Current Affairs for August 3 And August 4, 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- A report tilted as “Building Better Courts (Surveying the Infrastructure of India’s District Courts)” released by Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy and Tata Trust, mentions that Delhi is at the top position in terms of infrastructure with 90% score.
Kerala is the second best state in court infrastructure with 84% score while Bihar and Manipur had the poorest infrastructure.
Total 665 district courts were assessed, out of which only 39% were full-service court complex.
Parameters:- Ease of Access by public, waiting areas, hygiene, navigation, security, amenities and website.
According to National Court Management System (NCMS) committee (set up in 2012), every court should have a map and help desk.
But according to the report, only 20% district courts have guide maps and 45% have help desk.
Chandigarh District courts have been ranked 1st in terms of security, followed by Delhi and Meghalaya respectively.
2. Bureau of Indian Standards, in association with lab of Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC), will set up “Pashmina Testing Centre” in Leh, Jammu and Kashmir.
- Aim: – To set BIS standards for Pashmina and check quality of Pashmina.
- “Save Green, Stay Clean” campaign was launched in West Bengal to raise awareness about planting trees.
- Tree cover has been increased to 19% from 11% in past 8 years.
- Indian Army and Energy Efficiency Service Ltd. have signed an MoU to employ more e-cars for the use of Army personnel in New Delhi, to give a boost to the e-vehicles.
- For the first time, two TB vaccines- IMMUVAC and VPM1002 are being tested on a large scale by Indian Medical Council Research.
- It will be first done in 12,000 households in Delhi, Maharashtra, Odisha, Telangana and Karnataka states.
- Maharashtra will develop the world’s first fastest Hyperloop to connect Mumbai with Pune at a cost of $10 billion.
- Hyperloop = It is a proposed mode of passenger or freight transportation through which a pod may travel free of air resistance or friction at high speed.
- 15th India-US Defence Policy Group meeting 2019 was held in Washington, USA.
- Agenda: – To promote co-operation between defence industry and start-ups.
- Madhya Pradesh State Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance Containment (MPSAP-ARC) has been released to fight antimicrobial resistance in the state.
- MP is the 2nd state (after Kerala) to release an action plan for Containment of Antimicrobial Resistance.
- Ministry of Earth Sciences and Ministry of Agriculture have together launched a mobile app – “Meghdoot” (in vernacular language) to provide climate related guidance to farmers.
- App Developers: – India Meteorological Department (IMD) and Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) and Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
- It will be launched in 150 districts initially and will be extended to whole India later on.
- Also, IMD has developed new website to provide weather and climate information.
- 10th Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) Ministerial Meeting was held in Bangkok, Thailand.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- RBI has given permission to Bank of China to operate as a commercial bank in India and included in the Schedule- II of RBI Act, 1934.
- Jan Small Finance Bank has also been included in the Schedule II of RBI Act, 1934.
- Royal Bank of Scotland has been renamed as “NatWest Markets Plc” in the Schedule- II.
- National Bank of Australia has been excluded from Schedule II and bank list (under the Banking Regulation Act, 1949).
Schedule II of RBI Act, 1934 mentions about the commercial banks of India.
- National Aluminium Company Ltd. (NALCO), Hindustan Copper Ltd. (HCL), and Mineral Exploration Company Ltd. (MECL) have set up a joint venture – “Khanij Bidesh India Ltd. (KABIL)”.
- Aim: – To increase mineral availability in India and explore minerals outside India.
- India is the 7th largest economy (with $2.72 Trillion GDP) in the world in 2018, according to World Bank.
- In 2017, India was the 6th largest economy with $2.65 Tn GDP size.
- India is still the fastest growing nation and is expected to grow at 7% GDP growth rate in 2019-20.
Top 6 Economies of The World in 2018
- RBI fined Bank of India with Rs 1.5 crore for non-compliance of RBI’s directions in the case of Rotomac group’s frauds.
- State Bank of India’s (SBI) Shanghai branch, in china, is the first Indian Bank to get connected with China’s National Advance Payment System (CNAPS) by People’s Bank of China (central bank of China).
- It also got licence to operate in local currency in China.
- CNAPS (launched in 2008) allows PBOC to provide real-time settlement services for all payments cleared in China and in all clearing banks in offshore yuan centres.
- National Housing Bank (NHB) has invested Rs 10,000 crore recently in Housing Finance Companies (HFCs) to provide liquidity for individual housing loans.
- Aim: – To smoothen the flow of funds to the housing sector.
- Abhay Thakur has been appointed as the next permanent representative of India to Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
- ECOWAS is a regional political and economic union of 15 countries of West Africa.
- Siddhartha Mohanty has been appointed as the MD and CEO of LIC Housing Finance.
- He was earlier appointed as the Chief Operating Officer of LIC Housing Finance.
- World Breastfeeding Week 2019 has been observed between August 1-7 in 120 nations.
- Theme: – “Empower parents, Enable Breastfeeding: Now and For the Future”.
- It commemorates the Innocenti Declaration signed in 1990 by WHO, UNICEF and other organizations to protect, promote and support breastfeeding.
- NDTV Journalist Ravish Kumar has been chosen for the Ramon Magsaysay Award 2019 (Asian version of Nobel Prize) for his ethical journalism.
- This Award is named after the 3rd President of Philippines, and is given by Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation.
Other awardees of this award
Ko Swe Win
Raymundo Pujante Cayabyab
Kim Jong Ki
- Four Football players :- 3 from Kyrgyzstan – Kursanbek Sheratov, Vladimir Verevkin and Iliaz Alimov, and Abduaziz Mahkamov (from Tajikistan) have been banned for life by Asian Football Confederation.
- Reason: – Match-fixing in AFC Cup in 2017 and 2018.
- NASA’s TESS has discovered the First Super Earth named as Gj 357d outside solar system which could be habitable. It is 31 light years away from Earth.
- “Interrogating Indus inscription to unravel their mechanism of meaning conveyance” published in Palgrave Communications (a Nature group journal) states that Indus Valley inscriptions were written logographically.
- Logographically means by using word signs. The inscriptions were not written with phonograms (sounds symbols).
- The study was authored by Bahata Ansumali Mukhopadhyay.
- “Tools and Weapons: The Promise and The Peril of the Digital Age” book has been co-authored by Brad Smith (President of Microsoft) and Carol Ann Browne.