April 27, 2018
- India has agreed for the most revered Buddhist relics from Sarnath to be taken to Sri Lanka for public exposition on the occasion of Vesak festival.
- This is the first time relics from Sarnath are being brought to Sri Lanka from India, and special arrangements have been made for this purpose.
- Vesak Festival is celebrated in Sri Lanka.
- The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi launched the Van Dhan Scheme of Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED, during the celebrations of Ambedkar Jayanti at Bijapur, Chattisgarh.
- TRIFED – Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited
- Van Dhan Scheme – This scheme is for socio economic development of tribals living in forests, for whom, collecting Minor Forest Produce (MFP) is a major source of livelihood
- Under Van Dhan, 10 Self Help Groups (SHGs) of 30 Tribal gatherers will be constituted.
- Each SHG will trained and provided with working capital to add value to the products, which they collect from the jungle.
- Government is planning to set up 30000 centres across India for providing training and technical support.
- India-Nepal Inter-Governmental Committee (IGC) meeting on trade, transit and cooperation to Control Unauthorised Trade started in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh launched a portal to facilitate import-export of seeds and planting material.
- This portal will help organisations involved in import-export of seeds to do away with the requirement to submit their applications in 20 copies and will expedite fetching remarks from the different departments which will lead to timely disposal of the applications.
- Union Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with Google India, launched a 360° Virtual Reality (VR) experience video on Incredible India.
- This 360° Virtual Reality (VR) experience video on Incredible India takes through a journey across Hampi, Goa, Delhi and Amritsar.
- The video covers the site-specific as well as the people-aspect associated with these destinations.
- The Telecom Commission has approved a comprehensive strategy to implement BharatNet in the North East region.
- As per the comprehensive strategy, all the uncovered gram panchayats in the North East region, mainly in Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Manipur and Tripura will be connected through broadband connectivity on satellite media by December 2018.
- The estimated cost for this is Rs 733 crore. 6994 towers will be set up to offer connectivity to 8621 villages and along the national highways at a cost of Rs 5336 crore.
- MoU has already been signed between BSNL and USO Fund to establish 2817 towers in Arunachal Pradesh and two districts of Assam.
- He revealed the vision document of “Ashtamangal” Phase II.Phase II of BharatNet and Ashtamangal will be finished by December 2018 or March 2019.
- Shirui Lily Festival 2018 is being held in Ukhrul district of Manipurfrom 24th to 28th April, 2018.
- The festival commemorates the significance of Manipur’s state flower, the Shirui Lily
- Himachal Pradesh Government has decided to introduce free Heli-ambulance servicesin order to help patients in the far flung and inaccessible areas of the State.
- Former footballer Bhaichung Bhutia launched his political party named “Hamro Sikkim” at the Press Club of India, New Delhi.
- He was the member of the Trinamool Congress Party, resigned in February 2018.
- The Maharashtra government announced the launch of ‘Startup Week 2018’ from 25thJune to 29th June 2018, with an aim to promote entrepreneurial eco-system.
- Will offer new companies a platform to display their innovative products and services to the Maharashtra state government.
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Research & Development (R&D) centre in Faridabad, Haryana has signed a Letter of Intent (LoI) with ISKCON Food Relief Foundation (IFRF), Haryana, through which, entire cost of Cooking gas and Delivery Vehicle’s CNG incurred under IFRF, Haryana’s midday meal initiative will be borne by IOC.
- In collaboration with HUDA (Haryana Urban Development Authority) and MCF (Municipal Corporation of Faridabad), domestic waste from the households of Faridabad will be picked, segregated and converted into Biogas by a unique “Bio-Methanation Patented Plant”conceptualized by the IOCL’s R&D centre.
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) signed an agreement with Macquarie for road projects under the highway monetisation initiative.
- The agreement has been signed with Macquarie for the first set of highway projects worth USD 1.5 billion. This is one of the highest FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) in highways.
- Dalmia Bharat Limited has signed a MoU with the Tourism Ministry to take up Red Fort and Gandikota Fort (Andhra Pradesh) under the ‘Adopt a Heritage’ project.
- Dalmia Bharat Limited has become the first corporate to be part of the ‘Adopt a Heritage’ project.
- FMCG major ITC has joined hands with NITI Aayog to train 2 lakh farmers to increase their income and raise productivity of major crops in 25 “aspirational districts” across seven states in the country by 2022.
- These 25 aspirational districts are in Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh
- The partnership is for period of four years i.e. up to April 2022.
1. Online search engine Googleis the most trusted Internet brand in India as per the TRA Brand Trust Report 2018 with 1.2 trillion searches per year.
- Followed by Facebook, Amzaon and eBay
- The biggest falls in trust were seen by Snapdeal,who fell by 142 ranks over last year.
- The top trust gainers this year were Netflix (up 506 ranks over last year).
2. The Government of Kazakhstan has launched a 72-hour-long transit visa free regime for Indian citizens from 17thApril 2018 to 31st December 2018.
- Only citizens of India are eligible for this facility who fly with Air Astana (Kazakhstan’s national carrier) or any other Kazakh airline and are transiting through international airports in Astana and/or Almaty to a third country or returning from a third country through Astana and/or Almaty.
- Applicable for individuals and tour groups.
3. The first Informal Summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and China’s President Xi Jinping was held in Wuhan.
- The purpose of meeting was to exchange views on overarching issues of bilateral and global importance and to elaborate their respective visions and priorities for national development in context of current and future international situation
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- India Index Services & Products Limited (IISL), index services subsidiary of National Stock Exchange of India has introduced Nifty Equity Savings Index, which can serve as a benchmark for equity savings funds offered by various mutual fund houses.
- This index captures the performance of a portfolio having exposure to equity, equity arbitrage and debt instruments.
- Components and Weightage:Nifty 50 Total Return Index – 35%, Equity arbitrage (long position in Nifty 50 Total Return Index and equivalent short position in Nifty 50 Futures Index) – 30%, Nifty Short Duration Debt Index – 30%, Nifty 1D Rate Index – 5%.
- The base date of Nifty Equity Savings Index is April 1, 2005 and value is 1000. It will be calculated on end-of-day (EOD) basis.
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has granted first licence for Liquid Chlorine on All India basis to Vadodara based, M/s Gujarat Alkalies and Chemicals Ltd
- Liquid chlorine is primarily used in paper, pulp, textile bleaching, water sterilization and manufacture of chemicals.
- As the name indicates, this product is in liquid form, but is used as a gas obtained by evaporating the liquid from a metal container.
- The move will facilitate industry to get a quality Liquid Chlorine with Standard Mark under BIS Certification Marks scheme.
- Mike Pompeowas sworn in as the secretary of state of Senate.
- Haryana State Government has appointed international female shooter Gauri Sheoranas the brand ambassador for its two health-related programmes viz. measles-rubella (MR) vaccination campaign and Rashtriya Bal Swasthya Karyakram (RBSK).
- RBSK involves screening children enrolled in government and government-aided schools and anganwadi centres (AWCs) for detecting deficiencies, diseases, and development delays including disability.
- Lt Gen Bipin Puri took charge as Senior Col Commandant of the Army Medical Corps.
- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is awarded the National Intellectual Property (IP) Award 2018 in the category “Top R&D Institution / Organization for Patents and Commercialization”.
- Girish Sahni, DG, CSIR and Secretary, DSIR.
- Nadiya Shafi, a video reporter from Srinagar, has received 2018’s ‘Martha Farrell Award for Excellence in Women’s Empowerment’, with a cash prize of Rs 1.50 lakh for contributing to gender equality and leading gender discussion clubs in Srinagar.
- Moglix, a B2B commerce company, announced that it has won 11th edition of SAP ACE Awards 2018 in Sourcing Excellence category as a recognition to its extraordinary innovative procurement technology.
- National Safety Council’s (NSCI) Safety Awards’ for 2017 were presented at New Delhi.
- The NSCI Safety Awards are national level Awards in occupational safety, health and environment sector.
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has developed ‘Bhabha Kavach’, a next-generation bulletproof jacket for the Indian armed forces, which is cheaper and much lighter as compared to the ones which are used currently.
- Bhabha Kavach is made using extremely hard boron carbide ceramics (used for first time in India for making jackets), hot-pressed with carbon nano-tubes and composite polymer. It weighs just 6.6 kg in comparison to the 17-kg jackets in use.
- Each Bhabha Kavach costs Rs. 70000, which is almost half the price of jackets of similar strength available in the range of Rs. 1.5 lakh, and that too have to be imported.
- ‘Fejervarya goemchi’, a large-sized brown frog, measuring 41 to 46mm, has been discovered in Goa.
- Fejervarya goemchi has been named after the state Goa, where it was discovered.
- It has been discovered by scientists of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), Pune. It was discovered in Surla, Goa.
- Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare released a Handbook on Prevention of Accidents and Awareness of First Aid on the occasion of ‘Road Safety Week’ at an event in New Delhi.