May 29, 2018
WORD OF THE DAY
Also called micro or small-cap stocks, these are scrips with relatively low market capitalization. Ankle biters are thinly-traded, volatile stocks but they have greater growth potential than larger stocks.
- Bhubaneswar (capital city of Odisha) becomes the fourth National data centre of National Informatics Centre (NIC) after Delhi, Hyderabad and Pune.
- The new cloud-enabled National Data Centre aims to offer round-the-clock operations with secure hosting for various e-governance applications of Central and State Governments and has the ability to support 35,000 virtual servers.
- The main event of 4th International Yoga Day celebrations will be held at Dehradun in Uttarakhand on 21st of June.
- Dehradun has been selected as the venue for Mass Yoga Demonstration of International Yoga Day
- An Agreement for IBRD Credit of USD 21.7 Million from the World Bank for the Strengthening of Public Financial Management in Rajasthan Project was signed in New Delhi.
- The Project size is approximately USD 31 million, of which USD 21.7 million will be financed by the World Bank, and the remaining amount will be funded out of the State Budget.
- The Project duration is 5 years to contribute to improved Budget execution, enhanced accountability and greater efficiency in Revenue Administration in Rajasthan.
- The Government has approved to set up “Brahmaputra Study Centre” at Gauhati University, Guwahati.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan will inaugurate the Samagra Resource Portal and mobile app.
- The Samagra Resource Portal and mobile app are developed by the Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education
- The Gujrat government released policy to reuse treated wastewater in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- The policy is called: ‘Reuse of Treated Waste Water Policy’.
- Setting up of 161Sewage treatment Plants (STP) in all major towns in Gujarat for non-drinking purposes
- This policy will double the water capacity to around 5000 million litres per day (MLD) in two years.
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI) launched the ‘Gaj Yatra’from Tura, a town in Garo Hills of
- IFFCO (Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative) and Indian Potash Ltd (IPL) have acquired 37 % stake in JPMC (Jordan Phosphate Mines Company), Jordan’s largest mining and chemical firm, for Rs 900 crore.
- Rangarajan committee – recommendations to decontrol the sugar sector
- The main recommendation of the report was to free the sugarcane price and link it to the price of sugar and by-products
- That never happened. The central government fixed a minimum price and some state governments fixed their own price at a higher level. Sugar prices rose and fell but cane prices either stayed fixed or increased.
- The situation this year has turned so bad that the government is considering a minimum price at which mills will sell sugar.
- If it goes through, it will control both the input cost and the output price in this season
- The 2nd meeting of SCO-AfghanistanContact Group Meeting was held in
- Azerbaijan inaugurated a pipeline at Sangachal Terminal, in Azerbaijan.
- This pipeline will eventually create the first direct route to transport gas from one of the world’s largest fields to Europe bypassing Russia.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Breakthrough Management Group International (BMGI), a global management consulting firm, has entered into a strategic partnership with SmartConnect Technologies, which provides Social / Digital Process Transformation through its IP-suite UNFYD®COMPASS across Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, mobility and field service operations.
- Gujarat International Finance Tech (GIFT) City has suffered a setback with the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd (NSE) reaching a dead end in its talks with the Singapore Stock Exchange (SGX).
- Justice R K Agrawal was appointed as the president of the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC).
- Defence Secretary Sanjay Mitra has been given Additional charge of DRDO.
- Alicia Pucheta has been named as the first woman President of
- Senior Journalists Amar Devulapalli has been appointed as the President of the Indian Journalists Union (IJU)
- The International Day of UN Peacekeepers is observed across the world on May 29
- Theme – ‘UN Peacekeepers: 70 Years of Service and Sacrifice’.
- Virat Kohli named the International Cricketer of the year at CEAT Cricket Ratings.
- Shikhar Dhawan has been awarded International Batsman of the Year.
- New Zealand player Trent Boult named International Bowler of the Year
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Farokh Engineer.
- Former Bihar minister Kameshwar Paswan died.