka Mohite became the first Indian woman to climb world 5th highest peak Mt. Makalu (8,481 metres).
- The first climb on Makalu was made by an American team led by Riley Keegan in 1954.
- Mt Makalu is located in the Mahalangur Himalayas 19 km southeast of Mount Everest, on the border between Nepal and China.
- Ministry of Home Affairs has banned the Bangladesh’s terror organization– Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) under First Schedule to the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.
- Centre for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC) has certified Indian Air Force’s (IAF) An-32 transport aircraft fleet to operate on blended aviation fuel containing up to 10% of indigenous bio-jet fuel.
- Indigenous bio-jet fuel was first produced by the Indian Institute of Petroleum, Dehradun in 2013.
- Anil Baijal (Governor of Delhi) inaugurated the Sahara Naval Hostel for the ‘Veer Naris’ at Vasant Kunj, New Delhi.
- The project steered by the Indian Navy has been built in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) partnership with National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC).
- Purpose: – To rehabilitate Naval ‘Veer Naris’ and also help them rebuild their lives.
- 2nd U20 meet 2019 was held in Tokyo under the themes of Climate Action, Circular Economy, Social Inclusion and Integration, Sustainable Economic Growth, Gender Equality.
- “Decarbonization by 2050” is the agenda decided at U20 meet which will be presented in G20 2019 summit in Osaka.
- Urban 20 or U20 (2017) is an initiative under the leadership of the Mayors of Buenos Aires and Paris, and jointly convened by the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) and United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG).
- SpaceX has launched the first batch of 60 small satellites (from Falcon 9 rocket) into low-Earth orbit for Elon Musk’s new Starlink internet service from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, US.
- 2nd Shanghai Cooperation Organization- SCO Mass Media Forum was inaugurated by President of Kyrgyz Republic S. Jeenbeko at Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- It aims to strengthen the exchange and cooperation in the field of mass media amongst SCO countries.
- India’s Ministry of Information and Broadcast, invited all the SCO members to the Golden Jubilee edition of International Film Festival of India to be held in Goa in November 2019.
- Resolution of Media Forum for establishing collaborations of Mass Media Organizations of the SCO member Countries was also adopted.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- A 12-member committee, headed by Surjit Bhalla, set up by the Ministry of Commerce, has suggested it to issue ‘Elephant Bonds’ to people who declare their income as undisclosed.
- Under the Elephant Bonds (25-year sovereign bonds), the people with undisclosed income will have to invest 50% in these bonds.
- The fund, made from these bonds, will be utilized only for infrastructure projects.
- Other suggestions include: increase exports of goods and services to over USD 1,000 billion by 2025; lowering effective corporate tax rate; increasing capital base of EXIM Bank by another Rs 20,000 crore by 2022; setting up of empowered investment promotion agency.
- Corporation Bank launched ‘Corp SME Suvidha’, a unique product for GST registered MSMEs at its corporate office in Mangaluru, as part of its efforts to design best products for MSMEs.
- International Commonwealth Day was observed on March 11, 2019 (marking the 70 years of Commonwealth) in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Americas, the Pacific and Europe.
- Theme for 2019: – “A Connected Commonwealth”.
- India observes the Commonwealth Day on May 24.
- Commonwealth Day, was earlier known as Empire Day, is the annual celebration of the Commonwealth of Nations, often held on the second Monday in March every year.
- World Turtle Day 2019 is observed on May 23 by the American Tortoise Rescue Society.
- Theme for 2019: – “Adopt, Don’t Shop”.
- International Missing Children’s Day is observed on May 25 to raise awareness about abducted and lost children.
- In 1983, U.S. President Ronald Reagan had declared May 25 as “National Missing Children’s Day”.
- In India, “Missing and Untraced Children” were in 2016 amount to 55,625 (data taken from National Crime Record Bureau’s Crime in India 2016 report).
- World Thyroid Day is observed on May 25.
- Theme for 2019: – “The Many Faces of Thyroid Disorder”.
- According to National Centre for Biotechnology Information, about 42 million people in India suffer from thyroid diseases as of 2011.
- Nalini Malani (aged 73) has become the first Indian to win the 7th biennial Joan Miró Prize for 2019.
- The award is named after Spanish painter and sculptor Joan Miró, and is one of the most prestigious contemporary art awards in the world.
- The award carries a cash prize of Euro 70,000 (Rs 54.5 lakh approx), and the production cost of a monographic exhibition by the winning artist, to be held at the foundation in Spain 2020.
- Anirudh Chandrasekar and Niki Kaliyanda Poonacha won title in men’s doubles in the 2019 International Tennis Federation (ITF) World Tennis Pro Circuit 2 held in Kampala, Uganda.
- Russia’s Ivan Nedelko won the men’s singles title.
- Shiva Thapar (Male), Francesca Amato (Italy, Female) won Best Boxers award at the 2nd India Open international boxing tournament in
- India has won a total of 12 Gold medals in tournaments.
- NASA has discovered 18 Earth-sized exoplanets outside the solar system.
- The planets include one of the smallest known so far and another that could offer conditions friendly to life.
- It was found out by using NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope and was published in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.
- Earth’s oldest fungi Ourasphaira giraldae (1 billion years old), has been discovered by the University of Liega, Belgium, in Canada.
- The research of this fossilised fungi was published in journal Nature.
- Chitin—a fibrous substance that forms on fungal cell walls- was found on that fossil.