Current Affairs for 8 May 2019
BANKING AND ECONOMY
CURRENT AFFAIRS VIDEO
- Cyclone Fani destructed Balukhand Wildlife Sanctuary, Chandaka Wildlife Sanctuary, Nandankanan Zoological Park in Odisha.
- Floating restaurant Marina (the first of its kind boat on Tehri Lake) is half-submerged in Tehri Lake, Uttarakhand.
- Tehri Dam on Bhagirathi river is highest and tallest dam in India.
- According to a World Health Organization (WHO) report, Global Status Report on Road Safety released during the on-going UN–Global Road Safety Week (6-12 May) 35 million deaths occur annually killing people aged between 5-29 years.
- In India, road crashes kill close to 1,50,000 people each year.
- The 3 students’ team of Manav Rachna Institute of Research and Studies developed “Caeli” which emerged second in the Microsoft Imagine Cup 2019 following US team
- “Caeli” (which means air in Latin) – a smart automated anti-pollution and drug delivery mask specifically designed for asthmatic and chronic respiratory patients.
- Arctic Council re-elected India as an observer to intergovernmental forum in its 11th Arctic Council ministerial meeting in Finland.
- The Arctic Councilis eight nation council which explores the Arctic region.
- The council has Canada, Norway, Denmark, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Iceland and the USA as its members.
- Headquarters of Arctic Council: Tromso, in Norway.
- Fall armyworms (FAW)- Spodoptera Frugiperda– attacks maize the most.
- Mizoram and Adilabad, Telangana are the areas affected by FAW.
- Maize is the 3rd major crop of India.
- Four major organisations — United States Agency for International Development (USAID), International Crops Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRSAT), International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre (CIMMYT) and Consultative Group on International Agriculture Research (CGIAR) — have joined hands to prepare strategy to address the issue.
- According to WHO’s monthly report on measles, measles cases increased by 300% globally in the first three months of 2019, compared to the same period in 2018.
- In 2017, 1,10, 000 people globally died because of measles, mostly among children under the age of five.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- Tata Motors and TVS Auto Assist will roll out first of its kind industry service of breakdown assistance for women drivers – ‘Women Assist Program’ from June 1.
- The urgent service would be provided to woman driver of Tata Motors passenger vehicles between 8 pm to 5 am, on all days.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) and Piramal Enterprises have agreed to set up India’s first renewable energy-focused Infrastructure Investment Trust (InvIT) with an initial corpus of $600 million.
- Piramal will hold 15% stake (with USD 90 million) and CPPIB will hold 60% stake (with USD 360 million) as of 7th May.
- Reserve Bank of India has increased the housing loan limits for Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) and Small Finance Banks (SFBs) for individuals to become eligibile under priority sector lending.
- The limit for RRBs and SFBs has been raised to ₹35 lakh in metropolitan centres (with population of 10 lakh and above) and ₹25 lakh in other centres, provided that the dwelling per unit cost should not exceed ₹45 lakh and ₹30 lakh
- The current loan limit for RRB is Rs 20 lakh against the dwelling unit cost of Rs 25 lakh and for SFB is Rs 28 lakh in metropolitan cities and Rs 20 lakh in other centres.
- ‘India Inbound Tourism: Unlocking the Opportunities’ report by FICCI and Yes Bank states that India’s tourism sector would grow at 6.7% p.a. to reach Rs 35 lakh crore with 9.6% contribution to the GDP by 2029.
- Microsoft has launched its own fully-managed Azure Blockchain Service which will allow businesses to create their own application on this cloud-based platform.
- Microsoft and JP Morgon have partnered to run Quorum (an enterprise-focused version of open-sourced platform Ethereum).
- RBI’s foreign exchange reserves have increased by USD 4.368 billion to USD 418.515 billion due to the second dollar-rupee swap auction, as per RBI’s data on April 26.
- Inspired by gains in the currency swap, RBI is also planning to conduct another dollar swap after elections.
- A feature film on the life and works of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman will be directed by Shyam Benegal and co-produced by India’s Prasar Bharati and Bangladesh.
- Mujibur Rahman is the founding father of Bangladesh.
1. World Athletics Day was observed on May 7 by International Amateur Athletic Federation.
2. World Asthma Day was observed on May 7 by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA).
- Theme for 2019:- “STOP for Asthma”.
- Asthma can be controlled but cannot be cured.
- Reuters Journalists Kyaw Soe Oo and Wa Lone (Myanmar) shared the UNESCO / Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2019.
- UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize is conferred on World Press Freedom Day on May 3rd.
- Golfer Tiger Woods was awarded with USA’s highest honour- Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Donald Trump.
- Team South India has won the Street Children’s Cricket World Cup held in United Kingdom.
- Street Children’s Cricket World Cup 2019 is the first of its kind cricket cup for street children organized by Street Child United in the UK.
- Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) has added two new categories of awards- Women Goalkeeper of the Year and Women Team of the Year– to promote gender equality.
- NASA’s First Planetary Defense Technology– Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) – will collidewith Asteroid in 2022.
- The Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) is a planetary defence mission that will probe the impact of colliding satellite with asteroid on Earth.