Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA)
- To enhance livelihood security in rural areas by providing at least 100 days of guaranteed demand based wage employment in a financial year to every household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work.
- Beneficiaries are willing rural population, unskilled manual labourers and seasonally unemployed.
- A 60:40 wage and material ratio has to be maintained.
- No contractors and machinery is allowed.
- Wages are linked to Consumer Price Index (Agriculture labour).
- The central government bears the 100 percent wage cost of unskilled manual labour and 75 percent of the material cost including the wages of skilled and semi-skilled workers.
- If work is not provided within 15 days of applying, applicants are entitled to an
- MGNREGA is to be implemented mainly by gram panchayats.
- At least one-third beneficiaries shall be women.
- Social audit has to be done by the gram sabha atleast once in every 6 months.
- Focuses on creation of durable assets as per local needs.