May 4, 2018
- Google’s philanthropic arm Google.org has announced $3 million in grants for teacher training and educational content creation in India.
- The organisation committed $1 million to TheTeacherApp to help them reach 5,00,000 teachers in two years, besides a $2-million grant and technical assistance from YouTube to the Central Square Foundation.
- India ranked 11th in the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Confidence Index 2018, released by Global consultant AT Kearney
- US topped the Index
- It tracks the impact of political, economic and regulatory changes on the FDI preferences of Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) and Chief Financial Officers (CFOs) of the country.
- India is organising a five-day cultural festival in Egypt to commemorate the 157th birth anniversary of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
- An exhibition on the paintings of Tagore titled ‘Rabindranath Tagore: Rhythm in Colours’will be held in Giza.
- In a bid to enhance ease of getting visas, Union Ministry of Home Affairs launched online “event clearance system”on May 2, 2018, aimed at granting security clearance to foreigners wanting to visit India to attend conferences, seminars or workshops.
- Indian missions abroad would issue conference visa to foreign nationals or delegates intending to attend such events
- With a view to incentivise promotion of digital payments, a proposal of a concession of 2% in GST rate on B2C supplies (for which payment is made through cheque or digital mode, subject to a ceiling of Rs. 100 per transaction) was discussed in 27th GST Council Meeting.
- It was discussed to impose a sugar cess of maximum Rs 3 on each kg sold by sugar companies, over and above the 5% GST charged on sugar.
- Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh launched ‘Go to Village’ mission throughout the state.
- Aimed at identifying the eligible and deserving beneficiaries in every corner of the state and delivering government services at their doorstep.
- Pakyong airport in Sikkim, which is scheduled to be commissioned in June 2018, will be the 100th operational airport in the country.
- Currently, Sikkim is the only state in India that does not have an airport.
- 4th Regional Conference on ‘Futuristic, Resilient and Digital Infrastructure’ concluded in Bengaluru on May 4, 2018.
9. The Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched an initiative of online professional development of 1.5 million higher education faculty using the MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course) platform SWAYAM.
- In the first phase, 75 discipline-specific National Resource Centres have been chosen to prepare online training material.
- The training materials will be uploaded and will be available through SWAYAM to all the teachers from 1st October each year.
- National Water Informatics Centre (NWIC) has been recently set up by Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation at New Delhi.
- NWIC will be a repository of nation-wide water resources data and will function as a Subordinate Office under the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- A “Water Resources Information System” (WRIS) will be developed and updated in public domain for effective integrated water resources management.
- NWIC would offer a ‘Single Window’ source of updated data on water resources and related themes
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has involved Survey of India to strengthen the Ganga rejuvenation task by using Geographic Information System (GIS) technology.
- The project involves use of Digital Elevation Model (DEM) technology for accurate data collection.
- Two projects worth 358.43 crore have been approved to develop sewerage infrastructure in Hooghly-Chinsurah and Maheshtala municipalities of West Bengal.
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID) has signed a MoU for the year 2018-19 with Ministry of Power
- Capex target for 2018-19 has been fixed at 25,000 crore.
- Cognizant has acquired Hedera Consulting, a firm specializing in business advisory and data analytics services based out of Belgium.
- Maharashtra Advance Ruling Authority announced that there will be no input tax credit for Krishi Cess
- Taxpayers will not be able to avail transitional input credit available for Krishi Kalyan Cess (KKC) under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime.
- Input tax credit means that when a manufacturer pays the tax on his output, he can deduct the tax he previously paid on the input he purchased. Here, while paying the tax on his output, he can deduct or take credit for the tax he paid while purchasing inputs.
- The first meeting of the Defence Planning Committee headed by National Security Advisor, Ajit Doval came up with the following –
- Four sub committees will be created under DPC
- First to look at Policy and Strategy
- Second to work on plans and capability development
- Third on Defence Diplomacy
- Fourth on Defence Manufacturing Ecosystem
- Four sub committees will be created under DPC
- Haryana state government would soon set up “Gaushalas” in all the prisons.
- The foundation stone for the first “Gaushala” has been laid down in the jail of State in Karnal
- The SC/ST Prevention of Atrocities Amendment Act (2015) – This act protects the SCs and STs against discrimination and atrocities.
- Popularly known as POA, the SC/ST Act or Atrocities Act
- It lists 22 offences relating to various patterns or behaviours inflicting criminal offences and breaking the self-respect and esteem of the SC/ST Community ( Like denial of economic, democratic and social rights, discrimination or exploitation)
- Prime objective is to deliver justice to marginalised
- Recently, Supreme court issued few guidelines that would protect public servants and private individuals from arbitrary and immediate arrest under the Act on March 20.
- Earlier there were no provisions for anticipatory bail. But the same has been suggested by Supreme Court in the verdict made on March 20.
- CPEC – The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor
- In April, 2015, China signed a US $ 46 billion investment deal with Pakistan.
- It will cover one of the world’s largest overseas projects which will connect Kashgar’s Xinjiang in China with Balochistan’s Gwadar in Pakistan
- It is a flagship project under Belt and Road Initiative
- The Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) is a development strategy proposed by the Chinese government that focuses on connectivity and cooperation between Eurasian countries, primarily the People’s Republic of China (PRC), the land-based Silk Road Economic Belt (SREB) and the ocean-going Maritime Silk Road (MSR)
- India registered its protest with the objective that CPEC passed through PoK (Pakistan occupied Kashmir). Also, it violates India’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
- China has exempted import tariffs for 28 drugs including all cancer drugs from May 1
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Kotak Securities Limited, the stock broking and distribution arm of the Kotak Mahindra Group has launched ‘Free Intraday Trading’,
- That allows financial market traders to do intra-day trading without paying any brokerage per trade.
- Intraday trading refers to the activity of buying and selling a security (equity, currency, commodity) on the same day.
- Jagdish Mukhiwas sworn in as the acting governor of Manipur.
- Justice Ajay Kumar Mittal has been appointed as the acting chief justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- Indian-American Deepa Ambekar has been appointed as interim judge to the civil court of New York City, United States.
- The Madras Institute of Technology (MIT) has appointed Ajith Kumar as its Helicopter Test Pilot and UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) System Adviser
- International Fire Fighter’s Day – May 4
- Swedish Academy said that, the Nobel Prize in literature will not be awarded this year due to sex-abuse allegations and other issues.
- According to the Wimbledon officials, the 2018 men’s and women’s singles champions will receive £2.25 million, an increase of £50,000 on last year
- Justin Langer has been appointed as the coach of Australian Cricket Team
- On 3rd May 2018, China launched a new communication satellite named “APSTAR-6C” at the Xichang Satellite Launch Center, China.
- APSTAR-6C was sent into orbit by the Long March-3B carrier rocket
- Freedom fighter and writer Keyur Bhushan died
- A new snake Bhupathy’s shieldtail has been observed in the Anaikatty Hills of Tamil Nadu
- It has been named Uropeltis bhupathyi