April 30, 2018
- Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation, Uma Bharti launched the GOBAR (Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources) – DHAN scheme at the National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) in Karnal, Haryana
- This scheme will be run by Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin).
- GOBAR Dhan Scheme
- Under this scheme, bio-gas plants will be set up at individual or community level and also at the level of Self Help Groups and NGOs like Gaushalas.
- Funds required to setup bio-gas plants will be provided by central and state governments in the ratio of 60:40.
- Government has set a target to setup nearly 700 bio-gas units in different states under the scheme during 2018-19.
- GOBAR-DHAN scheme has twin objectives – to make villages clean and generate energy from cattle and other waste
- PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI) and Indian Yoga Association (IYA) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to jointly promote yoga, health and spiritual tourism in the Krishna Circuit in Uttar Pradesh.
- Krishna Circuit is among the thirteen thematic circuits under Swadesh Darshan Scheme.
- Surat railway station (in Gujarat) will be the third in India to be developed as a world-class facility under Railway Ministry’s station redevelopment programme.
- India’s two world-class Railway stations — Habibganj (in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh) and Gandhinagar (in Gujarat)— will be ready by the beginning of 2019.
- Second edition of World Hindu Congress (WHC) / World Hindu Congress 2018 will be held in Chicago, US
- The theme of World Hindu Congress 2018 is “Sumantrite Suvikrante” – “think collectively, achieve valiantly”.
- For the first time, India and Pakistan will be part of a multi-nation counter-terror exercise, schedule to be held in Russia in September 2018.
- The exercise has been named ‘Peace Mission 2018’and almost all SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organizations) member countries including China will be a part of this exercise.
- There are 8 member countries in SCO – Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, China, Kazakhstan, Russia, India and Pakistan
- International Buddhist Conference 2018 was held in Lumbini, Nepal
- Theme of International Buddhist Conference 2018 – ‘Lumbini Nepal: The birthplace of Lord Buddha and the fountain of Buddhism and world peace’
- Office of United States Trade Representative (USTR)released 2018 edition of ‘Special 301 Report’
- India has once again been placed in the ‘Priority Watch List’ on account of longstanding challenges in its Intellectual Property (IP) framework and lack of sufficient measurable progress.
- Those countries where current IPR regulation has serious deficiencies and requires active monitoring are placed in Priority Watchlist under Special Report 301 by the USTR.
- India has been projected as the second fastest growing country in the world for passenger traffic based on traffic forecasts during 2017-40 by the Airports Council International (ACI).
- Vietnam – 8.5 per cent – Ist
- Iran – 3 per cent – III
- Also, the middle east has been referred as the aviation bridge.
- Saudi Aramco appointed a woman to its board for the first time, by recruiting American Lynn Laverty Elsenhans to its 11-member board.
- Kavinder Gupta took oath as the Deputy Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Intex Technologies has appointed Rajiv Bakshi as its Chief Marketing Officer (CMO).
- The board of directors of Kotak Mahindra Bank has redesignated Uday Kotak as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- On 30thApril 2018, International Jazz Day was celebrated
- Prajnesh Gunneswaran won his first singles title on the ATP Challenger circuit in the Kunming Open in Anning, China.
- Rafael Nadal won the Barcelona Open tennis title for the 11thtime in Barcelona, Spain.
- India’s CA Bhavani Devi won a silver medal in the sabre event of the Tournoi World Cup Satellite Fencing Championship in Reykjavik, Iceland.
- She won a gold at the Reykjavik tournament last year to become the first Indian win to do so in an international fencing event.
- Satellite Fencing is a group of three related combat sports – the foil, the epee and the sabre
- Australian researchers have said that, the world’s oldest known spider named “Number 16” has died at the age of 43 in Australia.
- Number 16 was a female trapdoor spider.