A new education policy is in the process of being finalized by the ministry of human resource development (MHRD). The new policy is aimed at making education both emancipator and enabler while encouraging innovation over rote learning. District- and block-level consultation and public suggestions are also sought to make the new education policy more effective and relevant. The MHRD’s inclusive and participatory approach in formulating this policy is worth appreciating. Hopefully, it will lead to positive outcomes, important for every citizen of this knowledge economy.
Gross enrolment was the focus area in earlier schemes, i.e. Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, Right to Education, National Literacy Mission and so on. However, poor quality of education is a burning issue at present—as reflected in several national-level surveys, third-party assessments, and at the employment stage. To address this challenge, we need to study various aspects of the Indian education system at the grass-roots level, i.e. quality of trainers, curricula upgradation, use of e-learning, assessment pedagogies, institutional accreditation, focus on extracurricular activities, common syllabi, foreign universities Bill, not-for profit model and so on.
- Which among the following words is similar to emancipate?
- None of the Above
- Which of the following is true about the given passage?
- Ministry of education is nodal agency to implement all education policies
- Formulating an education policy is a top down approach
- Focus area of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan was Gross enrolment
- E-learning is still a distant dream for a country like India
- All of the above
- Which of the following is a measure suggested by author to improve quality of education?
- Improve quality of trainers
- Curricula upgradation
- Use of e-learning
- Focus on extracurricular activities
- All of the above
4. When the author says, “to address this challenge, we need to study various aspects of the Indian education system..” What is the CHALLENGE that he is referring to here?
- Expenditure in the education sector
- Quality of Education
- Lack of schemes
- Reforms in ministry of human resource development (MHRD)
- Accountability and control issue in the field of education
5. Which of the following is correct with respect to the first part of the passage?
- Author is critical of the new education policy
- Author says that new education policy will not be sufficient to better education system
- Author is hopeful with the prospects of new education policy
- Author is being sarcastic while praising the new education policy
- Author is just promoting the propaganda of government
Answers and analysis
Correct Answer:D : Liberate
Direct question. No need to read the passage unless you don’t know the exact meaning of the word ‘emancipate.’ The word is given in the passage as ‘emancipator.’ In case you don’t know its meaning, spot the word in the passage, read it in the context. In the third line, you would be able to find it, see it is being clubbed with another positive word ‘enabler’ so its meaning has to be something close to ‘enabler’ itself. Of the given choices, Confine and Contract can be easily eliminated. At the same time, the word does not talk about making anything big or enhance, hence option B is eliminated as well.
Correct Answer:C: Focus area of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan was Gross enrolment
Another reference based question. A quick reading of the passage will enable you to identify all the facts in the passage. Spot the key words which look like facts. Option A has Ministry of Education being mentioned, but nowhere does the passage talk of such Ministry. Option B calls the approach being top down, on the other hand passage talks about involvement of Districts in formulating the new policy, hence this statement is wrong. Option C is clearly mentioned in the passage along with some other schemes. Option D talks about e learning being a far fetched dream for India, passage does talk about e learning, but not in this context.
Correct Answer:E: All of the above
A very easy question. A quick reading of the passage would enable you to find out all the options which are mentioned in the passage.
Correct Answer:B: Lack of schemes
This is another reference based question. Spot the given phrase in the passage, read two-three lines before it and two-three lines after it. You would very easily figure out that author is talking about Quality of Education. Other options are false statements not even touched by the author.
Correct Answer:C : Author is hopeful with the prospects of new education policy
This is an inference based question. You must read the passage to answer this question. While doing so, you will figure out that author is talking about a new education policy. He has mentioned how this policy can make education ‘emancipator and enabler.’ It also appreciated that grass root involvement is also an important part of this policy. In the last line of this para, author says, “Hopefully, it will lead to positive outcomes, important for every citizen of this knowledge economy.” With this statement of his, we can come to the conclusion that author is ‘hopeful’ of its positive outcomes.