Current Affairs May 29,30 & 31, 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) in association with Nasscom will set up a Centre of Excellence in Internet of Things in Visakhapatnam.
- Purpose: – To promote the use of artificial intelligence by the industries.
- Other CoEs for industries in Bengaluru, Gurugram and Ahmedabad besides Vizag will also be opened.
- Vishakhapatnam will be benefited under National Policy on Software Products (2019) which aims to develop India as a Software Product Nation.
- Meghalaya CM Conrad K Sangma launched the “Aroma Mission” and also inaugurated the Processing Unit of Essential Oil at Byrwa village in Ri Bhoi District to boost the cultivation of medicinal and aromatic plants.
- Furthermore, broomsticks and bay leaves will now be categorized as ‘Agro Forestry’ items so that “farmers can easily engage in the sale of these products”.
- Telangana released a draft blockchain policy, under which India’s first ‘Blockchain District’ will be created in the state.
- The district would focus on banking, financial services and insurance; pharma and healthcare; logistics and supply chain; and the government sectors.
- IIT Guwahati and ISRO have signed an MoU to set up an “IITG-ISRO Space Technology Cell (STC)” at the institute.
- It would be a first of its kind in the North-East region where research and capacity building processes in field of space-technology would be conducted.
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) launched a theme song ‘Hawa Aane De’ on air pollution to spread awareness regarding protecting environment as the World Environment Day (June 5) is approaching.
- National Small Industries Corporation(NSIC) signed MOU with MSMEs Ministry for 2019-20.
- For enhanced services by NSIC under its marketing, financial, technology and other support services schemes for MSMEs in the country.
- Under the scheme of National SC-ST Hub, being implemented by NSIC on behalf of the Ministry, assistance to the SC/ST Entrepreneurs will also be provided.
- India has been ranked at the 43rd position moving up from 44th position on the IMD World Competitiveness Rankings-2019.
- Singapore has ranked as the world’s most competitive economy for the first time since 2010.
- Venezuela is at the last position at 63rd
- The economies were judged in four categories — Economic Performance, Infrastructure, Government Efficiency and Business Efficiency.
- Three women Indian Air Force officers were part of the country’s first all-women crew to fly a medium lift helicopter Mi-17 V5.
- Among these three, Flt Lt Parul Bhardwaj is also the first woman pilot to fly the Mi-17 V5 and Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal from Chandigarh is the first woman flight engineer of the IAF.
- ISRO and Indian Air Force have signed a MoU for crew selection and training for the ambitious Gaganyaan mission.
- Gaganyaan Mission is India’s first Human Spaceflight Programme expected to take place in 2022.
- The mission is intended to send 3 astronauts to space for a minimum of seven days.
- The first Rafale combat aircraft would be inducted into the Indian Air Force’s ‘Golden Arrows’ 17 Squadron which was commanded by Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa during the Kargil war in 1999.
- The first Rafale is expected to be handed over to the Indian Air Force in September 2019 which will undergo 1500 hours of testing.
- Indore’s Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar airport has been declared as an International airport. In pursuance of sub-rule (b) of rule 3 of the Passport (Entry into India) Rules, 1950.
- The 10th National Science Film Festival of India (NSFFI) will be organised in Tripura on January and February 2020.
- Odisha’s Chandrani Murmu, 25 year old, has become the youngest Member of Parliament.
- India, Sri Lanka and Japan have signed an Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) to jointly develop the East Container Terminal (ECT) at the Colombo Port in Sri Lanka.
- The project holds a lot of commercial significance for India as more than 70% of the transhipment business at ECT is linked to India.
- India and China Industry Cooperation forum was held in Guizhou Province of China to enhance cooperation for digital transition.
- The event was held on the sidelines of International Big Data Industry Expo 2019 being held in China which is being attended by 448 enterprises from 59 countries.
- This is world’s first big data-themed expo was launched in 2015.
- WHO has for the first time put burnout as a medical condition in its International Classification of Diseases (ICD) list, which is used globally as a benchmark for health diagnosis.
- The updated ICD list was drafted in 2018 and will be effective from January 2020.
- WHO classified burnout as “a syndrome conceptualized as resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed.”
- Another breakthrough was the inclusion of ‘video gaming’ as an addiction in ICD list for the first time.
- President of Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (popularly known as Oscar Academy), John Bailey e-launched the Hindi translation of Academy publication Digital Dilemma.
- Digital Dilemma is written by Milt Shelton and Andy Maltz.
- The National Film Archives of India and Academy had signed an MoU to translate it.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Standard Chartered Bank launched the Trade AI Engine in partnership with IBM Technology to improve the customer experience in trade document processing which will replace the Traditional documentary trade.
- It strives to eliminate the entire manual process involved in traditional documentary trade.
- Motilal Oswal AMC launched WhatsApp transaction platform for new as well as existing investors, through which they can invest any scheme.
- It is the first of its kind initiative by any fund house in India to do mutual fund transactions through WhatsApp messenger.
- The Reserve Bank of India has extended the last cut-off timing for customer transactions through Real Time Gross Settlement Systems (RTGS) from 4.30pm to 6pm on all working days, effective June 1, 2019.
- US removed India and Switzerland from the Currency Monitoring List.
- The list includes China, Japan, Germany and South Korea including new names Italy, Ireland, Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam.
- Also, one of the criteria, the threshold for the current account surplus was lowered to 2% from 3% of GDP.
- Indian Overseas Bank has launched ‘Bank on Wheels’ facility in 14 of its lead districts in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, besides Vijayawada.
- The mobile van will have micro ATM facility which will enable the public, especially senior citizens, conveniently get door-step banking facility.
- RBI has formed two separate six-member panels to create a more transparent framework for –
- Panel for secondary market for corporate loans – headed by Canara Bank Chairman T N Manoharan to gauge the possibility of setting up a loan transaction platform for the sale of stressed asset and creation of a loan contract registry to standardise information.
- Panel for Housing Loan Securitisation – headed by Bains and Co. advisor Harsh Vardhan, has been mandated to review the current market operations and recommend policy interventions.
- Data released by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade showed FDI equity inflows into India declined 1% for the first time in six years to $44.4 billion in 2018-19 from $44.8 billion in the previous fiscal.
- Singapore has replaced Mauritius as the top source of foreign investment with an estimated at $16.2 billion, compared with $8.1 billion from Mauritius.
- FICCI has projected India’s median GDP forecast at 7.1 per cent for FY20 and 7.2 per cent for FY21.
- IAF chief BS Dhanoa has been appointed as the new Chairman of the Chief of Staff Committee (COSC) w.e.f. May 31, 2019.
- Pema Khandu (BJP leader) sworn in as the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh for a second term by governor Dr. BD Mishra.
- Naveen Patnaik (of Biju Janata Dal) takes oath as CM of Odisha for a record 5th consecutive term.
- Scott Morrison has been appointed as the 30th Prime Minister of Australia.
- Muhammadu Buhari has been re-appointed as the President of Nigeria for the second term.
- James Marape has been appointed as the Prime Minster of Papua New Guinea succeeding of Peter O’Neill.
- YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has taken oath as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
- Admiral Karambir Singh took charge as the 24th Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS) from Adm. Sunil Lanba.
- May 28 is observed as the World Hunger Day which is an initiative by The Hunger Project that aims to raise awareness about the 821 million people living in chronic hunger worldwide.
- The theme for 2019 is #Sustainabilityis.
- Every 29th May, the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO), in collaboration with the WGO Foundation (WGOF), celebrates World Digestive Health Day.
- The theme for the 2019 is ‘Early Diagnosis and Treatment of GI Cancer’.
- International Day for Peacekeepers was observed on May 29 by UN.
- Theme for 2019: – “Protecting Civilians, Protecting Peace”
- 2019 marks 20th anniversary when for the first time the Security Council explicitly mandated a peacekeeping mission (UNAMSIL in Sierra Leone) to protect civilians.
- World No Tobacco Day is observed on May 31 each year.
- The focus of World No Tobacco Day 2019 is on tobacco and lung health.
- Maharashtra and Rajasthan have decided to ban e-cigarettes in an attempt to discourage nicotine addiction.
- Also, the Medical & Health Department of Rajasthan is awarded with World Health Organization award for its contribution in the field of tobacco control.
- ‘Global Sports Fan Awards 2019 award ceremony is to be held in Manchester, England on June 14.
- From India, Sudhir Kumar Gautam (Sachin Tendulkar Fan) and Sugumar Kumar (Virat Kohli Fan) will be receiving the award.
- ‘Chacha Cricket’ aka Abdul Jalil from Pakistan’s, Bangladesh’s fan ‘Tiger’ aka Shoyab Ali and Sri Lanka’s Gayan Senanayaka are three other global recipients of this award.
- Indian writer Annie Zaidi won the $100,000 Nine Dots Prize 2019 for her entry “Bread, Cement, Cactus”.
- It is a prestigious book prize created to award innovative thinking that addresses contemporary issues around the world.
- Professor N. Kumar, Vice-Chancellor of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, has been conferred with the ‘Lifetime Recognition Award’ by the Confederation of Horticulture Association of India for his outstanding contribution in the field of horticulture and academic leadership.
- FIFA’s imposed a lifetime ban on Marco Polo Del Nero (former head of the Brazilian football federation (CBF)) for bribery and corruption.
- India won 5 Gold medals and a silver medal and topped the tally at the ISSF Air/Pistol World Cup 2019 held in Munich, Germany.
|Apurvi Chandela||10 m air rifle||Gold|
|Saurabh Chaudhary||10 m air pistol||Gold (World Record)|
|Rahi Sarnobat||25 m pistol||Gold|
|Diyansh Singh Panwar & Anjum Moudgil||10 m Air rifle (mixed)||Gold|
|Manu Bhaker & Saurabh Chaudhary||10m air pistol (mixed)||Gold|
|Deepak Kumar & Apurvi Chandela||10 m air rifle (Mixed)||Silver|
- Binny, India’s only orangutan, has died at Nandankanan Zoological Park in Odisha.