National Rurban Mission (NRuM)
- NRuM is also called as Shyama Prasad Mukharjee Rurban mission and aimed at strengthening rural areas by provisioning of economic, social and physical infrastructure facilities
- The objective is to stimulate local economic development, enhance basic services, and create well planned Rurban clusters i.e Smart Villages.
- Smart village is an area which possesses the economic characteristics and lifestyles of an urban area while retaining its essential rural area features.
- It follows cluster based approach and the State Governments would identify ‘geographically contiguous Gram Panchayats with a population of about 25000 to 50000 in plain and coastal areas and a population of 5000 to 15000 in desert, hilly or tribal areas.
- These clusters would be developed by provisioning of economic activities, developing skills & local entrepreneurship and providing infrastructure amenities.
- It provides Skill development training, Digital literacy, mobile health unit, electronic delivery of citizen centric services, e-gram connectivity, public transport, inter village road connectivity etc.
- The funding will be through various schemes of the government through public –private partnerships.
- In addition to it, there will be critical gap funding of 30% of project cost as central Government share for clusters.