June 28, 2018
- According to a report by market research firm eMarketer, media consumption over digital mediums like smartphones, tablets, and PCs and others are expected to more than double from five years ago among the Indian adult population.
- Indian adults will spend around 1 hour, 24 minutes per day with digital devices in 2018.
- Interestingly, the overall smartphone penetration in India is still relatively low, and just over 29% of the adult population currently use smartphones in the country.
- eMarketer predicts that smartphone users in India will spend 2 hours, 39 minutes daily with their handsets in 2018.
- The government has started discussions for sale of Air India’s (AI’s) iconic building in Mumbai to the country’s biggest container port Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT).
- US government has asked all countries including India to stop oil imports from Iran by November 4.
- India is the second largest buyer of Iranian crude after China
- And Iran is the third largest supplier to India after Saudi Arabia and Iraq.
- This has been done in line with the US withdrawal from Iran deal.
- Iran Nuclear Deal – In 2015, six countries led by the US signed up to a landmark deal with Iran known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and Tehran agreed to limit its nuclear programme in exchange for the lifting of certain western sanctions.
- The US, UK, France, Germany, Russia, China and Iran signed the deal, alongside the EU.
- As part of its withdrawal from the deal, the Trump administration has re–imposed sweeping sanctions against Iran with immediate effect that effectively blocks new contracts with Iran and business operations in the country.
- As per the analysis of Demographic and Health Surveys by Live Mint, Of the 43 countries for which recent data on sexual violence is available, India ranks 32 when it comes to the share of women aged 15-49 who ever experienced such violence in their lifetime.
- These 43 countries are those for which the last DHS survey was conducted on or after 2010.
- In India, the DHS is known as the National Family Health Survey (NFHS), which interviewed more than 700,000 women in 2015-16 during the last round of the survey.
- While the risk of sexual violence in India is undeniable, India does not seem to be the most dangerous place when it comes to the risk of sexual violence.
- Most offenders tend to be husbands or partners of the victims.
- Union Government has unveiled the draft of the bill to replace higher education regulator University Grants Commission (UGC) with a Higher Education Commission.
- The new commission to be established through an Act will not have grant-making authority, will promote reduced inspection system and will focus more on quality outcome at universities and colleges.
- According to the draft bill, the commission will have the power to impose penalty on higher educational institutions that are found wanting.
- Any further violations could lead to criminal proceedings “under the Criminal Procedure Code and may be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend up to three years”.
- India and Singapore have resolved the contentious issues of visa and banking restrictions, which led to the conclusion of the long-pending second review of the bilateral free trade agreement.
- The Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) between the two countries came into force on 1 August 2005 and the first review was concluded on 1 October 2007.
- The second review of the CECA was launched in May 2010, but since then the review was held primarily on two counts.
One, Singapore had restricted the movement of skilled professionals from India after putting Indian information technology companies under its fair consideration framework watch list, which gave preference to Singapore citizens in jobs introduced in 2014.
Two, Singapore mandated a higher Asset Maintenance Ratio (AMR) for Indian banks, including the State Bank of India and the ICICI Bank, operating in Singapore compared to the mandate for other foreign banks.
- Telangana Chief Minister K. Chandrashekhar Rao released 15 crore for organizing Bonalu Festival.
- Bonalu is an annual festival of Telangana celebrated in twin cities Hyderabad, Secunderabad and other parts of Telangana.
- Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh announced that centre has released Rs 340 crore to Assam.
- Out of Rs.340 crore, Rs 101 crore was released by the DoNER and Rs 239 crore was given by the home ministry under the State Disaster Relief Fund (SDRF) account.
- Union Government approved signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) titled Joint Declaration of Intent between India and Germany on Cooperation in the field of Civil Aviation.
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has restricted the manufacture of Oxytocin formulations for domestic use to public sector only from 1st July 2018.
- The import of Oxytocin and its formulations is also banned.
- Only Karnataka Antibiotics & Pharmaceuticals Ltd (KAPL), a public sector company, will manufacture Oxytocin for domestic use from 1st July 2018.
- The Union government banned imports of the hormone oxytocin to stop its misuse in the livestock industry, where activists say it causes hormonal imbalances and shortens the lives of milch animals.
- The government approved capital infusion of Rs 2,000 crore in Export Credit Guarantee Corporation (ECGC).
- The amount would be infused in the three financial years i.e. 50 crore in 2017-18, Rs.1450crore in the year 2018-19 and Rs.500 crore for 2019-20.
- Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) sent a vision document called IMPRESS (Impactful Policy Research in Social Sciences) to the government.
- It includes research proposals on public-private partnerships, food security, Make In India (a key policy initiative of the present government), federalism, regionalism and its implications, etc.
- Tamil Nadu will become the first State in the country to virtually connect 58 computed tomography (CT) and 18 magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines located in different government hospitals in the State.
- It will be done through teleradiology system.
- Punjab CM Amarinder Singh, to hand over ₹4.50 cr. to 40 people who spent time in Jodhpur prison following the Army operation to flush out militants from the Golden Temple in 1984.
- Around 300 people were arrested and detained in the Jodhpur jail in June 1984 in the wake of Operation Blue Star, and were later released in three batches, between March 1989 and July 1991.
- The Hayabusa2, Japanese Probe mission has reached an asteroid 300 million km away to collect information about the birth of the solar system and the origin of life.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- As a part of Rationalization of overseas operations, State Bank of India (SBI) is going to shut 9 more foreign branches.
- The lender has operations in 36 countries with 190 branches.
- The Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank)announced that it has extended $10 million worth of line of credit (LOC) to Seychelles.
- This is for healthcare and procurement of goods and projects.
- It is the first tranche of the $50 million sanctioned by the Exim Bank to the country.
- Anant Barua has been appointed the new whole-time member of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- Pallavi Durua, of Odisha’s Koraput district, was crowned as the first Tribal Queen at the Adi Rani Kalinga Tribal Queen competition held at Utkal Mandap in Odisha.
- TechnipFMC was awarded a special recognition award for their community development initiative in India called ‘Seed of Hope’, at the 13th National Convention 2018.
- Seed of Hope is the flagship CSR program of TechnipFMC. The project was started in 2016.
- It aims to enhance the quality of life of the village people in Suva, Gujarat.
- Pushpa Bhave, an eminent scholar and social activist was awarded the ‘Rajarshi Shahu Puraskar’.
- Rajarshi Shahu, a former ruler of the erst while princely state of Kolhapur.
- The award consists of a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh.
- The Ministry of Shipping’s ‘Sagarmala’ programme was awarded the ‘Gold Award’ in infrastructure sectorin the 52nd Skoch Summit 2018.
- Sagarmala is the flagship programme of the Ministry of Shipping for port-led-development of India by utilising India’s 7,500 km long coastline, 14,500 km of potentially navigable waterways and strategic location of India on major international maritime trade route.
- Bengal swimmer Swadesh Mondal created another national record at the 45th Glenmark Junior and 35th Sub Junior National Aquatic Championships in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Commonwealth Games gold medallist Manu
Bhaker, win the women’s air pistol gold in the Junior World Cup, Germany.
- India continued to sit on top of the medals table with nine gold, one silver
andseven bronze medals.
- India continued to sit on top of the medals table with nine gold, one silver