Current Affairs for 29 April and 30 April 2019
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- India and China have formed a Joint Working Group (JWG) to figure out ways to fight crude oil volatility.
- India is the 3rd largest importer of oil and 4th largest importer of LNG Gas.
- China is the second largest importer of oil and LNG Gas in the world.
- According to Ministry of External Affairs data, India has increased the Line of Credits (LoC) to other countries (total 63- mostly from Asia and Africa) from 195 ($11 billion) in 2017-18 to 278 ($28 billion) LoC in 2018-19.
- Line of Credits are the loans provided to other countries at a concessional rate from money borrowed at market prices by India’s Exim bank.
- IIT Madras has developed a method for reading documents in Bharati script using a multi-lingual Optical Character Recognition (OCR) scheme and a finger-spelling method for hearing-impaired people.
- Bharti Script is a unified script of nine Indian languages which includes Devnagari, Bengali, Gurmukhi, Gujarati, Oriya, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Tamil.
- According to Indian Meteorological Department, Cyclone Fani is likely to hit the coast of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
- Indian Army is planning to induct Spike-LR Anti-Tank Missiles from Israel and Igla-S (Very Short Range Air Defence System) from Russia through the emergency financial route.
- Under Emergency Financial Route, Ministry of Defence has given a free hand to Indian army to procure the equipment up to Rs 300 crores on priority basis.
- US has prepared a black list on Intellectual Property Theft and Patent Violations.
- China is at the top and India is at the second.
- The list includes 11 countries: –
- Global Food Policy Report 2019, released by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), mentions that 821 million people across the world are facing chronic food and undernourishment levels have also risen.
- This year’s report focused on “Rural Revitalization”.
- According to data released by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), India was the world’s fourth biggest military spender in 2018 after United States, China and Saudi Arabia.
- The total world military expenditure rose to $1,822 billion in 2018 which is an increase of 2.6% from 2017.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs under Ministry of Finance has raised basic custom duty on wheat from 30% to 40% to discourage imports.
- The expected production of wheat is likely to cross 100 million as per the government.
- GST Council has formed an Officer’s Committee to look into the feasibility of e-invoices (electronic invoices) in paying GST taxes in India by studying the existing systems of South Korea, Latin America etc.
- A threshold limit will be set by the officer’s committee, based on either the turnover or the value of invoice for businesses to be eligible to generate an e-invoice.
- Rajiv Ranjan, Special Secretary of GST council is the convener of the officer’s committee.
- “Fancode”- an ad-free multisport aggregator platform has been launched by Dream 11.
- The platform will provide content on commerce (sports merchandise), match reviews and previews etc.
- According to RBI’s proposed norms for opening and regulation of current accounts for the corporates, the current accounts of corporate borrowers can ‘only be opened’ with the main bank in a lending consortium, while other lenders having collection accounts will have to ultimately transfer funds to the main lender’s current account.
- Applicable to corporates having 50 crores or more amount of loans from banks.
- Purpose – To check fund diversion in current account.
- There will be no limit on “credits” in collection accounts with other banks (which are not leading consortium), but the ‘debits’ should be restricted to remitting the proceeds to the current or escrow accounts maintained with the main bank.
- World Veterinary Day was observed on April 27 by the World Veterinary Association.
- Theme for 2019: – “Value for Vaccination”.
- Goldman Environmental Prize 2019 has been conferred for protecting the environment to:-
- Bajrang Punia has become the first Indian wrestler to be invited by USA Wrestling for a match at New York’s Iconic Madison Square Garden.
- Asian Weightlifting Championship 2019 concluded in Ningbo, China.
- Jhilli Dalabehera, is the only women this year to win a medal (silver).
- Pardeep Singh won a bronze medal in clean and jerk in the 102kg category.
- Former world champion Mirabai Chanu (49kg) had also picked up a bronze in clean and jerk.
- World Number 1 ranker Kento Momota won the Men’s single event at Badminton Asia Championship 2019 conducted in Wuhan, China.
- Akane Yamaguchi won the championship in Women’s single event.
- FC Barcelona won the 26th LaLiga Santander Title (football) 2018-19.
- India topped the ISSF World Cup Rifle/Pistol Event with 4 medals (3 gold and 1 silver) which was held in Beijing, China.
Anjum Moudgil and Divyansh Singh Panwar
10m air rifle mixed team
Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary
10m air pistol mixed team
10m Air Pistol
Divyansh Singh Panwar
10m air rifle
- Ma Long has won ITTF World Table Tennis Championship 2019 title for the third time.
- Valtteri Bottas took over Lewis Hamilton to win in the Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2019.
- “Politics of Jugaad: A Coalition Handbook” is authored by Saba Naqvi which examines the possibility of a coalition government after the 2019 Lok Sabha polls.