Safeguarding the Intangible Cultural Heritage Scheme
(Ministry of Culture)
Features of the scheme
India has a vast basket of living and diverse cultural traditions, traditional expressions, intangible cultural heritage which need institutional support and encouragement to survive.
For this purpose, the Ministry of Culture has formulated a Scheme titled “Scheme for Safeguarding the Intangible Heritage and Diverse Cultural Traditions of India”, with the objective of revitalizing various institutions or individuals strengthening, protecting, preserving and promoting the rich [simple_tooltip content=’An intangible cultural heritage is not physical in nature. Culture, language, arts, social practices, festive events etc. of a country are called intangible cultural heritage.’] intangible cultural heritage [/simple_tooltip] of India.
- “Scheme for Safeguarding the Intangible Heritage and Diverse Cultural Traditions of India” was launched in the year 2018.
- Under this scheme financial assistance is given to the organization/individual so that they may engage in activities/projects regarding intangible cultural heritage protection.
- The scheme is being implemented through Sangeet Natak Akademi, an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Culture.
Features of the scheme
(1) Covered domains:
It covers all recognized domains of ICH such as
- oral traditions and expressions, including language as a vehicle of the intangible cultural heritage,
- Performing arts, Social practices, rituals and festive events,
- Knowledge and practices concerning nature and the universe,
- traditional craftsmanship etc.
(2) Pattern of assistance:
- Assistance under the scheme will be provided in the form of non-recurring grants, honoraria, infrastructure grants for the survival and propagation of all forms of ICH.
- Assistance will also be provided for short research and referencing work of relevance to ICH.
- It also supports initiative of Ministry of HRD in setting up Sector Skill Councils relating to art under National Vocational Educational Qualifications Framework (NVEQF).
(3) Eligibility criteria:
- The applicant organisations should have a properly constituted managing/ governing council/ body.
- For organisations the amount of financial assistance for specific projects will be up to Rs. 10 lakhs. For individuals, the amount of assistance would be up to Rs.5 lakhs.
- No fund will be granted for creation of infrastructure and physical assets under the scheme.
(4) Fund release pattern:
- The grant will be released in three installments – 50% in advance, 25% as 2nd installment after appraisal and balance 25% after completion of the project.
- The fund release will be done by electronic transfer.