Current Affairs for 6 May 2019
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- According to the Sample Registration System’s (SRS) special bulletin 2018 on ‘Maternal Mortality in India 2014-16’, MMR across India was 130 per 1,00,000 live births.
- MMR is the proportion of maternal deaths per 1,00,000 live births reported under the SRS.
- Kerala recorded the lowest MMR at 46 whereas Assam recorded the highest MMR at 237.
- 5 states with Lowest MMR
MATERNAL MORTALITY RATIO (MMR)
- India is likely to build a state-of-the-art ‘copycat supercarrier’ INS Vishal (of 65,000 tons capacity) for Britain by 2022 along the lines of HMS Queen Elizabeth.
- Department of Personnel and Training has set up a 7-member high-level expert committee headed by Former Finance Secretary Ratan P. Watal to examine various aspects of the recommendation of 7th Central Pay Commission (CPC) on Non-Functional Upgradation (NFU).
- Non-Functional Financial Upgradation (NFFU/NFU) is a raise in salary and perks that are given to the personnel when they cannot be promoted because of lack of vacancies.
- The Ministry of Finance has imposed an anti-dumping duty of $1,633.17 per tonne on the import of saccharine from Indonesia, on the recommendation of Commerce Ministry.
- Saccharine is a compound commonly used in sugar-substitute sweeteners.
- India had imported $4.36 million worth of saccharine from Indonesia in 2017-18 (43% of the total imports of the saccharine).
- IIT-Kanpur and e-Governance Services India Limited have partnered to upscale Unnat Bharat Abhiyan.
- IIT-Kanpur has integrated 15 higher education institutes of Uttar Pradesh in this programme.
Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
Ministry of Human Resource Development
To accelerate sustainable growth in rural India by integrating higher education institutions.
- Delhi needs 43 more judges as per the analysis under Delhi High Court’s ‘Zero Pendency Courts Projects’ in addition to the existing 143 Judges to resolve the pending cases within 1 year.
- Zero Pendency Courts Project started in 2017 by Delhi High court aims to study the actual, real-time ‘flow of cases’ from the date of institution till final disposal and to suggest methodology for quick resolution of cases.
- A survey conducted by Indigenous Biodiversity Foundation (IBF), (a non-profit organization) found over 300 nests of the endangered species- Grizzled giant squirrels in the Pakkamalai Reserve Forests near Gingee in Tamil Nadu.
- Only four species of giant squirrels are found in the world out of which 3 exist in India in – Chinnar Wildlife sanctuary in Kerala, Anamalai Tiger Reserve and Grizzled Squirrel Wildlife Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu.
- Malayan giant squirrel and Indian giant squirrel are the two other species.
- G7 countries’ Environment Ministers held a meeting in France to discuss methods to “tackle degradation of coral reefs, plastic pollution and deforestation” and try to form alliances between nations to act on them.
- An action plan worth $5 Billion has been launched by Asian Development Bank (ADB) for ‘Healthy Oceans and Sustainable Blue Economies’ (for a period of 2019-2024) for the Asia and Pacific region at its 52nd annual meeting.
- Japanese aerospace startup Interstellar Technology has launched Japan’s first privately built rocket “MOMO-3” into outer space.
- Global Assessment report by the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform On Biodiversity And Ecosystem Services (IPBES) states that 1 million species (out of 8 million estimated) in the world are at a risk of extinction.
- Major Reasons for Extinction:- changes in land and sea use; direct exploitation of organisms; climate change; pollution and invasive alien species.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- MakeMyTrip has acquired a majority stake in Mumbai-based corporate travel management startup Quest2Travel.
- Reason: – For extension of MakeMyTrip’s service offerings to large corporates for their travel requirements.
- Serbia’s Dragan Mihailovic has been appointed as the head coach of India’s Volleyball team for a period of 5 months, to guide team for Asian Championship 2019.
- International Midwife Day is observed on May 5 by World Health Organization.
- Theme for 2019:- ‘Midwives: Defenders of Women’s Rights’.
- Music artist Madonna was awarded with Advocate for Change Award at the 30th annual GLAAD Media Awards were held in New York.
- GLAAD Media Awards is conferred upon media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community and the issues that affect their lives.
- Asian Individual Squash Championship 2019 held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- India won both the Men’s and Women’s Individual Title.
- Men’s Individual Title – Sourav Ghosal
- Women’s Individual Title – Joshna Chinappa
- Rudrankksh Patil won a silver medal in men’s air rifle in the Grand Prix of Liberation international shooting competition held in Plzen, Czech Republic.
25m Centre Fire Pistol
Gagan Narang and Shriyanka Sadangi
Mixed Air Rifle
Esha Singh and Anmol Jain
10m air pistol mixed team
- Footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has launched a comic Striker Force 7 Series where he depicted himself as hero.
- Theppakadu Elephant Camp- a tourist attraction- is located inside the Mudumalai Wildlife Reception Centre, Mudumalai National Park, Tamil Nadu.