Current Affairs for 8 March, 9 March and 10 March 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- According to the Monster Salary Index (MSI), Men earn 19% more than women in India on an average.
- The Technology sector is the worst offender, with men earning 26% higher than women.
- It is followed by healthcare and caring services with 21% higher salaries for men.
- The survey was conducted by job portal Monster among 3,000 working women and men.
|TOP DISCRIMINATORY PERCEPTIONS|
- A 5-member committee has been set up under the Chairmanship of Secretary Legal Affairs,
DrAlok Srivastava, to examine issues related to framing of a proper and structured scheme for providing of insurance cover to the advocates and to suggest modalities for the implementation.
- As per the Supreme court
judgement, teachers are entitled to claim gratuity under the Payment of Gratuity Act.
- The benefits of the Payment of Gratuity Act was also extended to the teachers from 03.04.1997.
- India inked $3 billion
defencedeal with Russia for the lease of a nuclear-powered attack submarine – Akula-1 Class submarine.
- The nuclear submarine that is being called INS Chakra III is likely to be ready by 2025 after refurbishment.
- PM Narendra Modi unveiled the new series of Visually Impaired friendly coins of in the denominations of Re 1, Rs 2, Rs 5, Rs 10 and Rs 20.
- With this, India got the first Rs 20 denomination coin which is shaped in the form of a 12-edged polygon with a design of grains to denote farm dominance of the nation.
- The coins are designed by the National Institute of Design.
- As per
CoinageAct, 1906, the Government of India has the sole right to design and mint coins.
- Coins are minted at the four India Government Mints at Mumbai, Alipore (Kolkata), Saifabad (Hyderabad), Cherlapally (Hyderabad) and Noida (UP).
- The coins are issued for circulation only through the Reserve Bank in terms of the RBI Act.
- Maharashtra government has launched a special scheme ‘Atal Aahar Yojna’ for construction workers to provide good quality food at a highly
subsidisedrate at a nominal cost of Rs.5 only.
- Marayoor jaggery from Idukki, Kerala gets
GeographicalIndication (GI) tag.
- The India Cooling Action Plan was released by the Union Minister of Environment, Forests and Climate Change.
- It is aimed at reducing emissions and providing thermal comfort to citizens.
- The Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs launched the e-Dharti app and e-Dharti GeoPortal to help the public in getting the necessary information on fingertips and the government to effectively manage its properties.
The e-Dharti app will have all the three modules- Conversion, Substitution and Mutation related to properties online.
- The portal enables the lessee of the property to see the basic details of property along with the map showing its location.
- Uttarakhand has launched the Mukhyamantri Anchal Amrit Yojana to provide milk at the Anganwadi Centres.
- They will provide 100
mlmilk twice a week for 5 lakh children at 20,000 Anganwadi Centres in the state.
- They will provide 100
- The third bilateral joint
defenceexercise between India and Oman – Al Nagah III will be held at Oman.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- United Bank of India signed a bancassurance deal with HDFC Life.
- This is the third PSU bank tie–up this year for HDFC Life.
- The Organization for Economic Co-Operation & Development (OECD) cut forecasts again for the global economy in 2019 and 2020.
- For 2019 – To 3.3% from 3.5%
- For 2020 – To 3.4% from 3.5%
- The Reserve Bank of India eased business guidelines for white label ATMs by allowing companies that manage these machines to source cash (above a threshold of 1 lakh pieces) directly from the central bank.
- WHITE Label ATM – Provided by NBFC (owned and operated by non-banking entities while the cash is provided by the sponsor bank)
- GREEN Label ATM – Provided for Agricultural Transaction
- ORANGE Label ATM – Provided for Share Transactions
- YELLOW Label ATM – provided for E-commerce
- PINK label ATM – women banking
- BROWN label ATM – where hardware and the lease of the ATM machine
isowned by a service provider–but cash management and connectivity to banking networks is provided by a sponsor bank.
- Soumya Swaminathan has been appointed as the Chief Scientist of the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has appointed Padma Lakshmi as its goodwill ambassador.
- The International Women’s Day was observed on 8th March 2019.
Themefor 2019 — Think equal, build smart, innovate for change.
- Nari Shakti Awards were presented by President Ram Nath Kovind, the highest civilian
honourfor women in India.
- The Biju Patnaik International Airport (BPIA) in Bhubaneswar, Odisha won the Airport Service Quality (ASQ) award 2018.
- Awarded for being the best airport in size and region (2-5 million passengers in Asia-Pacific).
- Journalist Priyanka Dubey has been named for the Chameli Devi Jain Award for an Outstanding Woman Journalist for the year 2018.
- Former Governor of RBI, Raghuram Rajan has been chosen for the ‘Yashwantrao Chavan National Award 2018’ for his contribution to economic development.
- Yashwantrao Chavan was the first Chief Minister of State of Maharashtra.
- 16-year-old Iniyan Panneerselvam from Tamil Nadu won the Noisiel Open in France and became the 61st Grandmaster for India.
- Kane Tanaka, a 116-year-old Japanese woman born on January 2, 1903, was
honouredas the World’s Oldest Living person by Guinness World Records.
- The Dictionary of Martyrs of India’s Freedom Struggle (1857-1947) was released by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.