(Ministry of Finance)
Key features of the Campaign
Key Points of the Scheme
- The project Shaksham is for creation of a New Indirect Tax Network (System Integration) of the Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) for the new GST regime.
- It was approved in September 2016.
- The total cost of the project is estimated to be Rs 2256 crore, which will be incurred over a period of seven years.
- to ensure the readiness of CBEC’s IT systems by April, 1, 2017, when GST is to be introduced as at present, there are about 36 lakh taxpayers, importers, exporters and dealers under various indirect tax laws administered by CBEC. The number was likely to go up to over 65 lakh after the introduction of GST.
- This IT Infrastructure project will enable not just the implementation of Goods and Services Tax (GST) but also support all existing services in Customs, Central Excise and Service Tax.
The project will help in-
- Implementation of Goods and Services Tax (GST),
- Extension of the Indian Customs Single Window Interface for Facilitating Trade (SWIFT) and
- Other taxpayer-friendly initiatives under Digital India and Ease of Doing Business of Central Board of Excise and Customs.