Pradhan Mantri Ujjawala Yojana (PMUY)
- This Scheme aims to provide free LPG connections to Women from BPL Households by providing financial support of Rs 1600 for each new LPG connection.
- The identification of eligible BPL families will be made in consultation with the State
- Governments and the Union Territories based on the socio-economic and caste census data.
- Providing LPG connections to BPL households will ensure universal coverage of cooking gas in the country which will empower women and protect their health.
- It aims to address serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuels.
- Non-communicable diseases such as heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer and Indoor air pollution causing acute respiratory illnesses in young children is addressed through this scheme.
- It will also provide employment for rural youth in the supply chain of cooking gas.