Current Affairs for July 29, 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- President Ram Nath Kovind visited three West African countries– Benin, The Gambia and Guinea to strengthen bilateral ties.
- This is the first time that the highest level delegation (President) from India has visited these three nations.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh is also on a visit to African country- Mozambique.
- Tiger Census 2018 – “Status of Tiger in India 2018” has been released, and a total of 2,967 tigers are found in India, which is a 33% increase in population since 2014.
Sathyamangalam Wildlife Sanctuary and Tiger Reserve received the award for recording the highest ever increase (30%) in tiger population.
The survey was conducted by Wildlife Institute of India (WII) and is conducted once in four years.
The report has been released on International Tiger Day on July 29.
In 2014, the total population of tigers was 2,226.
An agreement was signed in 2010 in St. Petersburg, Russia to double the population of tigers by 2022.
It was signed among Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Russian Federation, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Madhya Pradesh’s Pench sanctuary and Kerala’s Periyar sanctuary were the best managed tiger reserves.
Dampa reserve (in Mizoram) and Rajaji reserves (in Uttarakhand) were at the bottom.
- Nagaland government has formed a 4-member committee, headed by Temjen Toy, to compile the customary practices of all the tribes of Nagaland.
- Apart from this, a 3-member panel has also been formed to work on the detail modalities of Register of Indigenous Inhabitants of Nagaland (RIIN).
- Advisor to this panel is Justice (Retd) Zelre Angami.
- IIT-Madras has developed a ‘smart agricopter’ which helps in effectively spraying pesticides over the fields thus, eliminates manual spraying of pesticides in agricultural fields.
- It has an advanced multi-spectral imaging camera to detect crop health.
- Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region stated that first Bamboo Industrial Park will be set up at Manderdisa in Dima Hasao district of Assam at a cost of Rs. 50 crores.
- The ministry sanctioned 49 new projects worth Rs 1,231 crore.
- These projects include 8 projects worth Rs 586.3 crore under North East Road Sector Development Scheme and North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme .
- Ministry of Defence has launched a dashboard of Department of Defence Production (DDP) to monitor the effective implementation of various initiatives and schemes of the ministry.
- As per the dashboard, India has exported its defence offset of $1,570 million and exports worth Rs 3,323 crore.
- Defence production was worth of Rs 80,502 crore in 2018-19 and the target for 2019-20 is Rs 90,000 crore.
- Government will operationalize up two Defence Industrial Corridors in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu to cover the needs of MSME.
- UP Defence Industrial Corridor project was launched in 2018 to be built at a cost of Rs 20,000 crore.
- The six nodes of UP Defence Industrial Corridor include Lucknow, Kanpur, Agra, Aligarh, Chitrakoot and Jhansi.
- upGrad (an online education platform) and Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) have introduced a first of its kind online Master’s degree program in Data Science for working professionals.
- The 18-month program – first 12 months will be delivered by International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore (IIIT-B) and the next 6 months by LJMU.
- Post Graduate Program in Data Science will be provided by IIIT-B and also a Master’s degree in Data Science from LJMU post- program completion.
- BRICS Foreign Ministers’ Meet was held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- BRICS presidency for 2019 is vested with Russia.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- IMA Jewels (Bengaluru-based) Ponzi scheme company has defrauded investors worth Rs 4,084 crore.
- Rose Valley, Saradha, IMA Jewels, Stock Guru, and Speak Asia are other major scams in the Ponzi scheme in the recent past.
Ponzi schemes are fraudulent investing scams which promise higher returns to investors. Under the Ponzi scheme, the company takes new investments to pay off the previous investors. And this goes on, until the gap between revenue and expenditure is widened.
- London Stock Exchange Group has bid to buy Refinitiv in a $27 billion deal.
- VK Johri has been appointed as the new Director General of Border Security Force.
2. Badri Narain Sharma has been re-appointed as the chairman of National Anti-profiteering Authority for next two years.
- World Nature Conservation Day is observed on July 28.
- World Hepatitis Day 2019 is observed on July 28 by World Health Organization.
- Theme for 2019: – Invest in Eliminating Hepatitis.
- The host country for holding global events of WHD 2019 is Pakistan.
- Dr Baruch Blumberg, who discovered hepatitis B virus, was born on 28 July 1925.
- Sudarsan Pattnaik (sand artist) has won People’s Choice Award at 16th edition of Revere Beach International Sand Sculpting Festival 2019 in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- He won the award for sculpture ‘Stop Plastic Pollution, Save Our Ocean’.
- It is one of the largest sand sculpting festivals in the world where Patnaik was the sole representative from India and Asia.
- Nikoloz Basilashvili has won the Hamburg Open 2019 (Tennis) held in Hamburg, Germany.
- Union Territory Cricket Association (UTCA) Chandigarh has got the recognition from BCCI and has been formally inducted as cricket playing state with the Board.
- Chandigarh Cricket Association-Punjab had recently merged with UTCA.
- Fabrice Hugues Zango (from West African country of Burkina Faso) has won gold at the French Elite Championships 2019 (Athletics) held at Saint Etienne, France.
- Indian Blind Cricket Team has won the two matches T20I series against West Indies held in Jamaica.
- R. Praggnanandhaa (aged 13) won the title in the Xtracon Open chess championship held in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Vaishali won her first Grand Master-norm and second International Master-norm.
- MC Mary Kom won gold medal in the 23rd President’s Cup held in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia.
- Other gold winners: – Simranjit Kaur, Jamuna Boro, and Monika.
- Men’s Gold: – Ankush Dahiya, Neeraj Swami, Ananta Pralhad Chopade.
- India won all 7 Gold and two Silver medals.
- Egan Bernal (aged 22) has become the first Columbian and the youngest person (in 110 years) to win the Tour De France 2019 (bicycle race tournament).
- Ashish Kumar won his first international gold medal at Thailand Open International Boxing Tournament 2019, held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- India won a total of 8 medals– 1 gold, 4 silver and 3 bronze.
- Scientists led by Sneh Lata and Dr. A K Pandey at Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) in Nainital, Uttarakhand have discovered 28 new variable stars in Milky Way galaxy.
- This is the first time that variable stars have been found in NGC 4147 globular cluster, which is located closer to the Earth.
- The study was conducted by using the Devasthal Optical Telescope.