May 6, 2018
- A ‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’ was held at Huda Convention Centre, Sector-12, Faridabad, Haryana.
- Cochlear Implant is an advanced technology to help children with severe deafness in both ears.
- Through “Sabka Sath Sabka Vikas”, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment along with Indian Red Cross Society and Sarvodaya Hospital & Research Centre, the facility is being provided to poor people also.
- Aajeevika and Kaushal Vikas Melas were held in various parts of India as part of Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) organized a Kaushal and Rojgar Mela at New Women’s College in Khordha, Bhubaneswar
- Gram Swaraj Abhiyan – The campaign is undertaken under the name of “Sabka Sath, Sabka Gaon, Sabka Vikas”.
- The objective of the campaign is to promote social harmony, spread awareness about pro-poor initiatives of government, reach out to poor households to enrol them as also to obtain their feedback on various welfare programmes.
- With the help of World Bank’s assist NITI Aayog confirmed that there was no cheating of funds occurred in the Centre’s ambitious Ayushman Bharat National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM),expertise on fraud detection and prevention.
- Indu Bhushan is the CEO of AB-NHPM
- India dropped down two places from 136 in 2017 to 138 in 2018 as per the World Press Freedom Index published by Reporters Without Borders.
- The report measures the level of media freedom in 180 countries.
- Justice C.K Prasad, Press Council of India Chairman mentioned RWB’s annual report has “lack of clarity” on the inputs that weighed in the rankings which were based on “opinion or perception”.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Secretary-General Rashid Kutbiddinovitch Alimov arrived in New Delhi to hold talks with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and other Union ministers
- India became a full member of SCO in June 2017, at an international summit held in Astana, Kazakhstan
- India and Sri Lanka agreed on cooperation on exchange of information and other aspects to tackle smuggling of drugs in India and Sri Lanka.
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) notified the protocol amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Kuwait.
- Vladimir Putinwas sworn-in as the President of Russia for the fourth time, renewing another six-year term in office.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Reserve Bank of India has directed banks authorised to deal in foreign exchange (Authorised Dealer-I Banks) to share data with the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- This requires a banking company to furnish, electronically, information relating to foreign exchange transactions made or received by any person to the receiving authority (DRI).
- DRI is the top intelligence and investigating agency for issues related to violation of the Customs Act.
- As per new rules, in case of inward remittances, the agency can seek information relating to a remittee’s name, address, permanent account number (PAN), Goods and Service Tax Identification Number (GSTIN), Aadhaar number, bank account number and Indian Financial System Code (IFSC), remitter’s details like name, address, and SWIFT-BIC (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication – Bank Identifier Code).
- In the case of outward remittances, the agency can seek information relating to a remitter’s name, address, PAN, GSTIN, Aadhaar number, bank account number and IFSC and the remittee’s details like name, address, and SWIFT-BIC.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced that, it will buy Rs 10,000 crore of government bonds through open market operation (OMO), after failing to sell all the debt it had offered to bidders.
- Open market operations are conducted by the RBI by way of sale or purchase of government securities (g-secs) to adjust money supply conditions.
- The central bank sells g-secs to suck out liquidity from the system and buys back g-secs to infuse liquidity into the system.
- These operations are often conducted on a day-to-day basis in a manner that balances inflation while helping banks continue to lend.
- On 6th May 2018, International No Diet Day (INDD) was observed all over the world
- International No Diet Day (INDD) is a celebration of body acceptance, fat acceptance and body shape diversity.
- Its symbol is a light blue ribbon
- Saina Nehwal has entered into the top 10 in women’s ranking, according to the latest rankings released by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) in New Delhi on 3rd May 2018.
- Shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has reached the third spot
- PV Sindhu remains at World No 3
- India finished on top in the 7-nation 3rd South Asian Junior Athletics Championships in Colombo, Sri Lanka on the final day.
- India ended with 20 gold, 22 silver and 8 bronze medals (Total 50 Medals).
- Veteran Marathi singer Arun Date, known for his popular song “Shukratara”, has died
- He was the first recipient of the state government’s ‘Gajananrav Vatave Puraskar’.
- He was very famous for non-film ‘bhavgeet’ (lyrical poetry) songs