16th February – 17th February, 2019
- The 13th edition of PETROTECH-2019 was held at India Expo Mart in Greater Noida, New Delhi.
- It was organised by Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC) in association with Federation of Indian Petroleum Industries under the aegis of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- The theme of PROTECH-2019 was “Shaping the New Energy World through Innovation & Collaboration”.
- India’s first agromet forecast centre- North Karnataka Agromet Forecasting and Research Centre (NKAFC) was launched at University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) in Dharwad, Karnataka.
- The main objective of the centre is to give accurate reports on weather which would enable the farmers to protect the crops and get good yield.
- National Central Cooling Company PJSC (Tabreed) entered into a 30-year concession with Andhra Pradesh Capital Region Development Authority (APCRDA) to build India’s first district cooling system in Amaravati, Hyderabad.
- The agreement is for a contracted cooling capacity of 20,000 Refrigeration Tons (RTs)
- The district cooling system will help save 40% of the energy currently being used and reduce CO2 emissions.
- Asia’s largest Early Childhood conference – Early Ed Asia 2019 was held in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- The motto of the event was ‘Our Children. Our Future’.
- It was a two-day event on the topic Early Childhood.
- India and the European Unionhave made a decision to mutually invest up to 40 Million Euros (Rs.323 Crore) on 7 Research and Innovation projects to tackle and handle immediate water challenges in the country.
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) launched a new portal Least Available Depth Information System (LADIS).
- Designed to: facilitate the day to day operations of inland vessels plying on National Waterways
- Ensure that: real-time data on least available depths is disseminated for ship/barge and cargo owners
- Enhance: credibility and efficiency of information sharing
- 5th International Dam Safety Conference 2019 was held in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha.
- The measures to be taken for Structural safety and operational efficiency of decade old dams were discussed.
- India has withdrawn ‘Most Favoured Nation’ or MFN to Pakistan just a day after the terror attach in Pulwama, Jammu & Kashmr in which 40 Central Reserve Police Force (CPRF) personal lost their lives.
- The Most Favoured Nation clause is the first clause in the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) by the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
- This clause requires countries to provide any concessions or privilege granted to one nation, to all other World Trade Organisation (WTO) member countries.
- The Swachh Shakti 2019, a convention of Women Sarpanches was held at Kurukshetra in Haryana.
- Swachh Shakti is a national event which aims to bring in to focus the leadership role played by rural women in Swachh Bharat Mission.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- JP Morgan is rolling out the first US bank-backed cryptocurrency to transform payments business.
- The currency is designed to be decentralized so that no one has control over transactions being sent over the network.
- A cryptocurrency is a digital asset designed to work as a medium of exchange that uses strong cryptography to secure financial transactions.
- Reserve Bank of India lifted the limit on Corporate bonds.
- They withdrew 20% limit on investment by Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) in corporate bonds of an entity.
- World Employment and Social Outlook Trends 2019 report was released by the International Labour Organization.
- As per the report, unemployment rates will fall to 4.9% in 2019 and remains steady in 2020.
- Dr. B. P. Sharma has been re-appointed as the new Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of the state-run helicopter manufacturer Power Hans.
- Chandramouli Ramanathan has been appointed as Controller, Assistant Secretary-General for Programme Planning, Budget and Finance in the management strategy, policy and compliance department.
- Swachhata Excellence Awards 2019 was awarded:
- Swachhata Excellence Awards 2019 was instituted by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs to recognise local bodies encouraging self-help groups to achieve the objectives of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal from Chandigarh, became the First Indian Woman Flight Engineer of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- Eva de Goede from Netherlands and Arthur van Doren of Belgium were titled the International Hockey Federation’s Players of the Year for 2018 in FIH Hockey Stars Awards 2018.