Current Affairs for 26 March and 27 March 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- As per the annual list of Global Energy Transition Index compiled by
Geneva basedWorld Economic Forum, India has been ranked at the 76th position.
- Sweden has been ranked
atthe first position among 115 countries.
- The index takes into account six individual indicators: capital and investment, regulation and political commitment, institutions and governance, institutions and innovative business environment, human capital and consumer participation, and energy system structure.
- Sweden has been ranked
- Indian Air Force is participating in the Langkawi International Maritime Aero Expo (LIMA-2019) for the first time.
- It is planned in Langkawi, Malaysia.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has opened the registration for recently launched Young Scientist Programme. – “
YUvaVIgyani KAryakram” (Yuvika).
- It is aimed at imparting basic knowledge on Space Technology, Space Science and Space Applications to the younger ones.
- The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has announced the introduction of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Early Childhood Care Education (ECCE) and Yoga as skill subjects in the school curriculum for academic session 2019-20.
- Artificial Intelligence will be introduced as an optional sixth subject for Class IX whereas ECCE and Yoga are being introduced as elective subjects at senior secondary level.
- According to a report by the International Energy Agency (IEA), India emitted 2,299 million tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2018, a 4.8% rise from last year.
- India’s emissions growth this year was higher than that of the United States and China and this was primarily due to a rise in coal consumption.
- India’s per capita emissions were about 40% of the global average and contributed 7% to the global carbon dioxide burden.
- The United States was responsible for 14%.
- India has become the fourth nation in the world after
UnitedStates, China andRussia to demonstrate Anti-Satellite (A-SAT) missile – Mission Shakti, making it a “space superpower”.
- Mission Shakti is a joint programme of DRDO and ISRO.
- The technology is indigenously developed.
- Norway’s capital Oslo will become the first city in the world to install wireless charging systems for electric taxis.
- The city is requiring all of its taxis be zero-emission vehicles by 2023.
- Dubai e-waste specialist Enviroserve has opened The Recycling Hub, the world’s largest e-waste recycling facility at a total cost of Dh120 million.
- It is located at Dubai Industrial Park.
- The European Parliament (EU) has passed the EU Copyrights Law. As per the law-
- Article 13: The article is dubbed as “upload filter”. It mandates online platforms like Facebook and YouTube to restrict users from sharing unlicensed copyrighted material and makes the online platforms liable for copyright violations.
- Article 11: The article is dubbed as “link tax“. It mandates Internet giants like Facebook and Google to pay news
organisationsto use their headlines on their platforms.
- Pakistan government has approved a proposal to establish a corridor which would allow Hindu pilgrims from India to visit Sharda Peeth in the region of Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK).
- It will be the second corridor to be established after the Kartarpur Corridor which provides access to Gurudwara Darbar Sahib at Kartarpur in Pakistan.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- The RBI received bids
totalling$16.3 billion at the swap auction where it proposed to buy $5 billion from lenders.
- The cut-off premium on the swap was set at ₹7.76 by the central bank.
- In turn, RBI infused ₹34,561 crore rupee liquidity.
- The Tech Giant Apple has partnered with Goldman Sachs and Mastercard and announced a new credit card called Apple Card.
- It comes with no fees.
- No international fees, late fees or even a higher rate of interest if you miss a payment.
- Apple Card can be used along the wallet app of the iPhone.
- The Epilepsy Awareness Day or World Purple day falls on 26 March each year.
- The day seeks to raise awareness about epilepsy (Epilepsy is a central nervous system disorder in which brain activity becomes abnormal, causing seizures of unusual behaviour).
Tabichi, a Kenyan math andphysics teacher has been conferred with the prestigious $1 million Varkey Foundation Global Teacher Prize for 2019.
Paralympictorch was unveiled by the Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo 2020) to depict the torch relay.
- It is in line with the concept ‘Share Your Light’.
- It is
modelledafter the Japanese Cherry Blossom or “ sakura”.
- Rajasthan Royals opener Jos Buttler became the first victim of ‘Mankading’ in the history of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Mankading is the situation where a bowler run out a non-striker by hitting the bails before bowling when the non-striker is outside the crease, with no warning.
- The dismissal is named after the Indian Cricketer Vinoo Mankad.
- For the first time in
world, researchers at the GRAPES-3 muon telescope facility in Ooty have measured the electrical potential, size andheight of a thundercloud that passed overhead on December 1, 2014 . Thiscloud had 10 times higher potential than the previous record in a cloud at 1.3 gigavolts (GV).