Current Affairs for 27 April and 28 April 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- Indian Army and National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) have signed an MoU for the construction of underground tunnels for storage of ammunition and war equipment across India’s border with Pakistan (1 tunnel) and China (3 tunnels) , at a cost of Rs 15 crores.
- According to State of Internet/Security 2019 report released by Akamai Technologies, India is the 2nd most cyber (hacking) attacked country after United States, while Canada is on the 3rd position.
- Parameters:- Credential Stuffing (breaching of databases), API (Application Program Interface) traffic, DNS (Domain Naming System) traffic
- Indian Institute of Management- Bangalore becomes the only Indian Business school to secure a position in QS Executive MBA Ranking 2019 for its Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM).
- IIM-B has secured 12th position in Asia-Pacific region and 61st globally.
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has set up a committee, headed by Suresh Mathur, to review regulatory framework on micro insurance and to increase the demand in this sector.
- NITI Aayog Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) and UNICEF India signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) to provide an open platform for children empowerment.
- The plan will be implemented through Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL).
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MOEFCC) formed a steering committee, headed by its secretary C K Mishra, to review, direct and guide the action plan for effective implementation of National Clean Air Programme (NCAP).
- NCAP is a pan-India programme, launched in January 2019 by MOEFCC, to tackle issues of increasing air pollution.
- Qatar will end its Exit Visa policy for all foreign workers by the end of 2019.
- An exit visa allows the traveler a specified period of time to leave the country prior to the employer’s approval.
- China during its second Belt and Road Initiative’s forum has signed for USD 64 billion for cooperation projects.
- The Belt and Road Initiative(BRI) is a flagship foreign strategy of Xi Jinping’s government to develop infrastructure and investments in 152 countries and international organizations in Europe, Asia, Middle East, Latin America and Africa.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Microsoft became the third company in the world to be worth at $1 trillion in stock valuation, subsequent to Apple and Amazon.
- HDFC bank and Max Bupa (Health insurer) have launched the ‘AnyTimeHealth’ Machines for easy purchase of health insurance without manual intervention through this automated machine.
- Initially, 15-20 ATH machines will be installed across branches of HDFC.
- The Finance Ministry has approved 65 percent rate of interest from 8.55% on Employees’ Provident Fund for 2018-19 as decided by Employees Provident Fund Organisation.
- RBI has extended the Ombudsman scheme to “Eligible Non-Deposit taking NBFCs” whose asset worth should be Rs 100 crore or above.
- NBFC groups such as NBFC-Infrastructure Finance Company, Core Investment Company, Infrastructure Debt NBFC and an NBFC under liquidation are excluded from the scheme.
- RBI will shortly issue new notes of Rs 20 denominations.
- The new note is greenish-yellow and has a motif of Ellora cave at reverse side to depict cultural heritage of India.
- Ellora Caves (a UNESCO approved world heritage site) are located in Aurangabad district of Maharashtra.
- Siddharth Mohanty has been appointed as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of LIC Housing Finance.
- R A Shankar Narayanan has been appointed as MD and CEO of Canara Bank until January 2020.
- World Day for Safety and Health At Work was observed on April 28.
- Arunachalam Muruganantham has been ranked at 45th position in the Fortune Magazine’s 2019 list of World’s 50 greatest leaders.
- He developed the low-cost sanitary napkins in rural areas. ‘Padman’ movie is inspired from his life.
- Australia’s Claire Polosak has become the first woman umpire to examine a men’s ODI in the final match of ICC World Cricket League 2.
- India concluded Asian Confederation Boxing Championships 2019 by winning 13 medals (2 gold, 4 silver and 7 bronze) organised by International Boxing Association (AIBA) held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- India concluded the Asian Wrestling Championship 2019 by ranking at 8th position with 16 medals (1 gold, 6 silver and 9 bronze) held in Xi’an, China.
- Bajrang Punia won the gold medal in 65kg men’s free style wrestling.
- English translation of “Khooni Vaishakhi” written by Nanak Suri has been translated into English for the first time by his grandson Navdeep Singh Suri.