(Ministry of Drinking water and Sanitation)
Key features of the scheme
Key points of the Yojana
(1) Launched year:
‘Swajal’ Yojana is launched in March 2018 under National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP) conducted by Ministry of Drinking water and Sanitation.
(2) Total outlay:
It is involved an outlay of Rs. 700 crores.
- To provide safe water powered by solar energy for drinking, cooking and other domestic basic needs to every rural person round the year.
- The scheme will train hundreds of rural technicians for operation and maintenance of Swajal units which generates employment in the rural areas.
(4) Covered areas:
- It was launched in 117 aspirational districts which are listed by the NITI Ayog in the country.
- In first phase, it is proposed to select pilot project district in six States, viz., Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan & Bihar
(5) Fund Management:
- Under the scheme, 90% of the project cost will be taken care by the Government and the remaining 10% of the project cost will be contributed by the community.
- The contribution from Gram Panchayat and communities will be against capital cost of water supply.
- It is a demand driven and community–led drinking water projects to be called ‘Swajal’.
- It is a community owned drinking water programme for sustained piped drinking water supply powered by solar energy.
- The Operations and management of the project will be taken care of by the local communities.
- The State Government shall act as a supporter, facilitator and co-financier and technical assistant.