(Ministry of Commerce and Industry)
Key features of the programme
Key Features of the programme
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) is to facilitate on line procurement of common use Goods & Services required by various Government Departments / Organizations / PSUs.
- GeM is dynamic, self-sustaining and user friendly portal for making procurement by Government officers.
- It was launched by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry in August 2016.
- The Ministry has launched third version of the Government e-Marketplace (GeM 3.0)
- The purchases through GeM by Government users have been authorized and made mandatory by Ministry of Finance by adding a new Rule No. 149 in the General Financial Rules, 2017.
GeM 3.0 will offer:
- standardised and enriched catalogue management
- powerful search engine
- real time price comparison
- template-based Bid and RA creation
- demand aggregation
- e-EMD, e-PBG, user rating, advanced MIS and analytics and more.
- It aims to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement.
- It is safe and secure platform.
- It has potential to support Make in India.
- Use of this platforms resulted in savings to the Government of India as it is cheaper in comparison to the tender, Rate Contract and direct purchase rates.