May 7, 2018
- An important peptide that can be used to create a new preventive vaccine against leptospirosis has been found out by researchers from the Gujarat Biotechnology Research Centre, Gandhinagar.
- Leptospirosis is a tropical infectious disease. At present there is no preventive vaccine for Leptospirosis.
- Leptospira interrogans is the bacteria responsible for leptospirosis
- Government of India signed a loan deal worth $200 million with the World Bank for the National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan).
- This loan will help India to reach its goal of reducing stunting in children of the age 0-6 years from 38.4% to 25% by 2022.
- POSHAN (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment) Abhiyaan
- The Abhiyaan targets to reduce stunting, under-nutrition, anaemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and reduce low birth weight
- Indian Space Research Organization has developed an atomic clock to be used in navigation satellites to measure clear-cut location data.
- The desi atomic clock is being developed by the Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad
- Currently, ISRO imports atomic clocks from European aerospace manufacturer Astriumfor navigation satellites.
- India is going to host 15th Asia Media Summit (AMS-2018) in New Delhi from May 10-12, 2018.
- The summit is being organised by Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) in collaboration with its partners and international organisations.
- The theme of the annual summit is “Telling our Stories- Asia and More”.
- Israel announced its withdrawal from the contest for a non-permanent seat at the UN Security Council (UNSC) for the 2019-2020 term.
- Israel was competing against Germany and Belgium.
- Nokia has acquired SpaceTime Insight, a California-based startup, to expand its Internet of Things (IoT) portfolio and IoT analytics capabilities.
- Rob Schilling, who had been CEO of SpaceTime, will become the head of Nokia’s IoT unit.
- Border Roads Organisation (BRO) will celebrate its Raising Day on May 7every year
- BRO’s ideology ‘Shramena Sarvam Sadhyam’ has been implemented in friendly neighbouring countries through different project.
- Fiji’s Indian-origin former Prime Minister Mahendra Chaudhry has been selected for the V K Krishna Menon Award for his contribution to the Indian diaspora.
- He became Fiji’s first Indo-Fijian Prime Minister on 19 May 1999
- Olympic medalist Gagan Narang and Pooja Ghatkar bagged the silver medal in the mixed event at Grand Prix of Liberation international shooting competition held in Pilsen, Czech Republic.
- Shri Nivetha and Amanpreet Singh claimed the mixed air pistol silver.
- Scientists have discovered a mineral named Moganite, in a lunar meteorite that points to abundant hidden reserves of water ice under the surface of the Moon, which can be used for future human exploration.
- Researchers from Tohoku University in Japan discovered the mineral
- Moganite is a crystal of silicon dioxide
- Researchers have said that, the dense vegetation in the Western Ghats determines the amount of rainfall that Tamil Nadu gets during the summer monsoon.
- It contributes to 40% of moisture to the southwest monsoon rainfall in Tamil Nadu in the normal monsoon years