(Atmosphere & Climate Research-Modelling Observing Systems & Services) Scheme
(Ministry of Earth Science)
- ACROSS SCHEME:- Atmosphere & Climate Research-Modelling Observing Systems & Services (ACROSS) is an umbrella scheme which have nine sub-schemes under it.
- It is implemented under the Ministry of Earth Science.
- It was approved in 2018 for continuation of the nine sub-schemes during 2017-20.
- Estimated cost of the scheme is Rs. 1450 crore.
- Each sub scheme addresses different aspects of weather and climate services, which includes warnings for cyclone, storm surges, heat waves, thunderstorms etc.
The schemes will be implemented in an integrated manner by 4 institutes –
- India Meteorological Department (IMD),
- Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM),
- National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), and
- Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Service (INCOIS)
- The scheme aims at improving skill of weather and climate forecast through sustained observations, intensive Research & Development.
- Its objective is to provide a reliable weather and climate forecast for betterment of society.
- The scheme will provide improved weather, climate and ocean forecast and services, thereby various services get benefitted like:
- Public weather service
- disaster management
- Agro-meteorological Services
- Aviation services
- Environmental monitoring services
- Hydro-meteorological services
- climate services
- power generation
- water management
- Sports & adventure etc.